Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A good reminder to never buy a parts house compressor.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A good reminder to never buy a parts house compressor.

This is the 4th compressor I've done within 18 months on the wife's 96 LX sedan. The OEM one was making bad noises in June 2017, so I opted for a full system rebuild. I replaced the original with an Amazon "new" unit that shrieked like a banshee 24/7. Returned and had to pay the shipping fee. Second replacement was from ADV auto that blew its casing out in a week, like, it actually grenaded itself:

This next one was the third. I bench tested the clutch and it clicked, and seemed locked to the outer hub when turned by hand. Installed it on the car for another infernal screeching noise to notice the clutch was slipping no matter what, and A/C wasn't cooling. Both the outer hub and the pulley were worn flat and couldn't lock. The clutch on the 190k OEM compressor was in good condition(!???!) so I swapped it. This was July 2017.

Fast forward to today, and this is what I find when I'm told the A/C doesn't work anymore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc5p...ature=youtu.be

I realize that was likely the OEM bearing wearing out at about 210k, but I'm fairly pissed off. I've done work on Sunfires, Elantras, Dakotas, Corollas, 350z's, Firebirds, Neons etc. and NEVER had issues like this. Even our 2002 Civic cools pretty damn cold. I would replace the bearing, but the play caused the pulley and outer hub surfaces to shave eachother flat. It looks like I'm going to test my luck with another compressor unless we can fit a new CRV into the budget. I might be able to wait a few months since it's cooling down now. Let me tell you: Women only like to be sweaty in bed. This car is pissing us both the **** off.

Anyone else have stupidass luck with these older Civic compressors? I'm also on my 4th matsushita compressor for my 90 Si that won't stop ticking at an idle. Ready to burn both of these cars.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:18 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Re: A good reminder to never buy a parts house compressor.

What I've found, at least with Hondas, is you pretty much need to rebuild the entire system anytime you get a compressor failure, or any other type of system failure that risks contamination for that matter. I went through two compressor replacements like this on my Pilot, and finally said screw it because I'm not paying a shop $2000 to replace all the parts and flush and fill the system at the same time, which is essentially what needs to happen to make sure everything is cleaned out.

It all started because I had rear AC lines corrode and start leaking, which led to contamination and eventual failure of the original compressor.

That one you had that grenaded itself was pretty impressive though...
Old 10-10-2018, 03:20 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 221 Likes on 198 Posts

That's one reason why I buy a used compressor instead of those "NEW" ones. The quality definitely isn't there.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2x0
That one you had that grenaded itself was pretty impressive though...
Yeah I was like "wut" when I saw that. She said she heard nothing... HOW?

What I've found, at least with Hondas, is you pretty much need to rebuild the entire system anytime you get a compressor failure, or any other type of system failure that risks contamination for that matter. I went through two compressor replacements like this on my Pilot, and finally said screw it because I'm not paying a shop $2000 to replace all the parts and flush and fill the system at the same time, which is essentially what needs to happen to make sure everything is cleaned out.
This is not my first A/C rodeo, so I did just what you said from the start by replacing evap, TXV, condenser, compressor, and the drier; flushing lines and charging by weight. Believe it or not, the system was not contaminated after that lockup. I did still replace the condenser, evaporator, and receiver AGAIN just in case. I charged 23oz with a digital scale and tank, and had 5oz pag 46 in the system with a clean flush for each rebuild.

The other thing that baffles me: I've installed chinese Amazon compressors on a Firebird, a 350z, and even an 88 Chevy k1500. The Firebird even had metal in the orifice tube! None of those cars had A/C issues again. It's just these goddamn Hondas. My last compressor for the 90 Si was from ackits.com and it still made ticking noises. It's going to be another roll of the dice I suppose. We really do wanna fix it to keep it as a spare car.

That's one reason why I buy a used compressor instead of those "NEW" ones. The quality definitely isn't there.
I think for all new cars from here on out I'm going to pick up a new in box OEM A/C compressor and leave it on a shelf for the original to go bad. Usually they're not made anymore when I need them.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

denso brand is the only way to go, anything else is a gamble i wouldn't take.:no: