Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Good Sound without the weight !

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Sound without the weight !

Ok, im my 94 Delsol, I want a little more bass than my 6.5" speakers will dish out.

I have some Infinity 6.5" in fronts and Pioneer 6.5" in rear, they sound good, I just want a little extra lower midrange and bass........

I don't want to do subs, speaker boxes, or amps because of added weight......

SO>..... I was thinking about using 6x9 lift rings and putting some 6x9's in the front doors to replace the 6.5"s

Anyone done this or something like that with 6x9's ?
Old 09-19-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Good Sound without the weight ! (ApolloSpeed)

probably should be in the audio forum.. but...

saving the hassle of putting them in the front and the added weight of the 6x9's in the front you could sacafice like 1 or 2 extra pounds and get one of those really tiny 4 channel amps for like 100 bucks that put out 3-400 watts (the sony 444 watt amp is great for this i've used it and its like no more than 150 at walmart) and use that to power just your rear speakers in a bridge mode. you can use the high level input from the stock wires in the back saving you weight of rca cables. if you got good 3 ways in the rear and as long as u dont over power them, you can get some nice deep sounding bass inside the cabin from 6x9's.

sorry just noticed you said 6.5 in the back too, if its not a hassle to put 6x9's in the rear then my idea would work....if not then i would ask someone else who used a 4 channel amp on 6.5's cuz i never did that and i dont watn to give you bad advice...if you still dont like using an amp, i put in a full sony system but before my sub i had 6.5 in front and 6x9 in back and my head unit only put out 45 watts per channel but it sounded really good from teh rear so thats an option if u dont want an amp jsut put in 6.x9s in the back and put more power to them.

hope this helps

Modified by homestarrunner96 at 8:30 PM 9/19/2005
Old 09-19-2005, 04:20 PM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A
Default Re: Good Sound without the weight ! (ApolloSpeed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ApolloSpeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, im my 94 Delsol, I want a little more bass than my 6.5" speakers will dish out.

I have some Infinity 6.5" in fronts and Pioneer 6.5" in rear, they sound good, I just want a little extra lower midrange and bass........

I don't want to do subs, speaker boxes, or amps because of added weight......

SO&gt;..... I was thinking about using 6x9 lift rings and putting some 6x9's in the front doors to replace the 6.5"s

Anyone done this or something like that with 6x9's ? </TD></TR></TABLE>If I remember correctly doesn't like 100 lbs only add about .1 to your QM time? I wouldn't worry about the weight at all. If you are that concerned pull the back and passanger seats, that will eliminate the added weight of other people in the car..
Old 09-19-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Good Sound without the weight ! (HondaFanatic708)

You could always look into some midrange speakers and a small amp to push them. I'm actually thinking about doing that. I didn't like having subs. Not because they were heavy, but because I didn't need the head thumping noise.

I asked a mod to move this.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Good Sound without the weight ! (HondaFanatic708)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaFanatic708 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If I remember correctly doesn't like 100 lbs only add about .1 to your QM time? I wouldn't worry about the weight at all. If you are that concerned pull the back and passanger seats, that will eliminate the added weight of other people in the car.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

if i'm not mistaken, a del sol doesn't have rear seats
Old 09-19-2005, 07:55 PM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A
Default Re: Good Sound without the weight ! (whal3_p3nis)

Yeah I didn't read his whole post, my bad.. But if your really worried about weight you should strip it. All or nothing in that case..
Old 09-19-2005, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just put a sub in a box... whenever you want to race the car (track, etc.), disconnect the sub and take it out... while on the street, it's not worth taking the sub out, imo

use a single 8 or 10 incher and a small amp and there you have it... you could also use thinner MDF... i used 3/4" MDF for my 12" incher and i'm happy but it's crazy heavy (possibly weights as much as the tranny with the sub mounted)
Old 09-19-2005, 08:40 PM
Me Gusta History

Default Re: (civic_driver)

I"m no del sol genius, but if you dont mind cutting up your rear panel, they make a lot of low profile subwoofers now adays that are only 8" wide and very very shallow, perhaps there is a way you could mount one to sit in that little box behind the seats, on the shelf type thing.

Or, you could do some things I researched when I was looking for some sound upgrades.

