Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

GAHHH!!! WHICH ONE!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GAHHH!!! WHICH ONE!?!?!?!

Hey guys... I'm going to be getting a loan to get a motor swap sometime this year to replace my d16z6 in my del Sol.... I had it all in my head that I was going to get a b18b from TorontoJDM.com for about 2k shipped. here's the link to the exact motor... http://www.torontojdm.com/lite/cart.php ... ory_id=120

Then I was going to throw about 10 lbs of boost in it, build it up a lil, and set my goal at about 300 whp and call it a DD....

then I found this.......http://www.torontojdm.com/lite/cart.php ... ory_id=120

JDM b16A for 2150 shipped... NOW I CAN'T DECIDE!!!!

B18b-- 142 hp, 9.2:1 compression non vtec, 7200 rpm, 1.8 liters...
b16a-- 170 hp, 10.4:1 compression, VTEC!!!!!! ;D 8200 rpm redline, 1.6 liters...

Now I can't decide... I know I want boost and I'd be sad to get rid of my vtec but I know how easy it is to boost an ls and that was my original plan..... IDK!?!?!?!
Old 07-14-2010, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GAHHH!!! WHICH ONE!?!?!?!

b16a you could always boost it
Old 07-14-2010, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

care to explain a lil more on your choice? I dont have much experience with B series...
Old 07-14-2010, 07:08 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the one with better compression, better stock Hp, better redline, VTEC already stock... then boost! I see a no brainer here.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well that's kinda what I was thinking when I saw it... but how common is this setup??

ls's are rarer in del Sols and already has lower Compression FOR boost. I'm just curious what characteristics are different between the two to get it to 300 whp on boost?

thanks for your input btw
Old 07-14-2010, 07:11 PM

Not sure why you would ever spend that kind of coin on either one of those engines. I see LS motors sell all day for less than $500. Get some quality internals, build it, boost it and call it a day. You could go K series for not much more than that even.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the stock rods in both those motor wont last long over 260 hp , if your looking for 300 hp you should find a cheaper block and build it for boost , with quaility parts of course , eagle h beam rods , forged pistons , acl bearings , crank gurdle , fresh hone, andarp hardware . sounds like a good recipie to me
Old 07-14-2010, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sell your Sol and find one with a swap already , then build from there.

The thing is there are sols out there where people have spent 20k and end up selling them for $5-7

So find a nice clean build, get it inspected and sell yours and start from there, stay away from the ricers

You can usually tell what's a good build if the seller lists tiny little scratches on the car and takes pictures of little rips in the seat in the ad, he/she is probably really particulate in the build , in other words really **** about the details, so you're not gonna get a sloppy build

I found a SOL awhile back with a stock B16 in it for $3k cash owned by an old dude , I just missed the sale by 10minutes , I found a fully buily D16 with forged pistons etc. and turbo for $5k and it ran awesome

So hit autotrader, and the streets , and find a sol with a swap already or a stock b16
Old 07-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're plan is boost in the future, get the LS. For the time being you'll enjoy the extra torque of the b18. You could find an LS locally though for fairly cheap. I used to have a jdm b16a, now I have a b18a1.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtragz
the stock rods in both those motor wont last long over 260 hp
o rly? i think many people might disagree with you

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/lst-ls-t-turbo-b18a-b18b-setups-1323059/

op: definitely go with the ls over the b16. it's the most anemic vtec b-series engine out there and has been hyped up beyond belief. for daily driving having the torque from the ls to scoot around town is a much better route to go. and it also handles boost very nicely even when completely stock.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow why would some one chose nonvtec over vtec they have more power and in the end will out perform the over played ls. but if you are going vtec dont settle for the b16 go lsvtec or crvtec. i have yet to see an all motor ls that pulls on mustang gt's like i can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. and disregard the k series comment they are way to much, and ill pull on them all day with my b20vtec
Old 07-14-2010, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by vtecveins
wow why would some one chose nonvtec over vtec they have more power and in the end will out perform the over played ls. but if you are going vtec dont settle for the b16 go lsvtec or crvtec. i have yet to see an all motor ls that pulls on mustang gt's like i can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. and disregard the k series comment they are way to much, and ill pull on them all day with my b20vtec
K haters everywhere. I eat B20's for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I still rock the B in the daily, but when it's no K series.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Colonel Cake Mix

op how much are you willing to spend, or how much to you have to spend (and yes i know its a loan, but you are still spending the coin)

if you want your vtec still and you want boost and your experience with the whole b series is very little i suggest a gsr+turbo. you could easily make 300 whp with that set up w/ a few simple upgrades and a good tune.

the hybrid motors are great and powerful, but there is no point in messing with them if you arent knowledgable with them, and you dont want to dump the time into building it.

do your research on the motors, there is a lot of great info in here.

and good luck
Old 07-14-2010, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

go with an LS. dont spend $2000 on a friggin LS though! for $2000 you could probably find an LS locally on craigslist/junkyard, put it in u car, and ahve a turbo kit pieced together already! B16A's are good motors but u will really like the torque of the 1.8. ever think about a GSR?
Old 07-14-2010, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Speaking from experience with both engines, I say go for the LS. BUT, as many have said, NOT for $2k! I got my LS complete swap with extras for $800 and my stripped down d16z6.

