Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

GAS LEAK FOUND! Couple Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 GAS LEAK FOUND! Couple Questions

A month or two ago i posted a thread on here asking about a strong gas smell...and i hadnt found anything untill i stopped looking... while i was getting an oil change at a local shop i was under the gas tank and was checking for anything out of the ordinary...smelled the gas and noticed a small wet spot on the tank and sure enough it was leaking from the tank...that said...should i just buy a new tank or try n have it fixed? Is it a serious thing and should i take precautions on the tank igniting? or am i being rediculous? With my luck i dont wanna blow anything off thinking its not a problem when it is! Id like to keep my car running but not a running firecracker! thanks and please dont make fun of me lol...please?
Old 11-20-2008, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get a new tank man...a fuel leak can be a serious safety issue.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by skibloosi
A month or two ago i posted a thread on here asking about a strong gas smell...and i hadnt found anything untill i stopped looking... while i was getting an oil change at a local shop i was under the gas tank and was checking for anything out of the ordinary...smelled the gas and noticed a small wet spot on the tank and sure enough it was leaking from the tank...that said...should i just buy a new tank or try n have it fixed? Is it a serious thing and should i take precautions on the tank igniting? or am i being rediculous? With my luck i dont wanna blow anything off thinking its not a problem when it is! Id like to keep my car running but not a running firecracker! thanks and please dont make fun of me lol...please?
I wouldnt stop driving it, but I would get it fixed. Whatever is cheaper, getting it repaired, or replacing it. Are you sure its your tank? Might be your injectors. Just a thought.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by skibloosi
a leak with your tank will not cause it to explode.
there is not enough air in your tank to ignite the gas.
so you can drive it but get it fixed asap.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chickenwing
people have died from their tank exploding while accidently doing something. Or not being too careful. drain the gas, switch the tanks, and be extra freaking careful. No smokers....
Old 11-21-2008, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by chickenwing
unless you drive arond with a full tnk all the time you have air in your tank.and if its leaking that means gas is coming out of the tank. How ever you look at it its not a safe thing to have happening. Call around there are shops that rpair tanks but it is prob. going to be less to just replace it
Old 11-22-2008, 10:05 AM

Icon4 thank you

Thank you to all who replied,your posts were helpful!