1. Bazooka tubes....they arent the cleanest, most expensive, or most powerful, but I was very pleased with the results, a small boost in bass in a small package. Some people dont like them, but if youre not looking to break any records or teach music theory via your speakers, it shouldnt be a problem

2. Under seat subs...low profile small subwoofers you can mount under your seat. Definitely out of the way, seen several homemade and ready to buy units.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (accordselux)

if you dont mind spending a grip, jl got a nice stealth box check it out
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/prod...=1403
i have one for my toy tacoma. nice and low key. thieves shouldn't even know you have it.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (accordselux)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accordselux &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I"m no del sol genius, but if you dont mind cutting up your rear panel, they make a lot of low profile subwoofers now adays that are only 8" wide and very very shallow, perhaps there is a way you could mount one to sit in that little box behind the seats, on the shelf type thing.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You will lose the ability to roll down the back window.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accordselux &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1. Bazooka tubes....they arent the cleanest, most expensive, or most powerful, but I was very pleased with the results, a small boost in bass in a small package. Some people dont like them, but if youre not looking to break any records or teach music theory via your speakers, it shouldnt be a problem

2. Under seat subs...low profile small subwoofers you can mount under your seat. Definitely out of the way, seen several homemade and ready to buy units.</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. Won't fit well unless its in the trunk, in which case he could get a reg sub/box.
2. Hard to do, but good option.

I have 6x9's mounted on my rear deck (made my own bracket and used speaker buckets), and 6.5's in the door. They get about 110 watts each, and its loud and sounds good. I did have a sub in the trunk before, which definitely gave me more bass, but the sub is just not worth the weight for me.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaFanatic708 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If I remember correctly doesn't like 100 lbs only add about .1 to your QM time? I wouldn't worry about the weight at all. </TD></TR></TABLE>

that all depends on your power to weight ratio. 100 lbs is pretty damn noticable though.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:59 AM

Default Re: (IHateJDM)

I mainly didn't want to lose the rear window rolling down.....or those back consoles (kinda convenient compartments).

But Can I put 6x9's in front doors or back pillars OR BOTH ?

I also noticed that blaupunkt makes a 2 1/4" deep 10" sub now (and can be used in open air!!! But not really sure how to mount that in a del sol.

Modified by ApolloSpeed at 1:16 PM 9/20/2005
Old 09-20-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Re: (ApolloSpeed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ApolloSpeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But Can I put 6x9's in front doors or back pillars OR BOTH ?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

6x9's can fit in the door and also in the back panel where the stock speakers are. Certain 6x9's are too deep, while others will fit, so be careful when you buy them. As for the 10, 2 1/4" is too deep to cut the back deck and keep the window. you could make a custom box for behind the passenger's seat that you could remove when racing. The del sol was not designed well for bass. IMO, just get good interior speakers, put some power on them, and enjoy the clarity of music, not sheer volume.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:20 PM

Well....I saw on the internet a picture of a guy that put some 6x9's in the back pillars (but not close enough to see how).

And I saw another picture of what looked like a guy using 6x9 lift rings to put some in the front doors by probably bolting the rings directly to the door panels.....instead of the actual door itself.......but I could be wrong.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:22 PM

they are both very possible, but you'll have to get creative. I've got 6x9's in the rear stock location. In retrospect i would put them in the doors though, the entire back deck rattles with the bass, and I hate adding weight to my car (dynamat).
Old 09-20-2005, 12:24 PM

what and where did you get the materials to mount them? and for doors if you were to ?
Old 09-20-2005, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (whal3_p3nis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by whal3_p3nis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you dont mind spending a grip, jl got a nice stealth box check it out
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/prod...=1403
i have one for my toy tacoma. nice and low key. thieves shouldn't even know you have it. </TD></TR></TABLE>
thats ******* sick. if i had a sol i would definately do that
Old 09-20-2005, 12:29 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ApolloSpeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what and where did you get the materials to mount them? and for doors if you were to ?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I got a set of 6x9's, then ordered speaker buckets from crutchfield. I had plastic rings from an old set of 6x9's. I used the plastic rings to seal the speakers in the buckets (air tight makes for much better sound). Then I just made my own brackets to mount to the rear deck from random crap in my garage. I cut all the plastic off the rear stock speaker covers (the part that holds the 6.5's), so all that remains is the grill. It sounds great, although I did have to turn down the output to those speakers some, as 6x9's are pretty loud when 6 inches from your ear.

As for the JL box, that's cool if you are that concerned with bass, and willing to spend the $. I like my storage too much to get rid of it. Funny how they advertise it as 93-98 del sols.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sure you can... you can put any speakers you want, anywhere you want.. you gotta fabricate your own mounting rings though
Old 09-20-2005, 12:39 PM

Default Re: (civic_driver)

I know what 6x9 lift rings are....but what are buckets ? Never heard or seen this ????

does that mean just 6x9 speaker boxes ?
Old 09-20-2005, 12:48 PM

my bad, the term is speaker baffle
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-8...ffles
Old 09-20-2005, 01:35 PM

i SEE....... so

Probably get the slim 6x9 baffles (3 1/2" deep).

A Set of 6x9 Lift Rings .......

and alot of custom *** riggin'

WOW....sounds like fun......
Old 09-22-2005, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93ejay1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93ejay1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
thats ******* sick. if i had a sol i would definately do that</TD></TR></TABLE>

got it in my tacoma, dont even notice that it's there. people always wonder why my sound system sounds good stock, until i tell them there's a sub. and then are in awe that they didn't even know where it was.