Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Getting my Eg faster???

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting my Eg faster???

I just bought a 94' Civic hacthback Dx.

I need some pointers on hooking it up! Such as the best ways to hook it up in a not to expensive manner.
Ideas?
So far i got DC headers and a AEM intake.

Thanx.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Getting my Eg faster???

search for "mini-me swap".
Old 07-27-2010, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D16SiHatch
search for "mini-me swap".

what is your budget? u can do a mini-me swap and home made turbo for about the same price as a gsr swap. building up a sohc motor is fairly cheap and you can make good power.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ight, about 1,200. i wanted some performance parts that could have a dramatic change?
Old 07-27-2010, 10:08 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

1200 can get a pretty good mini-me.

it's still a single but atleast you have vtec
Old 07-27-2010, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its single cam.
Nah sadly no vtec.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Master Detailer

Thats the hole point of a mini-me non vtec block with a vtec head. Same thing as ls/vtec just missing a cam.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

heres a pic of my car, tell me how it looks?.
i bought headlinghts and amber, Jdm fog lights and 15" Rota"s
Old 07-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh.lol i get u. SO wat would i do, Im a complete noobie at this. SO i should buy what type of head?
Old 07-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Master Detailer

Looks like a good start. Deffiently needs to be lowerd and get a lip.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lowered? would look sick but it hits on the rear tire.? its has tokico springs and shocks is there a way to adjust it?
Old 07-27-2010, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there is no way to adjust springs. if your rubbing in the rear roll your fenders and rear section.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do you want it "faster" like over all more top speed? or do you want it "quicker", like getting to redline in each gear faster? if it's the second, you should swap in an si tranny. the fd and short gearing should be fun for ya. i know i'm never going back to a long geared one.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DCRB
do you want it "faster" like over all more top speed? or do you want it "quicker", like getting to redline in each gear faster? if it's the second, you should swap in an si tranny. the fd and short gearing should be fun for ya. i know i'm never going back to a long geared one.
X2
Old 07-28-2010, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks nice, I agree with a lip and lowered

You'll want to look for a z6 head then read up on how to build a mini me so you won't have problems, also a nice little turbo will get you more power yet

Also yes if it has the CX(DX) trans, replace it with an EX or SI trans, long gearing sux for overall driveability
Old 07-28-2010, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

One thing i gotta say first, SO far this forum is dam kickass. lovin it, lots of info and help.

Im looking for si trani"s already and most likely along with that a head.But i need help on chosing the head??
Old 07-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by backyard_concepts
there is no way to adjust springs. if your rubbing in the rear roll your fenders and rear section.
wat do you mean roll?
Old 07-28-2010, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you choose to go with a turbo setup and ur on a budget then id say not to worry about the vtec head.

i completely agree about the transmission though, Si or Ex are almost the same, very little difference except 5th gear which is taller on the Ex tranny(.7:1) than the Si tranny(.75:1) so the EX tranny should give you better mileage on the highway. but either transmission will be fine.

the head code for the 92-95 Si/Ex(they used the same engine) is P08. also youll need a vtec ecu, and the Si/Ex code is P28. the transmission code is P20/B.

its really hard to tell someone what they should do. so ill ask a few questions and then tell you what id do.

what kind of power are you wanting from this? are you looking for a dependable daily driver that still gets great mileage with some more go? or are you wanting a significant increase in power?

im looking at this from the "same mileage and reliability, with some more power" point of view.

i would get a vtec head, do some homemade port matching(just making it so there is no lip when you feel the seam where they bolt together) between the IM and the ports, and between the ports and the header. the reason for this is because it costs next to nothing if u have a dremel and it might show up on a dyno. i might have a 5-angle valve job done, not sure though. next would be a mild performance cam, nothing major, just something to add some power at mid-high rpms, while not losing torque in the low-mid range and still keep fuel mileage good. id put a set of higher compression pistons and rings in(no reason to go with forged, cast pistons will do the job just fine in a DD) but no more than about 10.5:1, and at the same time hone the block and check bearing clearances and condition, replacing if needed. put the Si/Ex tranny in. cold air intake. and that would probably be about it. have it tuned, and go drive. probably looking at somewhere in the 140-150hp range at the crank and i couldnt see how all that could possibly cost more than 1200 and youll still have a car capable of 40+mpg.

to the wheels a Si engine should make about 106-112hp and 90-95ft/lbs.......leaning more towards the high end of the scale since honda uses thin tranny fluid.

with 140-150hp at the crank you should be looking at about 119-135hp(low end of 140 to the high end of 150) to the wheels. so assuming you get somewhere in the middle there thats 127hp.....which would be a 15% improvement over stock.

