Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

fully built SOHC civics thoughts of this setup?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fully built SOHC civics thoughts of this setup?

Heard you can get about 300whp max out of a 95 ex, is this true, high 12's in a hatch?
Old 02-01-2005, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: fully built SOHC civics thoughts of this setup? (rocketfuelcerx)

Anything can be done with money.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:11 PM

Default Re: fully built SOHC civics thoughts of this setup? (chowmien)

You can get a lot more than 300whp with a fully built sohc motor. I should be running 12's this season in my turbo coupe and my motor is still stock.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:35 PM

Default Re: fully built SOHC civics thoughts of this setup? (beerbongskickass)

How much boost you running and with what turbine and mani?
Old 02-05-2005, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bisimoto has a d15 in his hatch and he runs 10's , ohh and its NA
Old 02-05-2005, 05:39 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why would 300be the max if the motor is built?

with a built motor there is such a variety of things that you can actually do,
there really is no max..
it's not like every built motor is the same

theres a max for a stock motor, they can handle around 200whp.

personaly, If I was going to build a sohc motor..
i'd probably do forged pistons/rods, and post the block.
thats really not all that expensive at all.. and I don't even know how much power it could handle.. but would be alot I would imagine..
Old 02-05-2005, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: fully built SOHC civics thoughts of this setup? (Tad)

posting block= poor mans sleeving lol, but it is very effective,and u suggest it if you are doing a build on a budget, if there is such a thing
Old 02-05-2005, 06:24 PM

Default Re: fully built SOHC civics thoughts of this setup? (Soccerking3000)

so what would you have to do to a sohc to get 300hp and be NA at the same time?
Old 02-05-2005, 06:27 PM
eL
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: fully built SOHC civics thoughts of this setup? (99hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so what would you have to do to a sohc to get 300hp and be NA at the same time?</TD></TR></TABLE>

get a lot of money
Old 02-05-2005, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: fully built SOHC civics thoughts of this setup? (eL)

that would be borderline impossible, the fabrication work would be so extensive you wouldnt be by any means a honda engine anymore
Old 02-05-2005, 08:07 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so what would you have to do to a sohc to get 300hp and be NA at the same time?</TD></TR></TABLE>

probably, stroke, bore, shorter connecting rods, bigger pistons, hell, who knows what else more
Old 02-05-2005, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: fully built SOHC civics thoughts of this setup? (knockout)

just build it to safely hold boost and be done with it
Old 02-05-2005, 08:48 PM

F22!
Old 02-05-2005, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just power that baby with love.

Really though... 300hp is cake w/ enough cash. And I'm not talking like... crazy cash. Just more than I got. haha.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:03 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CRXDrew)

300whp dseries N/A is NOT cake no matter how much money you have

the guy that said it is borderline impossible was on point
Old 02-05-2005, 09:06 PM
Multi-paradigm

Default Re: (Tad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">300whp dseries N/A is NOT cake no matter how much money you have

the guy that said it is borderline impossible was on point</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think i agree with this. can anyone prove otherwise? as in...it IS cake, and it IS really easy? that would be kind of interesting.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:06 PM

Default Re: (syntax_error)

for the right person it would be a simple as buying a JG redline packaged single cam, bumping up the compression, machining valveless heads and building an exhaust and intake system to match.

There are alot of people who could do it but none that seem to be interested in this kind of thing.

Some of you might remeber several years back honda unveiled a prototype next gen street bike that was making 300 hp from 1 liter N/A.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:08 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stormy)

dude,
you can have the most freakin BEAUTIFUL head package,
13:1 compression, a miracle cam, hours on the dyno,
and you're not going to make 300whp with a dseries.

i'll put money on that.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:37 PM

200whp NA sohc is hard already...

1 horsepower really.. really really really hard to squeeze out after that point.

so realistic, a 300 whp d-series? eh.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:00 AM

Default Re: (Br1anPham)

Originally Posted by Br1anPham
200whp NA sohc is hard already...

1 horsepower really.. really really really hard to squeeze out after that point.

so realistic, a 300 whp d-series? eh.
Ok let's take the JG package which is a claimed 220 hp tuned for the d16z6 without an increase in displacment and 11:1 with a ported manifold.

The cost I believe is something like 5K for that package if you provide the motor. Now let's say you raise compression another 2 points because you have a bad *** tuner you live in Texas and have 93 octane and you've greatly improved the ignition and cooling system. Each full point of compression is worth another 4% of the total. So doing this now should result in a total output of 237.6 hp.

