Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Getting a new motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a new motor

Well i bought a 93 del sol w/ automatic transmission and it had probably the weakest engine ive ever owned. i want to get a vtec but i dont know **** about motors other than the fact that vtecs are a WHOLE LOT faster. i found a link to one im thinking about getting because someone told me jdm h22a dohc vtec was the best honda makes. im not here to argue over which motors are better. i really dont know, but would this motor be easily swapped with the lame *** one i got now? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...wItem
Old 12-07-2007, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Getting a new motor (Spectre2004)

Well you havent given us a budget, whether your doing the work or someone else, also if yours is an automatic then your going to need to swap a 5speed in there if your looking for performance. We need more info bro.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:28 AM
Occupy GDD

SEARCH function is your best friend

But to answer your question no it will not be an easy swap. Most "way faster" vtec swaps are manual and you have an auto. Honestly sell your car and get a manual transmission car and go from there. Auto to manual swap is a pain and not worth it.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

as far as easy swaps go - h22 swaps require a tiny bit of modification i believe. any B series swap is pretty much plug-n-play. if you are going to swap anything, in my opinion id swap a B18C1 (aka GS-R). motor has great hp/tq numbers and has TONS of potential.

http://hmotorsonline.com/shop/...gines

this is the best place to get reliable swaps at a good price. good luck.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:34 AM

Default Re: Getting a new motor (96 EX)

i guess my budget on the motor itself would be around $2000 and i dont really want to switch to manual. i know i know....im not looking to have the fastest del sol around. i just want one thats pretty quick. i currently have no ride right now so im not too picky.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

for 2grand id say the best you're looking at is a B16a2 swap - or..you can buy a d16y8 (single cam vtec swaps are super cheap) and with the rest of the money you can mod it a little bit
Old 12-07-2007, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spectre2004 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i guess my budget on the motor itself would be around $2000 and i dont really want to switch to manual. i know i know....im not looking to have the fastest del sol around. i just want one thats pretty quick. i currently have no ride right now so im not too picky.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If your not gonna do a manual swap, don't bother swapping motor.

Automatic FTL.

Rather, invest in a suspension setup. Your car will drive like a totally differnt car.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Getting a new motor (Xathine)

hes not racing - he just wants something quicker than what he has now. suspension wont make his car quicker. although putting a sohc vtec AND suspension will probably make a ton of difference

...even if it's auto
Old 12-07-2007, 08:55 AM

Default Re: Getting a new motor (Probot)

so this one would be my best bet probably? oh and the motor in it now has a blown headgasket...but thats not important. all i need to know is if these engines can swap out fairly easily
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...wItem

Modified by Spectre2004 at 10:06 AM 12/7/2007
Old 12-07-2007, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it would be, but i wouldnt trust egay if i was you..id buy from somewhere reputable..like the link i sent you
Old 12-07-2007, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Probot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hes not racing - he just wants something quicker than what he has now. suspension wont make his car quicker. although putting a sohc vtec AND suspension will probably make a ton of difference

...even if it's auto</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nah, a good suspension will make a car "feel" quicker. And if he is just DD what do you need more power for? Is it going to make you feel that much better knowing you just beat some old guy in his camery to the next red light?

To each his own.

If I were you, I'd invest in suspension. Get a nice 95 EX lip. Decent set of rims.

IF your still set out on doing a swap, just for the sole reason of "Vtec" eaither swap in a z6 / y8 or do a "mini-me."

I also recomend visiting the "Del Sol Owners Club" in the Appearance and Cosmetic section...

Old 12-07-2007, 09:04 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spectre2004 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well i bought a 93 del sol w/ automatic transmission and it had probably the weakest engine ive ever owned. i want to get a vtec but i dont know **** about motors other than the fact that vtecs are a WHOLE LOT faster. i found a link to one im thinking about getting because someone told me jdm h22a dohc vtec was the best honda makes. im not here to argue over which motors are better. i really dont know, but would this motor be easily swapped with the lame *** one i got now? [url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-H22A-DOHC-VTEC[/url]</TD></TR></TABLE>

What I would recommend is either convert to manual shift or sell the Sol and get a manual one. And since your car is OBDI, I recommend a 94-95 JDM B18C Integra Si VTEC motor (178-180hp depending what the info source is). I asked Hmotorsonline.com a couple weeks ago if the carry the OBDI B18C and they said they do.

