Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

go or no go?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default go or no go?

Someone is willing to trade me a 97 ek hatch with a b16 engine swap. The thing is he said its running a itr ecu and manifold. So he can't pass smog. What do I need to do to pass smog? And he said he has no receipts for engine and stuff. But says its legit. Can I still BAR this car without the receipts?
Old 08-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: go or no go? (mortificationrock)

Please someone shed me some light since I know nothing about swaps. And I have to make a decision quick. He's trading it for my eg8 with a brand new turbo kit that's not installed. Should I or not?
Old 08-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well you would need the right ecu and they would probably make you get the right manifold. The receipts don't matter. I would look out though because you can end up with the biggest headache. It took me at least 7 times and a lot of money to finally get my car BARed.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: go or no go? (mike03,95civic)

But would it be worth it against my current setup? Will it be more peppy? I mean I just had my little girl so I really having second thoughts of going turbo. Plus this hatch is very clean. And has gsr interior etc. I kind of figured he had the wrong ecu and manifold. But I can probaly get another ecu and manifold in due time. I will also remove that whack *** vtec controller he says he has on it. Man I just don't know what to do. I really,really,really want a hatch.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Go with the N/A Civic, switch out the manifold and get a proper ECU. BAR it, and enjoy how long it will last you with relatively little maintenance compared to a turbo setup.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: go or no go? (BlackoutVTi)

Sounds like a decent trade - but if he can't get the thing to pass BAR, it sounds like you'll just be trading him for a bunch of problems - and with your daughter being just born 'n all, you really don't need transportation to become an issue.

Tell him the truth, you don't like the fact that it can't be BAR'ed, therefore, you might not have a reliable (by reliable I mean getting or not getting a ticket) daily driver.

Against your setup will it be more peppy? If you put the turbo on you'll have more power than his car, both a boosted B7 and a B16 make their power up high, no low-end torque, and you'll make about 60 or so more peak whp than him on a 200whp dyno tuned. Plus your cars weigh about the same. You'll blow him away. Stock, he'll beat you. Though not until the later third of each gear when the B16 enters its powerband - daily drivability will feel basically exactly the same, unless you pin it to the floor, where at about 4-5k it'll change and the B16 will take off - your turbo will be about the same but since the rev limit is lower (6700?) - a properly sized turbo should start spooling at around 2250-2500. So you'll be faster in ur car, and it'll feel better in lower RPM b/c you'll have power but you won't have to shift as much due to the longer trans.

Carfax the VIN's - especially the engine's VIN, if they all check out, then it shouldn't be more than just changing the ECU to get it to pass smog (unless they bitch about the intake also, in which case you'll have to change that). Though since he has no receipts, I'd carfax the VIN, pretty sure all OBD-II motors had VIN's stamped on them.

I'd be weary though, you never know what he has up his sleeve.

What I would do?
Stick with the B7, put the turbo on it and tune it. It'll blow his hatch's doors off plus get better gas mileage.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: go or no go? (BlackoutVTi)

So you guys are saying I can Bar it without receipts? Man [freak]. I really am against the wall. I love how the ek hatches look. Being a plus that it has a b16 swap. I might turbo the b16 anyways but in the long run. When she's older. Meanwhile im getting a b18c for my ej8.LoL. He says it has:

CLEAN TITLE 97 SILVER OEM COLOR
GSR BLACK LEATHER INTERIOR
B16 MOTOR AND TRANS
CARBON FIBER WING,TYPE R LIP,JDM VISORS,SPOON MIRRORS,SI-R HEADLIGHTS,CTR GRILL,STRUTS,NUESPEED SPRING,ITR MANIFOL,ITR ECU,AEM FUEL RAIL,LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL,BRAND NEW OEM CLUTCH LESS THAN 100 MILES ON IT, 16 INCH ROTAS (VOLK COPIES) GREY W/POLISHED LIP GOOD TIRES ALL THE WAY AROUND FALKENS!
Old 08-06-2008, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: go or no go? (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like a decent trade - but if he can't get the thing to pass BAR, it sounds like you'll just be trading him for a bunch of problems - and with your daughter being just born 'n all, you really don't need transportation to become an issue.

Tell him the truth, you don't like the fact that it can't be BAR'ed, therefore, you might not have a reliable (by reliable I mean getting or not getting a ticket) daily driver.

Against your setup will it be more peppy? If you put the turbo on you'll have more power than his car, both a boosted B7 and a B16 make their power up high, no low-end torque, and you'll make about 60 or so more peak whp than him on a 200whp dyno tuned. Plus your cars weigh about the same. You'll blow him away. Stock, he'll beat you. Though not until the later third of each gear when the B16 enters its powerband - daily drivability will feel basically exactly the same, unless you pin it to the floor, where at about 4-5k it'll change and the B16 will take off - your turbo will be about the same but since the rev limit is lower (6700?) - a properly sized turbo should start spooling at around 2250-2500. So you'll be faster in ur car, and it'll feel better in lower RPM b/c you'll have power but you won't have to shift as much due to the longer trans.

Carfax the VIN's - especially the engine's VIN, if they all check out, then it shouldn't be more than just changing the ECU to get it to pass smog (unless they bitch about the intake also, in which case you'll have to change that). Though since he has no receipts, I'd carfax the VIN, pretty sure all OBD-II motors had VIN's stamped on them.

I'd be weary though, you never know what he has up his sleeve.

What I would do?
Stick with the B7, put the turbo on it and tune it. It'll blow his hatch's doors off plus get better gas mileage.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I don't have a b7. I have a jdm d15b vtec. My current setup:

Jdm D15B Vtec
Si tranny with light flywheel and stage 3 clutch
Obx header
Full catback 2.25
Intake SRI
Skunk2 manifold
Msd ignition coil and spark plug wires.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump for some more opinions.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump
Old 08-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is this your DD or weekend warrior?

the trade seems fair, any pics? what kind of turbo setup are you throwing in with the trade? mods list of both cars plz, not just motor mods.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bmoua)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmoua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is this your DD or weekend warrior?

the trade seems fair, any pics? what kind of turbo setup are you throwing in with the trade? mods list of both cars plz, not just motor mods. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I listed the other guys mods. As for mine you can find them here: http://www.hondamarketplace.co...58501

That pretty much covers my part. Why you want to trade?
Old 08-06-2008, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd keep your current car. I'd wait until another car comes along. =/
Old 08-06-2008, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mortificationrock)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mortificationrock &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I listed the other guys mods. As for mine you can find them here: http://www.hondamarketplace.co...58501

That pretty much covers my part. Why you want to trade? </TD></TR></TABLE>

just from my opinion...dont do it. Keep your civic and boost, secondly buy another DD. Something thats safe to travel your daughter around. My uncle bought a new 07 civic 4door lx and got into a accident, thankfully my little cousin was not in the car. Few weeks after he traded in his civic for a new accord. Just my opinion.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:36 PM

do it but be careful. but i do love EKs.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mortificationrock &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well I don't have a b7. I have a jdm d15b vtec. My current setup:

Jdm D15B Vtec
Si tranny with light flywheel and stage 3 clutch
Obx header
Full catback 2.25
Intake SRI
Skunk2 manifold
Msd ignition coil and spark plug wires.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Everything I said still stands 100%. Just substitute "B7" for "D15B."
Old 08-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bmoua)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmoua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just from my opinion...dont do it. Keep your civic and boost, secondly buy another DD. Something thats safe to travel your daughter around. My uncle bought a new 07 civic 4door lx and got into a accident, thankfully my little cousin was not in the car. Few weeks after he traded in his civic for a new accord. Just my opinion. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I do have another car. My 97 Ej8. And basically I always drive both cars. Sometimes one in the morning and the other at night. Or vice versa. Or one during the week and one during the weekend. Basically I consider both my DD. I don't discriminate.LoL..... but man I don't know what it is about Ek hatchies that makes me wanna bust a nut. LoL. Im in love with those.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I do have another car. My 97 Ej8. And basically I always drive both cars. Sometimes one in the morning and the other at night. Or vice versa. Or one during the week and one during the weekend. Basically I consider both my DD. I don't discriminate.LoL..... but man I don't know what it is about Ek hatchies that makes me wanna bust a nut. LoL. Im in love with those. </TD></TR></TABLE>

true, i have a 99 coupe and love it to death.

if anything do the swap and make sure to drive the ej8 when taking your daughter around.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you should trade since you got another car, but do be prepared for the bugs that it might have.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And the question remains. But this time with an update. I got another deal. This one involves a 00 Em1. All stock. Only prob is that it has salvage title due to theft. And that the parts he replaced im guessing with OEM ones are diffirent color. The car is red and the hood and bumper are Si blue. It has around 90-100k. I forgot how many. Is this a reasonable trade? Can I actually produce good power out of this b16a2?

Thank you for your opinions on this subject.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There's a reason he wants to trade. Obviously he thinks your car is better.

Stick with your car, you know where it's been, you never know if you're going to run into a **** load of problems or not when you buy a car that's already modded.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (drtysohc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drtysohc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There's a reason he wants to trade. Obviously he thinks your car is better.

Stick with your car, you know where it's been, you never know if you're going to run into a **** load of problems or not when you buy a car that's already modded. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok........which one are you refering to? Cuz I know I clearly said the Em1 is stock.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

TTT
Old 08-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mortificationrock &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And the question remains. But this time with an update. I got another deal. This one involves a 00 Em1. All stock. Only prob is that it has salvage title due to theft. And that the parts he replaced im guessing with OEM ones are diffirent color. The car is red and the hood and bumper are Si blue. It has around 90-100k. I forgot how many. Is this a reasonable trade? Can I actually produce good power out of this b16a2?

Thank you for your opinions on this subject. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not only are Si's thief magnets, but stay the fu8k away from salvage titles.

It's like a hot girl, tons of STD's, and ABSOLUTELY NO CONDOMS.

As appealing as it might be, stay away. I learned that lesson one too many times. (salvage titles...not girls with STD's...)

EDIT:
PS: Si's will pump up ur insurance too.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: go or no go? (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not only are Si's thief magnets, but stay the fu8k away from salvage titles.

It's like a hot girl, tons of STD's, and ABSOLUTELY NO CONDOMS.

As appealing as it might be, stay away. I learned that lesson one too many times. (salvage titles...not girls with STD's...)

EDIT:
PS: Si's will pump up ur insurance too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well believe it or not my 97 Ej8 is salvage title and I've had no problems with it so far. Everything was stock. I mean too me its not a big deal. It didn't have any frame damage so who knows? And yeah I know they are thief magnets but I have a garage so im not really worried. Im more worried about getting my turbo eg stolen than a em1.

Quick Reply: go or no go?