Then you replace the Intake manifold with quad throttle bodies, flow match the intake side of the head (extrude hone does this for turbo manifolds and the results are impressive) and step up to another cam (having one designed for ITB's is very difficult but can be done) Touring car teams have claimed 40hp peak gains @9100 rpm on a 300hp motor with just the ITB's over a ported prelude manifold. So figure total another 15% on the safe side an the out put now should be 273.24 hp

At this point the RPM limit is quite high and the spring rates have gone up considerably to compensate so as to not float the valves. The problem is the increase in spring pressure may have raised the total valvetrain loss from a 20% base to 30%.

Several years ago hot rod did an article on a company I believe in virginia that does valveless head designs for open wheel race cars and the adapted that technology to a 5.0 mustang engine. Basically they removed the valve assembly all together and replaced the cam with a hollow piece of chromoly that had 4 ball shaped areas along it that were machined to function like a valve as the assembly rotates. That peice because it was hollow machine chromoly weighed about the same as the stock cam but was able to rmove the valvetrain loss completely, The resulting 5.0L engine with ITB's and 11.1 compression tuned for 91 octane made an incredible 200hp per liter or 1000hp verified on an engine dyno for HR magazine.

So let's say this engine was'nt using kamikaze dual springs but a very stiff single spring and 25% was gained back by this the output now should be 341.65 or on a dyno pak which typically shows an 8% drivetrain loss the WHP would then be 314.38

Some things to remeber here A: the 220 hp from the base motor is static but every mod thereafter is a percentage of the total which means the 2 points of compression will be worth alot more hp to the built motor. B: I have not even covered an increase in displament, the removal of the valvetrain would allow this engine to rev to considerable levels even if you added another 500cc's or about 26% to the toal displacement. Nor have I added things like an electric water pump, dry sump oiling sytem, hondata IM gasket, velocity stack tuning (by tilting the engine forward slightly the velocity stacks could be made a bit longer) a further tuned header and exhuast to compensate for a massively increased flow or the fact that the cost of all of this (likely 15-20K) would only be done for racing purposes so anothe small jump in exhaust tuning a further increase in compression to 15:1 as now fuel options are up to 112 octane availiable at Cali Speedway in particular as well as the increse with further ecu tuning.

Basically take an f1 engine design approach and take off the last 15% because no tuner is within that area of engineering which produces 3L 900hp engines or 300hp pr ltr and apply that 245hp pr ltr to a now 2.1L single cam and you now have the possibility for 514.5 hp running on what ever fuel f1 now uses which I think is methanol which I believe is legal in the NHRA.

All of this will probably just remain an internet fantasy because like I siad the right person(s) is not interested at this level but hopefully people who go around quoting what others have done can realize that there is a whole other level out there that people have not yet stepped up to.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:04 AM

by wireless keyboard p3wned that last posts spelling
Old 02-06-2005, 07:20 AM
egizzle8

Holy moses! damn that dude really broke **** down pretty good but I saw was money $igns reading that. vavleless heads. Damn!
Old 02-06-2005, 12:17 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (egizzle6)

were talking about dseries motors here,
not f1 or touring car motors.

comparing them in the least is pointless.

don't want to sound like a jerk, but you are really misinformed man.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:36 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">were talking about dseries motors here,
not f1 or touring car motors.

comparing them in the least is pointless.

don't want to sound like a jerk, but you are really misinformed man.</TD></TR></TABLE>

""Basically take an f1 engine design approach" and "take off the last 15%" because no tuner is within that area of engineering which produces "

not to be a jerk but I used to work for a company that did prototype head designs for feasability studies by a few top fuel teams, you know the motors that are making in the neighborhood of 7000+ hp and I can tell you that all of this is very much within the relm of possibility.

Whether you believe so or not is irrelavant to me. There are several companies that are putting huge R&D money into this and other things I will not mention for import applications and you will further continue to see this manifest itself on many different engines and layouts.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:59 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stormy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">""Basically take an f1 engine design approach" and "take off the last 15%" because no tuner is within that area of engineering which produces "

not to be a jerk but I used to work for a company that did prototype head designs for feasability studies by a few top fuel teams, you know the motors that are making in the neighborhood of 7000+ hp and I can tell you that all of this is very much within the relm of possibility.

Whether you believe so or not is irrelavant to me. There are several companies that are putting huge R&D money into this and other things I will not mention for import applications and you will further continue to see this manifest itself on many different engines and layouts.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well let us know when that technology is available for the dseries platform then.

Quick Reply: fully built SOHC civics thoughts of this setup?