JDM 96+ up non type r VTEC Integras are known as SiR-G (OBDII)
Old 12-07-2007, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Xathine &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Nah, a good suspension will make a car "feel" quicker. And if he is just DD what do you need more power for? Is it going to make you feel that much better knowing you just beat some old guy in his camery to the next red light?

To each his own.

If I were you, I'd invest in suspension. Get a nice 95 EX lip. Decent set of rims.

IF your still set out on doing a swap, just for the sole reason of "Vtec" eaither swap in a z6 / y8 or do a "mini-me."

I also recomend visiting the "Del Sol Owners Club" in the Appearance and Cosmetic section...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

agreed
Old 12-07-2007, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

Im a B18b1 wh0re so you know what gets my vote...
Old 12-07-2007, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (95ProjectEJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im a B18b1 wh0re so you know what gets my vote...</TD></TR></TABLE>

lmao was SERIOUSLY waiting for that!! lol
Old 12-07-2007, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LINKS:

Swaps availabe to you:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/878010

"Mini-me"
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=554053

Del Sol Owners Club
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1762981

General FAQ
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1998336

Old 12-07-2007, 09:11 AM

...i knew one of you people would show up eventually. yeah..... i want to get it a little faster so i can beat an old man in a camry who isnt paying attention. that makes sense. go annoy someone else
Old 12-07-2007, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spectre2004 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...i knew one of you people would show up eventually. yeah..... i want to get it a little faster so i can beat an old man in a camry who isnt paying attention. that makes sense. go annoy someone else</TD></TR></TABLE>

Annoy?

I just provided you with 2x the information anyone else in this thread gave you.

And regardless of what anyone tells you, $2,000 for a swap is going to be pushing it for any swap. Unless, you have spare parts laying around your house, and the mechanical know how to swap it yourself - which I doubt you have posting links to ebay motors, $2,000 isn't going to get you anything but a head ache.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Xathine &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Annoy?

I just provided you with 2x the information anyone else in this thread gave you.

And regardless of what anyone tells you, $2,000 for a swap is going to be pushing it for any swap. Unless, you have spare parts laying around your house, and the mechanical know how to swap it yourself - which I doubt you have posting links to ebay motors, $2,000 isn't going to get you anything but a head ache.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I doubt a 2k budget will get that in your car. If you're smart when you get the engine you'd do a seal replacement kit on it (including the headgasket) and the timing belt. Then you need the H to civic mounts, H to civic axles, H series or F series cable shifter linkage, wire up the IAB, wire up VTEC (if you don't already have it), wire up the resistor box, and you're ready to roll.

Just might wanna make sure the engine is the same year as your car so you don't have to do a lot of harness end swapping.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Xathine said it. delslow/auto/blown hg + 2k + lack of knowledge = headache.

ebay isn't where it's at.

personally. sell the car as is and find someone who has a swapped civic/sol
Old 12-07-2007, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Getting a new motor (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah, I doubt a 2k budget will get that in your car. If you're smart when you get the engine you'd do a seal replacement kit on it (including the headgasket) and the timing belt. Then you need the H to civic mounts, H to civic axles, H series or F series cable shifter linkage, wire up the IAB, wire up VTEC (if you don't already have it), wire up the resistor box, and you're ready to roll.

Just might wanna make sure the engine is the same year as your car so you don't have to do a lot of harness end swapping.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you.

Now, spectre2004 I'll repeat myself one more time.

Being how you didn't give us really much information, I'm going to assume you have the basic S model Del Sol. Which means you have a D series NON VTEC motor. The only motors that will "easily" be swapped into your car with out much effort would be another D series motor, such as the D16Z6 or the D16Y8.

*IF* you want to swap out a different motor class such as your H or even a B series motor. Your in for ALOT more work. I will not take the time to explain it to you, as you can find the information in the FAQ link that I provided several posts above this.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you.

Now, spectre2004 I'll repeat myself one more time.

Being how you didn't give us really much information, I'm going to assume you have the basic S model Del Sol. Which means you have a D series NON VTEC motor. The only motors that will "easily" be swapped into your car with out much effort would be another D series motor, such as the D16Z6 or the D16Y8.

*IF* you want to swap out a different motor class such as your H or even a B series motor. Your in for ALOT more work. I will not take the time to explain it to you, as you can find the information in the FAQ link that I provided several posts above this.</TD></TR></TABLE>

/thread