Search a bit and you can find a nicely priced LS motor to work with.

They handle boost well. My old LS was turbo'd in the integra that it came out of. It saw 10 psi all the time and ran mid to low 13's with other issues going on (horrible suspension, stock ecu, spinning off the line, etc. etc.). The power it made was unknown because I bought the motor before he finished the turbo build and got it tuned.

After being boosted for a year, I bought it and drove it N/A for about 5k miles before selling the Sol to a local guy.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:26 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Your links don't work btw.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by -__-
go with an LS. dont spend $2000 on a friggin LS though! for $2000 you could probably find an LS locally on craigslist/junkyard, put it in u car, and ahve a turbo kit pieced together already!
yea 2k is ridiculous. i got mine for $300.

if anything get an ls or jdm b20b from hmotors for about $1,000 or less shipped

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...age&item=30026
http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...age&item=30028
Old 07-14-2010, 11:18 PM
pm4nudes

they sell complete gsr swaps for 2k nowadays
Old 07-14-2010, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by chewyv
they sell complete gsr swaps for 2k nowadays
It really depends on your location. You would not find a gsr swap for 2k around here unless someone was in a major money situation.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok guys.. to answer a few of your questions...

I have done my research and I have looked into a gsr...

but I'm not ready for that kinda power yet. I'm trying to work my way up with new, reliable parts

I chose one of these motors because I know they'll be good for at least another 60k miles before anything goes wrong. I had a few LS's laying around but I just didn't trust em so I sold em. That's why I wanna go new, I KNOW they'll drop in and work perfect, saving me time and money in the long run

I COULD get just the long block for about $600 and piece the rest of it together but that takes more time and an undetermined price tag. With a straight up swap, I can get one lump sum, buy it and drop it in, and go a while paying off the loan before I have to do anything to the car again...

and If I got the LS, I probably won't be doing LS VTEC.. good idea but not a good idea for me... I just don't have that kind of experience or any local tuners good enough or trustworthy enough to get it to be reliable.

I know LS's handle boost well, I've done LOTS of research on that.. but when I found a JDM b16a for about the same price and more power.... I can't decide now. I dont know how easy it is to boost one but I know how easy parts are for it...

thanks for all the advice so far
Old 07-15-2010, 11:29 AM
H-T White Ops

Originally Posted by wolf95
ok guys.. to answer a few of your questions...

I have done my research and I have looked into a gsr...

but I'm not ready for that kinda power yet. I'm trying to work my way up with new, reliable parts

I chose one of these motors because I know they'll be good for at least another 60k miles before anything goes wrong. I had a few LS's laying around but I just didn't trust em so I sold em. That's why I wanna go new, I KNOW they'll drop in and work perfect, saving me time and money in the long run

I COULD get just the long block for about $600 and piece the rest of it together but that takes more time and an undetermined price tag. With a straight up swap, I can get one lump sum, buy it and drop it in, and go a while paying off the loan before I have to do anything to the car again...

and If I got the LS, I probably won't be doing LS VTEC.. good idea but not a good idea for me... I just don't have that kind of experience or any local tuners good enough or trustworthy enough to get it to be reliable.

I know LS's handle boost well, I've done LOTS of research on that.. but when I found a JDM b16a for about the same price and more power.... I can't decide now. I dont know how easy it is to boost one but I know how easy parts are for it...

thanks for all the advice so far
That's just it. These engines are not new.

These engines are as new as an engine bought out of a US car locally.

They don't replace gaskets or even spark plugs or hoses. They just pull the engine and sell it to you.

The only differences between used local and used through a JDM website is the company might give you a warranty (90 day or so many miles). There have been plenty of people who have purchased engines from companies and been unimpressed by the broken engine they receive.

Sometimes when you buy local you can even drive the car with the engine you want to buy before you buy. So you can see just how well it runs. Plus a local engine only has so far to travel and much of that trip can be chaperoned by you.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

very true... good point.

Most online engine sellers give you a 100% start up guarantee. CL posters dont..
Old 07-15-2010, 01:58 PM
H-T White Ops

We've bought several engines locally and never had a problem. We haven't heard them all run before purchase either. You just have to be smart about the purchase. If the seller is difficult to reach or unwilling to answer questions then perhaps that isn't the engine to buy. No one has a reason to be shady about a legit well-running engine.

Plus at least one of the engines we purchased we were specifically looking for a US engine, which most of these online companies don't really stock.

If I were going to buy an engine online I'd be sure to buy from an established, reliable company with good reviews.

I've never heard of TorontoJDM.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm... very good points you have there. They are a Canadian company I found browsing the interwebs one day. They show full all around pics of all the motors and accessories and pressure checks of every cylinder. I even emailed them and got a pretty quick response. seemed legit....

just fyi.... I found an ls vtec motor swap today for 1300...... lol
Old 07-15-2010, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 95 del sol vtec (stock b16) and I really want more power. I plan on going crvtec soon.

Quick Reply: GAHHH!!! WHICH ONE!?!?!?!