Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

gas consumption is bonkers!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas consumption is bonkers!

i just bought a car last week or so, and have filled up the gas twice already and have only driven the car about 150 miles! obviously there is a major problem with my gas consumption. what is causing such poor consumption on my eg?
Old 01-05-2005, 04:56 PM

Default Re: gas consumption is bonkers! (SalmanzCivic)

i just used the search button and found some things to do like:

get an oil change
check my o2 sensors,
fuel filter, air filterr
and change spark plugs

i guess after all tht it should be better. my mistake for posting without researching!
Old 01-05-2005, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gas consumption is bonkers! (SalmanzCivic)

bonkers is right. that's about 7 miles per gallon!!!

i assume that there is no obvious leak right? even an out of tune engine with bad plugs and a bad O2 sensor should get better mpg. you need to first make sure the basics are there. good plugs, wires, O2 sensor. then another sensor may be bad that feeds the ecu temperature causing it to run rich all the time [ecu never thinks the engine gets up to temperature].

idk though... that mpg is beyond horrible...
Old 01-05-2005, 05:08 PM

It could be your driving style. I mean, thats really bad driving if it is and I do mean REALLY bad driving.

If your not use to the amount of power a stock civic has, you might be braking and speeding too fast which eats up your gas.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Sam P 27)

With it being so horrible, it almost sounds like your MAP sensor isn't working correctly.

Is your CEL on? If no, does it work (does it turn on for 2 secs when you first go to start the car)?
Old 01-06-2005, 05:52 AM

Default Re: (EE_Chris)

KC?

Likely culprit is the Cat or o2 sensor or Fuel filter, the other things don't really relate much to bad MPG.

My white hatch does the same thing, but I know it needs an O2 sensor and cat (which it will never get, maybe I'll throw the old Dx mani on and run w/o a cat)

What kind of car is it? It could at least tell us how completely terrible your mileage actually is. My Vx gets if I'm real real lucky 15 MPG, my Dx got like 28 mpg while the rings were shot. My CX got like 42 mpg before I blew the engine. When the Dx had the LS it got like 28 mpg, after it was turboed like 19-23 mpg. My current CX with Ls swap I expect to get around 25-30. When I finally get my lazy *** up and do the VX LST swap I expect around 19-25. My 90 carb'd prelude gets like 20-25, but the carb needs to be adjusted and it has some other issues.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:26 AM
Electrician

I only get like 22mpg on a stock D15B7. Timing is within spec, new OEM fuel filter, NGK plugs gapped, etc...etc...etc...

Definitely need a new O2 sensor and probably a cat, 137k on stock O2 and cat, they're both probably shot.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:27 AM

Default Re: (92civicb18b1)

i have a 93 civic ex with 125000 miles on it. is it costly to replace the o2 sensors? and what exactly do u mean when u say is my CEL on? i dont quite understand that. its definately not my driving because ive been cautious trying to preserve the gas because its running so poorly.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:29 AM

Default Re: (SalmanzCivic)

and dimi, when u say get a new cat.. does that mean a new cat back exhaust or a catalytic converter?
Old 01-06-2005, 06:32 AM

CEL is your Check Engine Light. if you have a prob with your o2 sensor it should probably turn on.

when you turn on your engine, first turn the key to the on position for a few seconds and see if the CEL lights up and then goes away.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:35 AM
Electrician

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SalmanzCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a 93 civic ex with 125000 miles on it. is it costly to replace the o2 sensors? and what exactly do u mean when u say is my CEL on? i dont quite understand that. its definately not my driving because ive been cautious trying to preserve the gas because its running so poorly.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well you only have 1 O2 sensor. If you look at your header, a little bit toward the bottom, you'll see a sensor threaded into the header with a harness going to it. That's the O2 sensor. It isn't costly, get a direct plug-in sensor from: http://www.sparkplugs.com If you get an OEM Honda one, they are costly, about $175 costly. From that site, it's about $60.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SalmanzCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and dimi, when u say get a new cat.. does that mean a new cat back exhaust or a catalytic converter? </TD></TR></TABLE>

