Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Front Wheel Drive VS Four Wheel Drive

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Wheel Drive VS Four Wheel Drive

My friend and I were having a discussion on which of the two (Front wheel drive VS Four Wheel Drive) would be better off the line if the drivers were exactly the same and both knew how to launch the cars. We talked for about 3 hours last night, and we need closure. If anyone know which is better, and has a valid explanation, it would be most helpful if you would share it with us. Thanks in advance!

Akira
Old 12-11-2002, 04:39 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Front Wheel Drive VS Four Wheel Drive (Akira)

AWD easily. You're putting power to the ground with all 4's and not just 2. Twice as much grip at least.
Old 12-11-2002, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Front Wheel Drive VS Four Wheel Drive (Emerica)

please clarify something for me then. If an awd car is putting the same ammount of horses and torque to the ground, then that would mean since it is 4 wheel drive, that the power would be distributed evenly between the four wheels? So, if i found 2 drivers with exactly the same skill level to launch, then why would the for wheel drive car be better off the launch than a two wheel drive car, since both the drivers know when to launch their cars at the right rpm? sorry for more questions asked, but you know, knowledge is power. Thanks a bunch Emerica.

-Akira
Old 12-11-2002, 04:50 PM

Well if the guy in the FWD was good enough to not spin the tires at all(which I think would be really hard) that it would be the same. But even then I would go with the AWD, a monkey can launch an AWD car.
Old 12-11-2002, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Front Wheel Drive VS Four Wheel Drive (Gh0st)

hahahaha...true that...a monkey...funnnnnny.
Old 12-11-2002, 04:53 PM

Well i didnt really get the response that im looking for. I needed a detailed explanation of the mechanics and such. Thanks a lot though guys. This forum is mueh macho.

-Akira
Old 12-11-2002, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

please clarify something for me then. If an awd car is putting the same ammount of horses and torque to the ground, then that would mean since it is 4 wheel drive, that the power would be distributed evenly between the four wheels?

-Akira
4WD and AWD are completely diffrent!
Most "AWD" Set ups are split 70% Front 30% Rear. Plus a lot of AWD cars are turbo, so its not just rev to red line and drop it, and go It takes skill to launch both. AWD and FWD both have their advantages, I would say AWD would get off the line better but FWD will pull high end no problem.

-Alex
Old 12-11-2002, 05:06 PM

Default Re: Front Wheel Drive VS Four Wheel Drive (2kTypeRHatch)

Thanks a lot for the responses, even though your responses meant that i am wrong in my arguement. I really didnt get into the specifics of my friends and i's argument but maybe i should now. Do i only have 5 posts per day limit? I hope not but since i think i might, ill just write it all in this last post.

The scenario is, for example, a civic hatchback with all wheel drive, and a civic hatchback front wheel drive. Same car, same horsepower, same torque. No turbo on the AWD car.

And, if you've answered this question, what about the weight of an AWD car, and the weight of a front wheel drive car? Well, have a good night guys, ill be looking forward to some more responses. Thanks again.

-Akira
Old 12-11-2002, 05:10 PM

Im just testing if i only have 5 posts per day, if this shows up disregard please.

-Akira
Old 12-11-2002, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

from a standstill the AWD car would get the holeshot so to speak. from a decent roll its an even match...
Old 12-11-2002, 05:18 PM

here's an elementary way to think about it. if you have a stationary object (i.e. a car that is not moving) what is a better way to get it moving...to pull it in one direction (FWD) or to be pulling it AND pushing it in the same direction at the same time (AWD) ??? not trying to be condescending or sarcastic but it's the way I visualize the answer to the question.

[Modified by Jay-C, 9:19 PM 12/11/2002]
Old 12-11-2002, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front Wheel Drive VS Four Wheel Drive (eghonda)

a perfect example is the awd eclipse (gsx) and front wheel drive (gst)

the gsx has a slightly faster 1/4 and much faster 1/8 mile, when you start to mod them it is much easier to get all of the power to the ground with the gsx, there are a lot more 11 gsx's than gst's... once you are going about 60 mph though the gst will slightly pull the gsx because of the power lost in the extra driveline ect.
Old 12-12-2002, 01:36 AM

Default Re: Front Wheel Drive VS Four Wheel Drive (dmotoguy)

Hey thanks guys...the last two and the first couple of explainations helped a lot. Thanks for spending your time helping me. Have a good one.

-Akira
Old 12-12-2002, 01:47 AM

If you have AWD you can launch the car at a higher RPM then a FF car because the power is distributed among all four wheels. The higher the RPM is, the more horsepower you are creating. So if you launch higher then the FF, and get the same amount of traction as a FF, you have more power faster.
Old 12-12-2002, 02:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

AWD with a proper launch will probably get the jump, while the FWD with a decent launch will still spin the wheels. Dunno much about drag or launching but from what I understand fwd doesn't get great traction off the line, where an AWD has like no top end. Or something to that extent.