Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

gas milage goin to shit!?!? help

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas milage goin to ****!?!? help

alright guys i have been driving around with my gsr conversion for about a month now and i have been losing gas milage. i usually get about 210+ on 8 gal. but now i only get about 200 one 9 gal.
you guys think its because i over tighten my axle nuts?

also while i was doing my conversion i had to replace two wheel studs. so i had to take off the hub and replace it. but when i was replacing the hub i know for sure i over tightened it. i used the axle nut to push the hub back into place but i didnt torque it back to spec. i went over torque spec. so now i am lost (i also get alot more ground noise).

Old 04-17-2007, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gas milage goin to ****!?!? help (kasperxtcy)

how old are the spark plugs, dizzy, fuel filter?

Tires pressure?
Old 04-17-2007, 08:00 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kasperxtcy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alright guys i have been driving around with my gsr conversion for about a month now and i have been losing gas milage. i usually get about 210+ on 8 gal. but now i only get about 200 one 9 gal.
you guys think its because i over tighten my axle nuts?

also while i was doing my conversion i had to replace two wheel studs. so i had to take off the hub and replace it. but when i was replacing the hub i know for sure i over tightened it. i used the axle nut to push the hub back into place but i didnt torque it back to spec. i went over torque spec. so now i am lost (i also get alot more ground noise).

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Probably not your axle nut. That wouldnt make much sense. How was the air filter? have you been beating on the car? spark plugs good? timing good?
Old 04-17-2007, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gas milage goin to ****!?!? help (B serious)

never had a problem until i did the conversion
dont know whats up. i just did the fual filter at 120k and the car only has like 165k right now. just took the car to honda to do a recall inspec. they changed spark plug. so i dont know whats wrong
Old 04-17-2007, 08:13 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kasperxtcy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">never had a problem until i did the conversion
dont know whats up. i just did the fual filter at 120k and the car only has like 165k right now. just took the car to honda to do a recall inspec. they changed spark plug. so i dont know whats wrong</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, fuel filters wont give you BETTER gas mileage. Just as an FYI. Think about it...the car is running leaner with a bad filter, right? Fuel filters just give you lost power back. 200/9=22mpg. Thats pretty bad, brozef. No fuel leaks? O2 sensors good? Doing a lot of cold short trip style driving? A/C-ing it up in this motha? Junk in your trunk? Overweight friends?

hmm....
Old 04-17-2007, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nope just me and my girl. nothing in the truck. everything looks good. havent beening beating on the car either. drive normaly. i dont know why the car is losing gas milage. was doing good until i did the conversion. u sure over tightening my axle nut wont kill my gas milage. because i asked my automotive instructure and he said that it could depending how over tighten it is. i jacked up my front end and the wheels turn pretty good but i still have to push a bit to get the wheel turning and they dont sping freely. i guess i might just jackup the front end again and retorque my axle nut.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:22 PM

if your cars been stored for a while it eats more gas the first few week u drive it. clean your injectors and also check if your brakes are sticking or calipers seized
Old 04-17-2007, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gas milage goin to ****!?!? help (Leung)

yea i think i am goin to do that maybe this Thursday. i hope it not a caliper or my ebrake cable i dont want to replace anything else. no the car has been sitting. but all i know is that after the conversion i started losing as millage. i am goin to also redo the axle nut and i hope that does the trick and at the same time i guess i can finally put in my x drill slotted rotor to. will see what happens. i hope i get it fixed
Old 04-17-2007, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i know this is a lil off topic but ke your quote is so fuggin funny had to say something

try doin a tune up?
Old 04-18-2007, 07:51 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kasperxtcy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nope just me and my girl. nothing in the truck. everything looks good. havent beening beating on the car either. drive normaly. i dont know why the car is losing gas milage. was doing good until i did the conversion. u sure over tightening my axle nut wont kill my gas milage. because i asked my automotive instructure and he said that it could depending how over tighten it is. i jacked up my front end and the wheels turn pretty good but i still have to push a bit to get the wheel turning and they dont sping freely. i guess i might just jackup the front end again and retorque my axle nut. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol you make your GSR conversion sound like an insignificant change. You just changed the ENGINE to an engine from another car...so one would assume the gas mileage will change. You will lose gas mileage as compared to your D series a little bit. Are you checking gas mileage accurately? Fill up the tank to full, drive for X amount of miles. Refill tank up to full (Y amount of gallons). Then X/Y=MPG. Im assuming you're doing that right. You will lose some mileage from the D series, but, still, 22 mpg is terrible. Do you let the car idle a lot? What ECU are you using? Performance ECUs usually have a richer fuel map.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i mean i did the front and rear disc conversion on it. sorry i wasnt specific enough. yeah but after doing the conversion thats when it started. i just jacked up the front end and yeah it is a bit tight. so i think i am goin to redo the hub and hopefully it works.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 93 CX hatch and once I swapped it, I averaged 25 mpg in city normal driving. I took it on a long highway cruise at 80 mph the whole time and got 30 mph.

You cant compare D to B gas mileage wise
Old 04-18-2007, 12:28 PM

how did you use your axles to press your hub in? thats almost impossible
Old 04-18-2007, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (YoungKadafi)

no i used the axle nut to push the hub back on the housing. also guys i am talking about suspension, i swayed out my stock front rear knuckle and arm for gsr. and that is when i started having problems with gas milage.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:11 PM

Default Re: (kasperxtcy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kasperxtcy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i swayed out my stock front rear knuckle and arm for gsr. . </TD></TR></TABLE>

no offense, but physically its impossible to have those 2 words together like that. Front Back, which one is it?

Did you only change one knuckle? your probably not aligned now.

drive up to 80, then take it out of gear, listen for hanky panky, and go from there. Also see how long it takes to slow back down. If its quick, then something might be dragging or not aligned. Let go of the steering wheel and say "the 1st rule of project mayhem, is you do not axe questions." then see if it veers off to the right

if it does, then you should probably just roll with it........jk, but then you know that just slapping something on there isnt the correct way to go, its plotting the attack. You cant just walk up to margret and tear her skirt off, you need to blueprint out the approach.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (YoungKadafi)

i did the whole entire sway front two knuckles and both rear arm.