Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

going to the ca state referee... any advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going to the ca state referee... any advice

yup, im taking my hatch w/ a b18c1 this wednesday. so far i've installed new...

ngk copper plugs(gaped .51) $1.69 each @ napa
napa spark plug wires $40.00
k&n drop in filter $46.00 @ napa
4.2 quarts Mobil 1 fulsyn
oem honda oil filter

im using an oem eg6 air box, 00si header, stock cat, stock 00si muffler. i had to raised my car to stock height, removed my eg6 cluster placed my stock one in. ill keep you guys updated

Modified by stockegsix at 7:24 AM 3/1/2004
Old 02-17-2004, 12:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: going to the ca state referee... any advice (stockegsix)

dammit... i'm scared...
the court wants me to do one of those to get my liscence back... but i don't want to do it... i'll just pay the fine... i guess...
what do they check on the car..?¿¿ i got rid of all of my stock parts... i have no cat, and other stuff... like the wireing, and misc. stuff...
oh well... maybe i will do it next month...
Old 02-17-2004, 12:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: going to the ca state referee... any advice (gumbii)

I took my car there about 6 months ago. Believe me when I tell you that they check everything, wiring harness, number of o2 sensors, ecu, cat, clear numbers to include the year on the block, exhaust diameter, and CARB exemption numbers for any non stock component. My advice is..........if your car is will pass a smog check, and you have the above covered, your fine. I had to get a new cat due to high compression pistons making some high NOX levels.

Rob
Old 02-17-2004, 12:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

WTF?!?!?! exhaust diameter...¿¿¿
like... what part of the exhaust...?
all of the piping... or the muffler, and catalyst outlet/inlet..??¿¿
Old 02-17-2004, 12:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: going to the ca state referee... any advice (rjardy)

exhaust diameter? damn i got custom 2.25" piping, by the way my car passed a pre smog test at a test only smog station.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:57 AM
* B A N N E D *

b4 u get to the ref. drive ur car HARD. make sure u get ur cat good and hot. when ur waiting, keep ur car on idling. some tips i got from another friend who passed the state ref.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: going to the ca state referee... any advice (eeJayeiGht)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eeJayeiGht &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">b4 u get to the ref. drive ur car HARD. make sure u get ur cat good and hot. when ur waiting, keep ur car on idling. some tips i got from another friend who passed the state ref.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah thats what im gonna do, by the way which octane gas should i use 87 or 91?
i bought one of those "crc guaranteed to pass emissions test formula" from pep boys.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you search be and spade have posted up alot of info and help full hints for passing the Bar test. i passed mine
Old 02-17-2004, 01:16 AM
* B A N N E D *

b18c1? i hear 87 to garauntee a complete burn, but im not too sure how accurate that is. my fren reffed a b18b and used 87, but yet again, stock b18b's only need 87
Old 02-17-2004, 02:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stockegsix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i bought one of those "crc guaranteed to pass emissions test formula" from pep boys.</TD></TR></TABLE>

87 has a lower combustion point. add a bottle of rubbing alcohol too.

a lil FYi as well if your computer/knock sensor isn't picking up knock and retarding the timing, and u are not having detonation/preignition problems the lower octane fuel will yield more power.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:09 PM

good luck, you'll pass...youre ride looks stock already
Old 02-17-2004, 07:20 PM

i hate this time of year, i usually cant sleep when i'm about to smog the car.lucky me, those sleepless times are over goodluck!
Old 02-17-2004, 07:25 PM

Default Re: going to the ca state referee... any advice (fourdoorsleeper)

You'll be fine. Just make sure all your wiring is clean. You are using the right OBD ecu, a tune up, and an oil change. LIke stated above drive your car hard and let it idle while you are waiting to keep that cat nice and hot. Have faith!
Old 02-18-2004, 12:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: going to the ca state referee... any advice (BuddyClubDC2)

thanks man, i hope i pass, i want this bar sticker to get popo's off my back and i want everything legal this time
Old 02-18-2004, 12:42 AM

i bought one of those "crc guaranteed to pass emissions test formula" from pep boys.[/QUOTE]

use 87.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: going to the ca state referee... any advice (rjardy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rjardy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> clear numbers to include the year on the block

