Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Getting into an EG Hatch from an Evo??

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting into an EG Hatch from an Evo??

Right now I'm driving an '03 Evo thats cammed w/bolt ons (stock turbo/pump gas) putting down 315awhp. I'm definitely keeping it, but looking for something to have some fun with.

I'm interested in getting into an EG hatch and know it would be a completely different driving experience. Just wondering if anyone else has made a switch like that, or just has experience with driving both and could let me know what it's like. I've driven a few FWD boosted cars and it's definitely fun.

I don't mind things like a/c and power windows/locks, but haven't really ever driven anything without power steering and stuff like that. Just some experience would be nice to hear.

thanks alot.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Getting into an EG Hatch from an Evo?? (BenjyJ)

I never made a step down like that. Although driving an Evo is fun, having a hatch is also great and fun. There are so many things you can do to it. It would also make a better beater than the Evo.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i got a eg with gsr motor and turbo. It is REALLY fun car to have. The good about having a hatch is that parts is very cheap. And a eg is pretty simple to work on. Its like an R/C car. lol
Old 07-21-2006, 09:42 AM

I have an 05' M3 love that car but i also love my Civic. Its not a hatch its a Coupe but just the same its so much fun having a car to play around with and build. they also make great daily beaters.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:55 AM

You could do alot more to a civic than you could to a evo with about 2k or less. I boosted my hatch for under 1k.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (elcangripapi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elcangripapi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I boosted my hatch for under 1k.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nice, saves money for more parts, Budget Booster.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's the stage I'm at right now. My car should be roughly a 12.50s car and I can spend $2200 for meth injection and be low 12s maybe high high 11s, but I've heard plenty of horror stories from meth and if I blow my **** up, I'd be fucked on money to fix it with.

And I like working on cars, but don't dare touch the Evo because its WAYY over my head.

I think a hatch would be fun, cheap, and I could actually work on it a little bit. I'm glad to hear I don't sound crazy cuz plenty of people have said I do lol. What would you guys say is the way to go as far as purchasing one. I don't care about it being real clean and rust free and stuff, but if I buy one that's already swapped am I just buying someone else's problems? And what do I need to look for when buying one?
Old 07-21-2006, 01:02 PM

lol If i were you I wouldnt even swap anything out. Fine yourself a nice little 93 vti hatchie with a d16z6 and either boost it on stock internals and have a low 14 to high 13 second car. Or do a Vitara setup and you can have a 12 second SOHC. A domestics nightmare lol
Old 07-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A Vitara setup just meaning Vitara pistons equating to pretty9 much built internals??

That sounds pretty interesting, how much does boosting a SOHC cost roughly, something like a 60-1 a good turbo for it??

And building the internals, how deep in the pockets will that hit me as well??

thanks a lot guys, your info has been very helpful so far.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:29 AM

Well, heres an idea of how affordable it is.

Vitara pistons with hasting oil rings - $125 Shipped

Eagle rods - $295 Shipped

Im only running a 15g but soon ill upgrade to a t3/t4. Which is more than enough to reach around 290hp - 300hp. Unless you buy a kit which will cost you up the *** you should build your own kit. Log mani goes for less then $300 shipped, ram horn mani could be around $500. Tial w/g $200. Oil lines probly about $70-90. Custom down pipe $200+. Intercooler $100+, charge pipes varies. BOV $130. So roughly for around 1,300 - 1,500 you can make a really nice setup versus 2,500 or 3,500 for a turbo kit. Im only running a greddy kit beacuse I got it for cheap.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

EG-LS-Turbo =FUN!!!
Old 07-22-2006, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMbullshit)

(my fun car)

The experience--- unlike anything you have every been in on the track. I have eaten stock turbo evos up on tight courses such as poconos and summit--- get killed on the longer ones but just cause of lack of power. The lightweight chassis makes turns INCREDIBLE especially on slicks. The high revs and the bulletproof compnents of an all motor b series (or k if your baller) but i have a b make track driving that much better. Also if you break stuff it costs absolutly nothing to redo.

AS for boosted egs, they are out of this world. Coming from an evo though you will get extremely pissed off with wheelspin and off the line response---(keep the evo if youre gonna drag it) I have been driving in a 425whp wrx the past year and there is nothing like awd+boost.

