Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

getting ready to do my first suspension................

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting ready to do my first suspension................

I just want to know if there is anything special or anything really difficult with putting on new shocks and springs on a 95 Civic. This is the first time I have ever done a suspension. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

BTW they are KYB GR2's with Tein S-Tech's
Old 08-11-2004, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: getting ready to do my first suspension................ (XoUnKoWnXo)

Nope it's all pretty straight forward. Just dive into it. Watch out for the rear LCA bolt, as that may seize up and snap..... it's not fun at that point.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes rear LCA bolts are a bitch. They may be seized and perhaps you will have to cut the bolts out.
If you are short on cash and need the car be careful you might need to run to the dealer for bushings or bolts.
Have a breaker bar on hand but make it last resort. Also get a torch. Heating them up is an excellent way to let loose
Old 08-11-2004, 08:42 PM

Default Re: getting ready to do my first suspension................ (spyderracing32)

I agrea be prepared to cut them both out, i had to on mine. (Bolt that the rear shocks use to connect to the lower controll arm) If i were you id get new bolts and bushings ahead of time just in case. I allways like to have extra parts rather then not having the right ones on hand. As for the front end i needed a pry bar to put tension on the upper ball joint to get the nut back on tight. Any questions hit me up id be glade to give you a hand. (tech stuff only) by the way its not incredibly hard to do, but you will break a sweat especially if you dont have air tools
Old 08-11-2004, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: getting ready to do my first suspension................ (XoUnKoWnXo)

Before the install, I would go to the dealership and buy extra lca bolts and bushings incase you end up breaking those bolts. It'll save you time.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:46 PM

Default Re: getting ready to do my first suspension................ (nocternaldragon)

I got some bolts from autozone and some new bushings from my local performance shop cost me about $25 total for performance bushings considering the new suspension cost me close to $500 what did i care? lol
Old 08-11-2004, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: getting ready to do my first suspension................ (nocternaldragon)

Biggest thing for me my first time was the spring compressor. But I found a safe way to do the whole thing w/out spring compressors. Just make sure you have everything you need and then you don't have to disassemble the stock shocks. Many companies, like Tokico etc don't include the little metal rings for the strut rod. Or the upper spring perches.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:02 PM

Default Re: getting ready to do my first suspension................ (shaundrake)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shaundrake &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Biggest thing for me my first time was the spring compressor. But I found a safe way to do the whole thing w/out spring compressors. Just make sure you have everything you need and then you don't have to disassemble the stock shocks. Many companies, like Tokico etc don't include the little metal rings for the strut rod. Or the upper spring perches.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agead i forgot about that. hehe my uncle owns a shop so i never think hey the average guy wouldent have one of these jusy laying around. My tokico dident include any of the extra hardware either i had to reuse some components, all i got were new springs shocks/struts and bushings pins.

You may want to get some new shock boots. i forgot about that and had to reuse the nasty stock ones
Old 08-12-2004, 05:46 AM

Yeah I also forgot to mention I will be doing this at my step dads shop with airtools, torches, a spring compressor and all that other handy stuff. I am calling the dealer to order my rear LCA bolts and bushings right now.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:56 AM

Awesome.............10.15 a bolt! lol oh well I guess I need them