</TD></TR></TABLE>

is that only if the block has a vin?? i have a JDM block (no vin) and i heard that they dont know how to read the head stamp for the year the motor was made....

i just made my appointment for march 3rd.... here's my setup
- JDM b16a (they can pass, ive seen a JDM b18c pass) Sir-1 (gonna pass it off as a 93) USDM GSR Tranny, all converted to OBD1 (stock civic harness)
- USDM i/m and TB with charcoal canister and solenoid hooked up properly
- USDM Exhaust Mani
- USDM P30
- AEM SRI (carb exempt)
- Newish (yr old) Carsound 2.25" cat (has carb #'s on it)

im pretty confident it'll pass, esp if i dump some 87 in the tank. ive heard that people need to bring proof that the ECU is correct for the motor... does anyone know if the alameda college ref asks for it??

ive also heard that if your car is too low, then the ref wont smog it on the dyno, and just stick the sniffer in the tail pipe..... so im gonna keep my **** slammed =P
Old 02-18-2004, 01:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

make sure u have the correct ecu for the engine. a us obd-1 gsr is what you need, or u could make a fake sticker and place it over whatever ecu you have.

you have to goto honda and get a piece of paper, saying the p72 ecu is the correct one for the b18c1. it will also have a number which should match up with the ecu. ca and 49 state ones are different.

make sure u do an oil change right before you go, run some nice 91 or better and make sure the car is super hot before u get there.

oh yea.. make sure ur egr and vacum hoses are all hooked up and are in the correct place.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:08 AM

Default Re: going to the ca state referee... any advice (dantastic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dantastic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

is that only if the block has a vin?? i have a JDM block (no vin) and i heard that they dont know how to read the head stamp for the year the motor was made....
</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think you do need a serial number on your tranny...even if it is jdm..jdm trannies do still have numbers on the block....

so if you bring it to the ref without a serial number sticker on the tranny it looks like your tranny was stolen... even if it is a jdm tranny...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dantastic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i just made my appointment for march 3rd.... here's my setup
- JDM b16a (they can pass, ive seen a JDM b18c pass) Sir-1 (gonna pass it off as a 93) USDM GSR Tranny, all converted to OBD1 (stock civic harness)
- USDM i/m and TB with charcoal canister and solenoid hooked up properly
- USDM Exhaust Mani
- USDM P30
- AEM SRI (carb exempt)
- Newish (yr old) Carsound 2.25" cat (has carb #'s on it)

im pretty confident it'll pass, esp if i dump some 87 in the tank. ive heard that people need to bring proof that the ECU is correct for the motor... does anyone know if the alameda college ref asks for it??

</TD></TR></TABLE>

ur motor looks like it should pass...just hopefully it passes emissions...also for emissions u guys can try changing ur oil to 10-40

ive also heard that if your car is too low, then the ref wont smog it on the dyno, and just stick the sniffer in the tail pipe..... so im gonna keep my **** slammed =P</TD></TR></TABLE>

im not sure but i saw a crx while i was at the ref and it wasn't low at all...and they used the tailpipe emissions test...

im pretty sure the tailpipe test is a little harder to pass because there isnt a load on your car....

anyways..good luck..

Old 02-18-2004, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: going to the ca state referee... any advice (degooser)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by degooser &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i think you do need a serial number on your tranny...even if it is jdm..jdm trannies do still have numbers on the block....

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ummm, no they don't. I have a CTR tranny in my hatch, NO numbers anywhere on the tranny. I have seen several trannies from Japan, no numbers on them. They will not check either, I put mine through the ref with no problems.

There seems to be lots of **** in this thread... From what octane to use, to putting alcohol in your gas, to "gauranteed to pass" emissions ****. Look, you don't need any of that bullshit. Why would you put all that crap in your engine? The sniffer is NOT the part to worry about. If your stock internals and have everything hooked up then trust me, you will pass this portion of the test. The visual is going to be what you need to worry about. Hondas burn clean to begin with, so put 91 in it and call it good. I would NOT run 87 in a GSR engine, but its your engine.