i would also make sure i had the money to put a new water pump, timing belt, tensioner, plugs, wires, cap, and rotor in it.

im a mechanic so i feel comfortable doing pretty much all of this myself. but if you dont have a lot of experience theres some stuff in there that you should AT LEAST have someone with experience help you with. but if you have to pay someone to do this then plan on your parts budget being cut in half. if thats the case then it would probably be best to wait, save more so you can have it all done at once. saves you alot on labor that way.

any other questions just ask.

also, anyone think im being a bit optimistic on my estimated gains, lets talk about it and see if we can figure it out.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94'Fernie
heres a pic of my car, tell me how it looks?.
i bought headlinghts and amber, Jdm fog lights and 15" Rota"s
nice.. however, I would invest your money on any problems first such as suspension issues, wheel bearing, axles, leaks etc.. otherwise you might spend a fortune on how it looks and it ends up running like crap. After these issues are addressed then you could look into performance parts for the engine or other engine alternatives.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by newtron63h
if you choose to go with a turbo setup and ur on a budget then id say not to worry about the vtec head.

i completely agree about the transmission though, Si or Ex are almost the same, very little difference except 5th gear which is taller on the Ex tranny(.7:1) than the Si tranny(.75:1) so the EX tranny should give you better mileage on the highway. but either transmission will be fine.

the head code for the 92-95 Si/Ex(they used the same engine) is P08. also youll need a vtec ecu, and the Si/Ex code is P28. the transmission code is P20/B.

its really hard to tell someone what they should do. so ill ask a few questions and then tell you what id do.

what kind of power are you wanting from this? are you looking for a dependable daily driver that still gets great mileage with some more go? or are you wanting a significant increase in power?

im looking at this from the "same mileage and reliability, with some more power" point of view.

i would get a vtec head, do some homemade port matching(just making it so there is no lip when you feel the seam where they bolt together) between the IM and the ports, and between the ports and the header. the reason for this is because it costs next to nothing if u have a dremel and it might show up on a dyno. i might have a 5-angle valve job done, not sure though. next would be a mild performance cam, nothing major, just something to add some power at mid-high rpms, while not losing torque in the low-mid range and still keep fuel mileage good. id put a set of higher compression pistons and rings in(no reason to go with forged, cast pistons will do the job just fine in a DD) but no more than about 10.5:1, and at the same time hone the block and check bearing clearances and condition, replacing if needed. put the Si/Ex tranny in. cold air intake. and that would probably be about it. have it tuned, and go drive. probably looking at somewhere in the 140-150hp range at the crank and i couldnt see how all that could possibly cost more than 1200 and youll still have a car capable of 40+mpg.

to the wheels a Si engine should make about 106-112hp and 90-95ft/lbs.......leaning more towards the high end of the scale since honda uses thin tranny fluid.

with 140-150hp at the crank you should be looking at about 119-135hp(low end of 140 to the high end of 150) to the wheels. so assuming you get somewhere in the middle there thats 127hp.....which would be a 15% improvement over stock.

i would also make sure i had the money to put a new water pump, timing belt, tensioner, plugs, wires, cap, and rotor in it.

im a mechanic so i feel comfortable doing pretty much all of this myself. but if you dont have a lot of experience theres some stuff in there that you should AT LEAST have someone with experience help you with. but if you have to pay someone to do this then plan on your parts budget being cut in half. if thats the case then it would probably be best to wait, save more so you can have it all done at once. saves you alot on labor that way.

any other questions just ask.

also, anyone think im being a bit optimistic on my estimated gains, lets talk about it and see if we can figure it out.
just wanted to say, brilliant information
Old 07-28-2010, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Nichelson_Performance
just wanted to say, brilliant information
i appreciate the vote of confidence.

nice build you got there. lookin at over 280hp and 230ft/lbs at the crank, very nice.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Put a J32 in it
Old 07-28-2010, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FREE-

first decide if anyone ever sits in the back seat

then

remove back seat
remove spare/jack and components

you'll gain a little more pep in your step reducing some weight
Old 07-28-2010, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by raidacaipo
nice.. however, I would invest your money on any problems first such as suspension issues, wheel bearing, axles, leaks etc.. otherwise you might spend a fortune on how it looks and it ends up running like crap. After these issues are addressed then you could look into performance parts for the engine or other engine alternatives.
Everything is running perfect, I just wanna hook it up now
Old 07-28-2010, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AGENT_47
FREE-

first decide if anyone ever sits in the back seat

then

remove back seat
remove spare/jack and components

you'll gain a little more pep in your step reducing some weight