The daily driving aspect....welllll thats another story. Im completely stripped, so needless to say you either love it or hate it. you love it if you dont drive it everyday but are into cars but hate it if youre anyone else--especially girls. NO A/C sucks, but you can keep it, i just bought the cx which didnt have it anyway. As for power steering i can only speak on the difference between my car and a 4dr integra. My car the lack of power steering means nothing. there is such minimal weight on the front end, and i keep my pressures up for track driving that its not a bid deal at all. Especially combined with the 320mm wheel. Also, no power steering allows you to step up to the quaife steering rack which is amazing for track driving.

As for some cons---the cars subframe blows for big beefy sways which are a must, so you ahve to spend extra bills on reinforcement. If your looking for a nice hatch it gets harder and harder to find one without rust. The only thing that sucks, is when you tell people what kind of car you drive, and you say civic youre immediately associated with 16 yr old kids with loud exhaust 5 different color body panels and all the other negative ricer views that encompass a honda owner.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:36 PM

Default Re: (StreetEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StreetEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> The only thing that sucks, is when you tell people what kind of car you drive, and you say civic youre immediately associated with 16 yr old kids with loud exhaust 5 different color body panels and all the other negative ricer views that encompass a honda owner.</TD></TR></TABLE>So true. But I look at it this way. Even though I do not own a evo to wrx its fun to tell them what you drive and have them laugh at you. Because when they get ripped by a SOHC or any civic for that matter...it tends to be a soft spot. But thats for those people who have no respect for hondas anyway.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I can put in my input from a similar type of switch (both cars I tracked though). I recently sold my 03 350Z Track Edition due to my living situation, I had owned it for a year or so and had taken to several auto-x events and even a road race event in Dallas- bottom line I loved that car (all the amenities, power, looks, etc).
Before that I had built a 93 EG hatch from the ground up. Stripped it completely, completely re-built the suspension (top notch coilovers, sways, wheels,etc..), completely repainted the in and out suzuka blue, and swapped in a B16B ctr motor. I beat on that car like no other while I owned it- auto-x, drag, yada yada.

My input: As much as I loved 350Z, I still can't beat the amount of fun, work, anger, and time I put into that little Civic. From a racing standpoint there were way more positive aspects for the EG as well- on course you could without a doubt feel the weight of the Z as I'm sure you would be able to tell in your EVO (although less since AWD tossability). The Z weighed in around 3200 and Civic at 2050 lbs. Huge difference, I could probably kicked the Z's *** at the track with the Civic and just CTR motor. As you can see, years later I am still posting on H-T.com and will eventually build another Civic and IMO do things right the first time and do the things I didn't the first time around. Lastly, parts wise if you break something or need something quickly for the civic parts are endless and cheap. The only downside to the car was ricey stigma that placed on me for having "just another riced out Honda". Overall, I would love to build another Honda and probably wouldn't pick up another 350z just do to the cost to compete.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:34 PM

Default Re: (ill phil)

Ive gone from an '02 rsx type s to a 02 m3, to an 06 evo, and now I got a eg coupe to go with the evo... and I wouldnt have it any other way. Going from the m3 to the evo was cool, because the evo is more raw, and puts more emphasis on driver versus the m3......but that is with traction control on... with it off, that is a different story, but I was not brave enough to get the back end out on the skinny windy roads around here (at least not that much)... But ya, the civic is cool as hell. I dont need to worry when I drive the **** out of it, and I am taking it to auto-x next week. No a/c sux, as does not having power anything, but its cool.....anything to keep the miles and wear off the evo. it helps with gas mileage, is cheap to fix, and is a just a new experience...... The handling characteristics are unique, as is any drive-train type, but you can push it really hard without getting into any sketchy situations. So ya, I reccomend it... I was looking for a hatch at first, but found a really nice coupe so thats what I got...its a good daily driver.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:44 PM

Default eg

i have never had an evo but i have driven a wrx and i own a EG and i have to say i like driving my hatch way better. Not to say i didnt like driving the wrx it was a blast i loved it but i love my hatch
Old 07-23-2006, 11:39 AM

^bump for more input from others
Old 07-23-2006, 01:05 PM

I ran my 350 hp 300zx TT into a wall about 6 months ago. Decided to take it slower so I picked up an eg hatch...Besides being underpowered, which I plan to fix, its a great car. Its a blast flying the the corners, feels like driving a gocart, lol. Im pretty happy with it.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elcangripapi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You could do alot more to a civic than you could to a evo with about 2k or less. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 07-23-2006, 02:00 PM

looking at eg's myself.

from what I have gathered everyone likes them because they are fun to drive.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bmxican)

Like others have said, if you set up the suspension correctly it feels like a little go-kart on the auto-x courses. Even cars with more power that ran close to the times I did and even better, were totally shocked after riding along for a run or two!