No, just a catalytic converter. When that goes out, gas mileage can and will drop. Don't get a cheap eBay replacement either. Those go out fairly quickly aswell. Get some of the more top of the line cats, like Catco and others.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SalmanzCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a 93 civic ex with 125000 miles on it. is it costly to replace the o2 sensors? and what exactly do u mean when u say is my CEL on? i dont quite understand that. its definately not my driving because ive been cautious trying to preserve the gas because its running so poorly.</TD></TR></TABLE>

cel pops up when a sensor messes up or u guessed it, senses sum'n went bad..and for the o2, u can get a denso, factory replace for like 80 bones here
https://www.automedicsupply.co...3c45d

dont even think of going to honda..200 +
Old 01-06-2005, 07:07 AM
Electrician

Denso OEM replacement from http://www.sparkplugs.com for $63. Cheapest I've found.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dimi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Denso OEM replacement from http://www.sparkplugs.com for $63. Cheapest I've found.</TD></TR></TABLE>

forgot that one
Old 01-06-2005, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EvilPinkEye)

other things that'll throw off ur gas mileage are ur wider tires or not enough air pressure, And yes as stated before ur Cat. Conv., dont forget heavy **** layin around ur car, and the more ppl u have in it

Basicly more of the things that add hp will decrease gas mileage
things that add Tq will sometimes increase gas mileage

...i could be wrong

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sam P 27 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It could be your driving style. I mean, thats really bad driving if it is and I do mean REALLY bad driving.

If your not use to the amount of power a stock civic has, you might be braking and speeding too fast which eats up your gas. </TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sam P 27 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If your not use to the amount of power a stock civic has,</TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sam P 27 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If your not use to the amount of power a stock civic has,</TD></TR></TABLE>
"Not use to the amount of power a stock civic has?"

DUDE, please tell me ur kidding...

and theres no way if u REDLINED EVERY gear before shifting that ur gas mileage would be THAT bad, c'mon now...
Old 01-06-2005, 12:32 PM

Default Re: (HatchEh2)

ok i put my car in the power on position, nd yes the CEL did blink...so im gona go ahead and buy that o2 sensor from sparkplugs.com, and also.. is there a diy for o2 sensor installing? cuz i cant seem to find one , all i see is that o2 wideband stuff.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:11 PM

a diy for an o2 are you kidding me? first buy the o2 socket then put it on a ratchet (the thing that makes the clicking noise) then put the socket on the o2 sensor then turn counter clockwise and walla its off do the reverse to put the new one on. it helps to do it when the car is warmed up. good luck
Old 01-06-2005, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (slow94coupe)

o2 sensor can improve mpg by as much as 40%
Old 01-06-2005, 01:55 PM

Default Re: (flood)

like everyone else says check the o2 censor. I got a bone stock d15b7 with a full CAI and I get 50mpg on the interstate, the engine has 175k miles
Old 01-06-2005, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SalmanzCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok i put my car in the power on position, nd yes the CEL did blink...so im gona go ahead and buy that o2 sensor from sparkplugs.com, and also.. is there a diy for o2 sensor installing? cuz i cant seem to find one , all i see is that o2 wideband stuff. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Wideband o2 is for A/F ratio shtuff. You don't need that. Installing the o2 sensor is easy. Find it, unscrew it, screw the new one in.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SalmanzCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok i put my car in the power on position, nd yes the CEL did blink...so im gona go ahead and buy that o2 sensor from sparkplugs.com, and also.. is there a diy for o2 sensor installing? cuz i cant seem to find one , all i see is that o2 wideband stuff. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Is it actually spitting back a O2 code though? Why not check it to be sure??
Old 01-06-2005, 02:34 PM

Default Re: (HatchEh2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HatchEh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"Not use to the amount of power a stock civic has?"

DUDE, please tell me ur kidding...

and theres no way if u REDLINED EVERY gear before shifting that ur gas mileage would be THAT bad, c'mon now...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its an indefinite answer that could be ONE reason (especially since hes has a new car). Dont have to overreact like a little girl.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:35 AM

Default Re: (Sam P 27)

quick question... theres a thread entitled "ECU AND ABS CODES HERE" .. it tells all the ecu codes that come up for an integra.. i was wondering.. are the trouble codes the same for my 93 ex civic? and also is the blue connector in which u stick the paper clip into.. on the passenger side just like the integras? thnks guys for all the help uve give thus far, its really come in handy. thanks!
Old 01-07-2005, 11:46 AM

yes, my plug was blue, it was covered in a green plastic thing.

I'm not sure if the codes are the same but I think all obd1 honda codes are the same.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (92civicb18b1)

Pulling a 2000lb trailer with my LS hatch I still got 22mpg and 30+ otherwise.

Quick Reply: gas consumption is bonkers!