Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Gauge cluster question for Del Sol

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge cluster question for Del Sol

I'm looking to replace the gauge cluster in my del sol because the speedometer isn't working. Yes, I already replaced the VSS, wasn't the problem. I have a 1993 Del Sol Si D16Z6 with a 5 speed manual transmission. And I'm finding conflicting information on what clusters are interchangable. Some places say all clusters up to 96 are interchangeable but I think they are talking only about civics and not Del Sols. Some places say transmission maters and other don't. Just looking to clarify what specifics I need to know. Like will a cluster from a 1993 Del Sol S D15 with a 5 speed manual transmisison work? What about an automatic? Hopefully I can get some clarification.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gauge cluster question for Del Sol

I would try to get a cluster from a del sol si with mt. On with auto trans will have the p, d, 2, d3, d4, n , r down the middle. I dont think year matters
Old 11-23-2014, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 94 del sol s with JdmD16A and mt . the S cluster works fine.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Didn't the Del Sol S come with a different tire size stock than the Si? Would the speedometer have to be calibrated differently for that?
Old 11-24-2014, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats why I said get one from an si
Old 11-24-2014, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DelCarajo
Would the speedometer have to be calibrated differently for that?
No. It gets that reading from the VSS and displays it accordingly.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

What makes you believe that the cluster or speedometer is the problem?

Is CEL code 17 thrown?
Old 11-24-2014, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While the auto and manual clusters are different. The tach and speedometer sub-components are the same for all del sols.

So you can remove the speedometer from any (S or Si) auto or manual and install it into a different cluster.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:33 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

People who've swapped clusters from other model cars don't really have an issue with the mph being off, or the rpm...or I've never heard of it. Now if it were from a totally different generation, s2k cluster, thats gonna require some work.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
What makes you believe that the cluster or speedometer is the problem?

Is CEL code 17 thrown?
I guesss I should go into detail about the problem. There is no check engine light. The speedometer when the car starts will read very low (ie 5mph when I'm going 25... 10 when I'm going 50. It will get increasingly more accurate the longer I drive. It seems to be worse with cold weather. It usually does not completely correct itself and read normally. The odometer seems to work fine independently although I think that even it seems to be a little off but not by the same magnitude by far. The trip odometer does not work at all. There is never any needle bouncing and the issues the same every time I drive. I already replaced the VSS. Is there anything else it could be?
Old 01-02-2015, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

I guesss I should go into detail about the problem. There is no check engine light. The speedometer when the car starts will read very low (ie 5mph when I'm going 25... 10 when I'm going 50. It will get increasingly more accurate the longer I drive. It seems to be worse with cold weather. It usually does not completely correct itself and read normally. The odometer seems to work fine independently although I think that even it seems to be a little off but not by the same magnitude by far. The trip odometer does not work at all. There is never any needle bouncing and the issues the same every time I drive. I already replaced the VSS. Is there anything else it could be?
It does sound like the speedometer/odometer unit is bad. Did you tighten the rear speedometer screws? This will often break the speedometer or make it read incorrectly.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by andoxviii
No. It gets that reading from the VSS and displays it accordingly.
Can anyone else confirm this? This would be useful if I can take any speedometer and drop it in. Also are there any other speedometers (just the speedo, not the cluster) that will drop into the Del Sol cluster? Like the Civic or Accord from similar years?
Old 01-02-2015, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
It does sound like the speedometer/odometer unit is bad. Did you tighten the rear speedometer screws? This will often break the speedometer or make it read incorrectly.
No I haven't touched it yet. When putting in a new one is there a certain torque spec for those screws?
Old 01-03-2015, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have taken my del sol cluster apart a few times and all I did was just make sure the screws were snug. Just make sure NOT to tighten them so much that you might crack the flexible circuit board or casing. I have most of a stock del sol si cluster for sale if you need. It doesn't have the clock or the lens cover I'm reusing those parts on my custom gauge cluster. You can easily reuse yours. Tach, speedo, fuel and temp all working.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nateasham
I have taken my del sol cluster apart a few times and all I did was just make sure the screws were snug. Just make sure NOT to tighten them so much that you might crack the flexible circuit board or casing. I have most of a stock del sol si cluster for sale if you need. It doesn't have the clock or the lens cover I'm reusing those parts on my custom gauge cluster. You can easily reuse yours. Tach, speedo, fuel and temp all working.
PM sent
Old 01-04-2015, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For reference I used this video when taking mine apart. Well done and easy.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:15 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Can anyone else confirm this? This would be useful if I can take any speedometer and drop it in. Also are there any other speedometers (just the speedo, not the cluster) that will drop into the Del Sol cluster? Like the Civic or Accord from similar years?
I don't believe it is correct. On the 5G Civic, the speedos varied by tire size that came stock on the car. E.g., a VX speedo is a different part number from an Si speedo.

EDIT: Looks like I am mistaken, at least for del Sols. The part numbers are all the same here, for S, Si, VTEC del Sols: Toronto Honda Parts - Parts List Maybe they all had the same tire size.

Last edited by deschlong; 01-05-2015 at 05:00 AM.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by deschlong
I don't believe it is correct. On the 5G Civic, the speedos varied by tire size that came stock on the car. E.g., a VX speedo is a different part number from an Si speedo.

EDIT: Looks like I am mistaken, at least for del Sols. The part numbers are all the same here, for S, Si, VTEC del Sols: Toronto Honda Parts - Parts List Maybe they all had the same tire size.
They did not have the same size tire. Although I'm not sure if the part numbers on that site constitute definitive evidence.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There was definitely different speedometers (and tachometers) for each models cluster.
the vss sends speed to the cluster via a number of pulses per mile. I have a B18C swapped into my del sol si. Speedo is still accurate and I did NOT swap clusters. Tires are different size than stock but I think it's all so close the difference is negligible.