Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

gasket problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gasket problem?

my header to down pipe gasket keeps blowing out. can anyone tell me what will cause this to happen?

I have a 97 civic ex D17y8, and it runs good most of the time. Every now and then it has a small idleing problem which I noticed that gets worse right before the gasket blows out.
And I have been trying to fix an oil leak that requires me to put about 2 qts in every 2 weeks. I dont no if its related or not but I think its leaking where the vtec solinoid bolts to the part that bolts to the head. not where the vtec connects to the head.

I also get 28.6 mpg with the a new gasket and around 20.3 mpg when it blows.
I think that is because with the exhaust leak where its at, it tells the ecu to dump more fuel,
but was woundering if these are all symptoms of something worse or what?
Old 11-17-2009, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gasket problem?

Originally Posted by darkwater_ghost
my header to down pipe gasket keeps blowing out. can anyone tell me what will cause this to happen?

I have a 97 civic ex D17y8, and it runs good most of the time. Every now and then it has a small idleing problem which I noticed that gets worse right before the gasket blows out.
And I have been trying to fix an oil leak that requires me to put about 2 qts in every 2 weeks. I dont no if its related or not but I think its leaking where the vtec solinoid bolts to the part that bolts to the head. not where the vtec connects to the head.

I also get 28.6 mpg with the a new gasket and around 20.3 mpg when it blows.
I think that is because with the exhaust leak where its at, it tells the ecu to dump more fuel,
but was woundering if these are all symptoms of something worse or what?
first off its a d16y8... but is it an aftermarket header? and where do you get the gasket from? so the oil leak is coming from the vtec silenoid ? you should get a new gasket for it or put some sealent on it after you unbolt it and clean it. where exactly is the oil coming from? do you notice any from the drain plug on the oil pan or on the oil pan itself?
Old 11-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my bad long day at work. the first gasket I got was with the header and down pipe
(cheap ebay stainless steel). the gasket blew out about three months later. I took it off and found that it broke on one side and then the exhaust just ate it away. so I went to all the parts stores around me and they all showed me something that didnt look like a gasket at all. so not finding one I turned to making one from some performance material that the parts store sold me and it has lasted about 4 or 5 months.

actually just found the exact location of the oil leak 20min ago. been trying to find it for months now. Its not the part that has the gasket with the mesh filter its the part that bolts above it and I havnt had time to take it apart.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump