Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Genuine Honda Factory Coolant - Fact or Fiction???

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2002, 05:18 PM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Genuine Honda Factory Coolant - Fact or Fiction??? (Bror Jace)

...Dex Cool is supposedly unable to be mixed with anything else...
Well, it all depends on whom you believe. Dex-Cool is actually a registered GM trademark, hence the name. Texaco says Dex-Cool is compatible with conventional anti-freeze, but who defines what 'conventional' means? Is Honda juice conventional? I doubt it. I know I wouldn't put it in my ride...
Old 03-03-2002, 05:36 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: Genuine Honda Factory Coolant - Fact or Fiction??? (CheezeFrog)

Why argue about which rinky dink coolant is the best? For a few bucks more, just switch to a real system like Fluidyne/Evans and be done with it...
Yeah, right! I assume you mean NPG. Why don't you tell us what you have to do to a "real system" to make NPG work???
Old 03-03-2002, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Genuine Honda Factory Coolant - Fact or Fiction??? (BlackDeuceCoupe)

Yeah, right! I assume you mean NPG. Why don't you tell us what you have to do to a "real system" to make NPG work???
Of course. All you have to do is drain your regular ethelyne glycol (EG) based coolant and fill it up with a propylene glycol (PG) based coolant, like Sierra. Drive around for a little while and let the PG-based coolant soak up any remaining water in the system. Then drain the PG coolant and replace with Evans NPG coolant.

Basically, just flush out the system with water, drain, add straight Sierra, drive around for a while, drain, and add NPG coolant. This gets you from EG to PG to NPG with minimal contamination. The downside is that it is a little expensive, but it beats using band-aid fixes like Water Wetter.
Old 03-03-2002, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OEM kicks ***
Old 03-03-2002, 09:54 PM
HT White Ops

All you have to do is drain your regular ethelyne glycol (EG) based coolant and fill it up with a propylene glycol (PG) based coolant, like Sierra, blah, blah, blah
SOURCE: Evans Cooling Systems FAQ

<FONT COLOR="red">Question</FONT>: Is NPG a "DRAIN AND FILL" product?

<FONT COLOR="blue">Answer</FONT>: If your system already has the effective flow rates needed to run with NPG, the answer is YES. Unfortunately, most vehicles, with the possible exception of <u>large heavy duty engines and motorcycles</u>, need some sort of modifications to establish the necessary flow rates required for effective operation with NPG.

<FONT COLOR="red">Question</FONT>: Does the engine block need to be drained? ……Why?

<FONT COLOR="blue">Answer</FONT>: <u>YES! This is the most common mistake when converting to NPG.</u> NPG is not mixed with anything. The Engine Block, Radiator and Heater Core MUST BE EMPTY. The block alone holds 1/2 the capacity of the cooling system liquid. Draining the radiator in the average American V8 leaves 2 gallons of coolant in the engine block.

<FONT COLOR="red">Question</FONT>: If the radiator is drained and the engine ran for a few minutes will the pump suck the block dry and the remaining coolant evaporate?

<FONT COLOR="blue">Answer</FONT>: NO! The problem is that the average pump is located high in relation to the engine block. With the engine running the pump pushes coolant into the block. Once the radiator has been drained the coolant level drops to below the pump outlets which are higher then the level of the block, leaving the rest of the block full. If the coolant was a 50/50 mix the antifreeze will not evaporate and the remaining water needs to reach 90°F to start evaporating. Running the engine to achieve this can cause more damage than good. Look for the block drain plugs.

<FONT COLOR="red">Question</FONT>: Do all engine blocks have water jacket drain plugs, if so where are they located?

<FONT COLOR="blue">Answer</FONT>: No, not all engine blocks are equipped with drain plugs. If your engine block has them they will be found on the side very low in the casting and close to the oil pan mounting surface. Normally they will be a variation of a pipe tread with a square or hex head. V8 & V6 blocks will have 2 one on each side while inline 4 & 6 cylinders will have 1 drain plug. For engines that do not have drain plugs the HOT purge procedure must be followed in the EVANS NPG instruction manual.
Shall I keep going???
Old 03-03-2002, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Genuine Honda Factory Coolant - Fact or Fiction??? (BlackDeuceCoupe)

Shall I keep going???
No, that's not necessary. Thankyou for pointing out what I had stated earlier -- that it's a very simple task to go from regular coolant to NPG, unless you're mechanically inept or just plain lazy. But I agree that the factory Honda coolant is the best if you just want a cookie cutter solution.

[Modified by CheezeFrog, 12:13 AM 3/4/2002]
Old 03-04-2002, 05:22 AM

so just use honda brand and everything is ok right?????
no need to go through all this trouble???
right???
Old 03-04-2002, 08:28 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: Genuine Honda Factory Coolant - Fact or Fiction??? (Initial J)

so just use honda brand and everything is ok right?????
no need to go through all this trouble???
right???
Correct!
Old 03-04-2002, 10:47 AM

Old 03-05-2002, 03:17 PM

n/m

[Modified by maks, 4:22 PM 3/5/2002]