Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

gears popping out

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gears popping out

i just got a 94 hatch and when i go into 2nd and 4th the gears pop out..also when i down shift to 2md it's like is dosn't want to go in...any insite of what it could be
Old 07-17-2007, 03:48 PM
B A N N E D

sounds like you need to trash it, and get another...if its a D series, they are CHEAP.. my 94 dx civic did that, i had to hold it in gear when letting off the gas pedal, or else it would jump right out.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:00 PM

Default Re: gears popping out (trueloveracing)

tranny syncros are going im guessing..thats what it sounds like atleast..d series are cheap to replace/repair a tranny along with b series being around the same but a little more..its a pain in the *** though..a shop will do it for u easy..
Old 07-17-2007, 04:03 PM

check the trans fluid...mayb
Old 07-17-2007, 04:54 PM

Default Re: (vietblood87)

thanks for all the input i got a ls tranny i may put that in and see what happens
Old 07-17-2007, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (trueloveracing)

ISB died, $40 or less for new bearing and seals.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slowcivic2k)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowcivic2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ISB died, $40 or less for new bearing and seals.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I knew you were gonna pop your head in here

Since you said LS trans, , B series are more expensive than a singlecam to replace, as slowcivic2k said, its best to rebuild, either yourself, or let a shop do it if you really feel against it. I would say swap on the LS trans so it drives, and rebuild the current one yourself with a new ISB.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (97Ej6mike)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97Ej6mike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Since you said LS trans, , B series are more expensive than a singlecam to replace, as slowcivic2k said, its best to rebuild, either yourself, or let a shop do it if you really feel against it. I would say swap on the LS trans so it drives, and rebuild the current one yourself with a new ISB. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You would be suprised on how easy it is to rebuild, and how many transmissions I aquire from idiots that refuse set a hand on one, kinda like those old school mechanics who refuse to service nothing but carbeurators and non-electronic goodies.

Had another Type R transmission come in after he got screwed on a replacement Type R from a local speed shop for $1200 bucks. He got an LS transmission and was told it was a "Type R with the newer style LSD that has the pin going through it"....... anyways.... he takes it back and when he comes into the shop I tell him he only needs $70 for parts, an ISB, Countershaft needle bearing, oil gutter plate, and seals, needless to say he was very pleased.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:56 PM
B A N N E D

Default Re: (slowcivic2k)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowcivic2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You would be suprised on how easy it is to rebuild, and how many transmissions I aquire from idiots that refuse set a hand on one, kinda like those old school mechanics who refuse to service nothing but carbeurators and non-electronic goodies.

Had another Type R transmission come in after he got screwed on a replacement Type R from a local speed shop for $1200 bucks. He got an LS transmission and was told it was a "Type R with the newer style LSD that has the pin going through it"....... anyways.... he takes it back and when he comes into the shop I tell him he only needs $70 for parts, an ISB, Countershaft needing bearing and oil gutter plate, needless to say he was very pleased.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes it is rather easy to fix a tranny yourself, cause Ima tell you right now, transmission shops are not cheap, when i blew input shatf bearing i took mine to DON IRBY transmission, and he wanted $200 no matter what if he pulled it down, and couldnt fix it and had to put it back...i was like, WTF....went to Honda dealorship, bought all new OEM bearings, and seals, built the bitch myself...it was EASY, i had some instruction i printed off hondatech or hondaswap one of the sites that guided me right thru it, simple as eveer.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:06 PM

Default Re: (DecentCivicZ6)

yeah all it is is a single cam so the tranny should be cheap and easy
Old 07-17-2007, 06:11 PM
B A N N E D

what? you said you had a LS tranny to put on there? thats not a SOHC, thats DOHC tranny
Old 07-17-2007, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ISB seems to be your fix for everything... poping out of gear is going to be caused ISB? prolly not
Old 07-17-2007, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sageuvagony)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sageuvagony &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ISB seems to be your fix for everything... poping out of gear is going to be caused ISB? prolly not</TD></TR></TABLE>

You wanna try blaming a synchro? Synchros engage the gears, it does not disengage them. Bearings and sometimes bent/broken shift forks can cause this. I've rebuilt enough of them to know what goes wrong.

Think about it for more than a second, if the synchro's are worn, it would still hold gear once you get it in, if it kicks out, its a bearing.

Push your clutch pedal in and put it in second while the engine is running, and then slowly let the clutch out until the shifter moves, if the shifter jumps out of gear, or takes a considerable jump forward, bearing is toasted. You can also rock the car back and forth in gear and hear the shafts in the transmission go nuts as they push off each other.