Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Fuel Pump Priming Delay

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Priming Delay

Hi,

I bought a 92 EX with a fuel pump priming issue. When I turn the switch to the on position the check engine light remains on for a while and then activates the fuel pump. I have changed the relay, and clean the ground for the ecu & both fuses. did some basic with the fuel pump. And I dont know what else ...It has a P28 ecu. Lastly what cables does the ecu use to complete the circuit?
Old 05-19-2011, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel Pump Priming Delay

pump?
Old 05-19-2011, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
we have a kid in the lube bay who civic dose the same thing we have have 3 tech looking at. we all have no clue why it dose that . you have to wait about about 8 sec or so after turning the key for the fuel pump to turn on
Old 05-20-2011, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

we fix the prob today we removed the ecu and took the cover off and found that there had been water in side. and started to corrode replace ecu and everything is ok
Old 05-20-2011, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The ECU monitors the fuel injector power supply source from the main relay. If none are found the check engine light will come on and stay on.

Usually the injector/ECU relay may be the second to fail, most always from a dry joint. If the injector/ECU relay fails, a "check engine light" will turn on longer than usual after the ignition is first turned to ON and no clicks are heard from the main relay. And diagnostic trouble code (DTC) 16 may be sought, which should point to a fuel injector open circuit problem - which is most likely a main relay problem. At the same time the fuel pump won't run.

How can I check for injector power from the main relay?

Steps:

1. With a test light, connect one end of the test light to the negative battery terminal.
2. Probe each terminal on the back of the injector connector (try one terminal at a time.) Turn on the ignition and you should see the test light glow on at least one of the terminals.
3. The method to check for fuel pressure (on homepage) should tell you if your injectors are working.
3.If you hear clicks from the injectors while cranking the injectors are working.

I have a new relay. I only hear one click when i turn the key on, then i have to wait a few min.Then I hear the second click, the fuel line primes, and I am able to start the car. IF I only get one click I can't turn it on. I also have power to the injectors on the first click...Dunno whats going on, any help will be gladly appreciated.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well tomorrow i will remove the dash and see if i find any bad wires. If I get to it i will take pictures, if i happened to find it.

Let me also add that the Cruise Control is not working, and that my dash lights sometimes flicker with hitting small bumps.

The ECU doesn't show any sign of water inside, I had it open and investigated the ECU for bad soldered.

This civics delay is more than a few minutes.

--Fossil I am glad you fixed yours, if you happened to come across the same issue, you might have to check your wiring.---
Old 05-21-2011, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a similar fuel pump priming delay issue for several months in a 93 del sol si stock D16Z6 auto. I did several fuel pump replacements, main relay swaps and checked the thermostat ground wires.
TURNED OUT TO BE A WORN OUT IGNITION SWITCH.
If you put a little pressure on the key and jiggle it while you're turning it see if it makes a difference in the fuel pump priming response.