Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

gas mileage BLOWS on 76 but is nice on chevron?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas mileage BLOWS on 76 but is nice on chevron?

theres a 76 station thats closer to my house and like 10 cents cheaper per gallon than chevron so i filled up with that on my way home.

with chevron by the halfway mark i got like 190 miles in a civic cx with a b16
with 76 by the halfway mark i got like 140 miles..

i havent ran it all the way down and filled up to calculate it exactly but thats a pretty big difference on a ~8 gallon tank.

it wasnt how or where i was driving either, i did more city and more aggressive driving with the chevron, both were on 91 octane.

i know a lotta guys use chevron and i usually do...
Old 01-28-2005, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

poops to both of them. shell v-power. but seriously, perhaps trying a basic tuneup? spark plugs/wires, distributor cap+rotor, fuel filter, oil change. it always helps :D
Old 01-28-2005, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jerbear!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jerbear! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">poops to both of them. shell v-power. but seriously, perhaps trying a basic tuneup? spark plugs/wires, distributor cap+rotor, fuel filter, oil change. it always helps :D</TD></TR></TABLE>

already did plugs, wires, oil change, o2 sensor, new cat... engine only has 50k or so

i get 33mpg on chevron (with a b16a2!!!)... just wondering why i get 50 less miles by the halfway point with 76
Old 01-28-2005, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ehhhh if you know you do get less mileage with 76 then just dont get that gas. easy as that.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jerbear!)

you have a 10 gallon tank just to let you know
Old 01-28-2005, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Art In Motion)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Art In Motion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you have a 10 gallon tank just to let you know</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh thanks. i run it to E and it only adds 8 gallons... i figured it was probably more though.

i've had 3 integras and this is my first civic, just got it a week ago today, dont know a whole lot about them.

i was just wondering if anyone had experience with crappy mileage and 76...
Old 01-28-2005, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Re: gas mileage BLOWS on 76 but is nice on chevron? (90gs)

No matter what gas I use, I get the same mileage. I've been on ARCO almost exclusively for the past 10 years.

Maybe some cars are more picky than others?
Old 01-28-2005, 02:48 PM

Odd, I get crap mileage on Chevron, but better with 76. I'd have to agree with the guy that said Shell though.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:57 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Re: gas mileage BLOWS on 76 but is nice on chevron? (consolidatedbord)

Also, your gas guage is not very acurate. It is best to run it down, fill it up all the way, and divide your mileage by your fillup gallons (not perfect either, but better).

Ive also noticed I can't fill up as much at some stations. It must be due to sloping pavment at the pump.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:58 PM
JV
Who?

No brand of gasoline is really superior to another. All those smaller corporations are getting it from the same sources...
Old 01-28-2005, 03:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: gas mileage BLOWS on 76 but is nice on chevron? (JV)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JV &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No brand of gasoline is really superior to another. All those smaller corporations are getting it from the same sources... </TD></TR></TABLE>

el wrongo...
go to one station good gas... go to another station, bad gas, every time.. ... almost want to drain the tank and start anew.... there is a difference in the gas... each station may get it from similar wells and oil, but filtration and etc.. there is obviously a difference, even if it is because of the equipment that puts it in your car.. there is a difference.. so dont go saying there is no difference in where you get the gas.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JV &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No brand of gasoline is really superior to another. All those smaller corporations are getting it from the same sources... </TD></TR></TABLE>

yah they get all the gas from the same source the only thing that is different from each other is the additives they put into it.

like chevron has techron, shell with v power, etc etc

This was stated by a guy who works for chevron who came into my work basically its all the same **** , but i still opt to get chevron though cause my car seems to run better on it .
Old 01-28-2005, 03:16 PM

i actually agree with the JV....different stations add different additives to the gas, but the base fuel itself is from a single source.

i haven't experienced "bad" mileage from any specific brand of gas, so i have been using 76 on my WRX (91oct) and Si hatch (87oct). there have been no problems to date.

Old 01-28-2005, 03:18 PM
JV
Who?

