Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Gives Problems To Start Sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gives Problems To Start Sometimes

It's been doing it for about 3 weeks now..

The cars problem began to worsen about a week ago..

It used to hesitate when starting then the rpms went up and it settled nicely.. then it began just to turn over but not start..

The first time it did this to me the night before it slept outside till about midnight turned it on and drove it into the garage, next mornig car wouldn't start so I pushed the car out of the garage and left it until 5pm when I got out of work. When I got home it turned on like nothing had happened.

About two days later I turn it on and I'm checking the coolant level it was misisn a bit so I was putting in some water and I beleive some water splashed around and the car turned off abrutly and didn't want to start.. I waited for a while and then it turned on nicely..

After that it didn't give me problem for a couple of days.. it kind of hesitated after starting but just a bit then as I say rpms ran up to about 1200 as it always does when you turn it on for the first time in the morning and stabilizes and no problems..

Friday morning it doesn't want to start again (AND STARTING TO BELIEVE MY CAR HAS AN ALTER EGO) I HAD WASHED IT THE NIGHT BEFORE..

So that morning I open up the ignition check all the voltages on the module and ignition coil everything is in specs compared to the manual.. I check the distributer cap it shows no sign of having water or anything moistening it.. SINCE MY ROTOR (I don't know if you guys call it this way PLEASE EXCUSE MY ENGLISH IM FROM PUERTO RICO) the thingy that goes round and round got OWNED by me when I was pulling it out YES I TOOK THE SCREW OFF it was just almost soldered, well since I broke it taking it out and keep the ignition out of the car and later that day I get home with the rotor put everything back in and turn the car on and I starts nicely..

I have NO IDEA WHAT ELSE IT CAN BE..

Module checks out fine
Ignition coil checks out fine
No sign of moisture in the distributor cap which also looks fine inside
Spark plugs don't look faulty and they check out well also withing specs

Some people tell me it could be the main relay starting to give out..
Other tell me the distributer cap could be cracked even a bit somewhere and it gets moisture inside..

I HAVE ALMOST DECLARED MY CAR TO BE BIPOLAR..

Anyone has experienced this in their car???

Why is it when it sleeps outside it doesn;t want to turn on but once the sun gets on the car it turns on, why did it turn off when it got splashed with just a bit of water over the distributor area? I've cleaned motors and none have ever done this to me and this one I wasn't washing just a bit of water fell on the area..

Any info would be appreciated..

The car is an aut 94 del sol with a d15b7
Old 10-08-2005, 11:01 PM

Forgot to say, once the car starts it gives no problems during the day even if I turn it off and on 15 times.. as today it did't want to start rolled it out of the garage and tried an hour later turned on and I used it all day and turned it off/on aout 10 times and it gave no problems.. the transition from night to day is killing him even though he sleeps inside a garage..
Old 10-09-2005, 01:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check main relay... typical bipolar symptoms
Old 10-09-2005, 07:05 AM

Default Re: (civic_driver)

Thanks will do, even though the main relay seems to be working when the car fails to start you can still hear the fuel pump activating.. but some people have told me it can be related to the relay..

Anyone has had its car act like this before?
Old 10-09-2005, 11:24 AM

Anyone?
Old 10-09-2005, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine did it, it was the main relay... you need to resolder every joint on the main relay board
Old 10-09-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Re: (civic_driver)

my 93 honda civic cx was doing the same thing, i bought a new relay for $40 from the dealer and now it works fine