Couple things to make sure of. Make absolutely sure the ECU you are running is a P72 and its a USDM California ecu. Yes, they will check to make sure its a CALIFORNIA specific Ecu. Also, the header may not pass. Why you ask? Simple, it has a carb number on it that will point to a 99-00 Si with a B16, you are not trying to smog a B16, but a B18. If it were me, I would swap the header out with a stock manifold to assure no problems.

And the crap about them measuring exhaust size, they never checked mine and I went in there with a custom 2.5" exhaust. Also, why did you raise the car up and yank the cluster? They don't care about the ride hieght unless its slammed and they can't get it on the dyno. I went with the JDM cluster in my EG and had no complaints.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:34 AM

Default Re: going to the ca state referee... any advice (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ummm, no they don't. I have a CTR tranny in my hatch, NO numbers anywhere on the tranny. I have seen several trannies from Japan, no numbers on them. They will not check either, I put mine through the ref with no problems.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

my jdm cable tranny has a serial number on it and also my gf's jdm gsr tranny has a serial number on it also...

well for reassurance i would leave the serial number on the tranny..

if you get pulled over and the cop dosent see a serial number you are screwed...how are you supposed to prove that it is not stolen?? even if it is jdm...?

my homie got pulled over and didnt have a serial number on his tranny and when the cop checked his car...he had to forfit the tranny because there is no serial number...no serial number no questions...

maybe he was being a super dick that day but i wouldn't risk it...
Old 02-18-2004, 06:53 AM
Munkyw3rkz.webs.com

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

There seems to be lots of **** in this thread... From what octane to use, to putting alcohol in your gas, to "gauranteed to pass" emissions ****. Look, you don't need any of that bullshit. Why would you put all that crap in your engine? The sniffer is NOT the part to worry about. If your stock internals and have everything hooked up then trust me, you will pass this portion of the test. The visual is going to be what you need to worry about. Hondas burn clean to begin with, so put 91 in it and call it good. I would NOT run 87 in a GSR engine, but its your engine.

Couple things to make sure of. Make absolutely sure the ECU you are running is a P72 and its a USDM California ecu. Yes, they will check to make sure its a CALIFORNIA specific Ecu. Also, the header may not pass. Why you ask? Simple, it has a carb number on it that will point to a 99-00 Si with a B16, you are not trying to smog a B16, but a B18. If it were me, I would swap the header out with a stock manifold to assure no problems.

And the crap about them measuring exhaust size, they never checked mine and I went in there with a custom 2.5" exhaust. Also, why did you raise the car up and yank the cluster? They don't care about the ride hieght unless its slammed and they can't get it on the dyno. I went with the JDM cluster in my EG and had no complaints.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well put the visual is what will get you!
Old 02-18-2004, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: going to the ca state referee... any advice (degooser)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by degooser &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

my jdm cable tranny has a serial number on it and also my gf's jdm gsr tranny has a serial number on it also...

well for reassurance i would leave the serial number on the tranny..

if you get pulled over and the cop dosent see a serial number you are screwed...how are you supposed to prove that it is not stolen?? even if it is jdm...?

my homie got pulled over and didnt have a serial number on his tranny and when the cop checked his car...he had to forfit the tranny because there is no serial number...no serial number no questions...

maybe he was being a super dick that day but i wouldn't risk it...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, considering the R trannies have no numbers or bar codes on them, I would say you prove it isn't stolen with a bill of sale.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:41 AM

isnt that were the itr serial # or what not is?
Old 02-18-2004, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

all the tranny's ive seen have s/n and tranny code on them. jdm trannys just lack a vin plate
Old 02-18-2004, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stockegsix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yup, im taking my hatch w/ a b18c1 this wednesday. so far i've installed new...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

lemme know how it goes... which ref are u going to?

Quick Reply: going to the ca state referee... any advice