Default Re: gas mileage BLOWS on 76 but is nice on chevron? (CooBlueDAB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CooBlueDAB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

el wrongo...
go to one station good gas... go to another station, bad gas, every time.. ... almost want to drain the tank and start anew.... there is a difference in the gas... each station may get it from similar wells and oil, but filtration and etc.. there is obviously a difference, even if it is because of the equipment that puts it in your car.. there is a difference.. so dont go saying there is no difference in where you get the gas.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Unless you are using premium, there really is no difference...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Premium is the grade that oil companies use for bragging rights. Major oil companies do not lie about what their gasolines will do, but they often forget to make clear that their premium grade is the gasoline they are referring to in the advertisement. There are not many quality or performance differences between brands of regular-grade gasoline. One reason for this is that the EPA and American Society of Testing and Materials (ASTM) set standards for regular fuel that are relatively high.

Distribution methods also limit gasoline differences because, for the most part, oil companies must begin with the same gasoline. The days of each branded station selling gasoline that came from the parent company's refinery ended years ago when pipelines became the major transportation method for gasoline. Now, refineries make gasoline that meets a national specification for each grade and type. That gasoline is pumped out into a pipeline system where that fuel could end up in a competitor's tank because of the timing of demand versus supply into the lines. Detergents are then added at the terminal when the fuel is pumped into tanks or into trucks. So, detergent is the major difference between brands of gasoline and that difference is seen mainly in premium brands.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 01-28-2005, 07:56 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JV &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Unless you are using premium, there really is no difference...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

look JV, you obviously dont pay attention while fueling or have not had the unfortunate events of getting gas from a bad station... I use only regular in my civic, premium in bikes and ATVs... and at one point or another I have found that some stations have worse gas than others... how do I know? well... bad mileage.. sputtering engine.. loss of power... each time I had to get gas there, after 2 times in a row.. I learn that that station is bad... That is the way it is... solid... freaking... proof... no matter what grade gas it is... some stations are still better than others.. I am not the only one who has noticed this I bet...
Old 01-28-2005, 08:41 PM
JV
Who?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CooBlueDAB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That is the way it is... solid... freaking... proof...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sure...
Old 01-28-2005, 08:45 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JV &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sure...</TD></TR></TABLE>

bah, ok last post Im gonna do on this tonight....

Tell me why multiple times at the same gas stations made my engines perform badly? Explain why only those stations and brands seemed to be worse. And when the fuel was switched, it worked fine. Explain that since you are so dead set on "all gas is the same reguardless of brand" theory.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:53 PM

i took it in the *** like 76 times!
Old 01-28-2005, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, at the chervon station near me, it never fills up my tank like the 76 does. It usually give me about 1/2 to 1 gallon less for some reason, its probably the pump sensor.

anyways, by half tank, i just go back to the same station and refill, see how many gallons it is and divide by your milage.

@half tank, chervon gives ABOUT 110 and 76 gives about 130, but either way, i still get about only 22 miles/gal on the average for both gas.

Gas is gas, AS LONG as the station you go to, uses additives, chervon, shell, and i think 76. I heard from a representive that 76 no long sponsors race events with gas, so i dont know if they still use "proPower"?
Old 01-28-2005, 08:58 PM
JV
Who?

bah, ok last post Im gonna do on this tonight....

Tell me why multiple times at the same gas stations made my engines perform badly? Explain why only those stations and brands seemed to be worse. And when the fuel was switched, it worked fine. Explain that since you are so dead set on "all gas is the same regardless of brand" theory.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's all in your head? The advertising executives working for these corporations are actually doing their jobs by getting you to believe their products work better?

How should i know, i haven't seen any visible proof to your claims thus far...

Old 01-28-2005, 09:12 PM

personally i didn't like vpower. it sucked up my gas mileage like nuts, i went from some 30mpg in the city to 20mpg city.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:52 AM

ok, sputtering motor and all... its all in my head... yup.... Wrong. ive had enough of this, I have a feeling that you still wouldnt believe it if you were in my car as I filled up at one of these stations, and then saw for yourself
Old 01-29-2005, 06:32 AM
JV
Who?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CooBlueDAB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, sputtering motor and all... its all in my head... yup.... Wrong. I've had enough of this, I have a feeling that you still wouldn't believe it if you were in my car as I filled up at one of these stations, and then saw for yourself</TD></TR></TABLE>

::rolls eyes::

I'm here to learn just like everybody else. If you are going to argue your point, then at least show me something with some substance to it.

Until someone does, i'm sticking to my original opinions...