Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Front Strut Tower Brace, does it matter??

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Strut Tower Brace, does it matter??

Hey folks, all right, like the topic, does it matter what brand you go with?? would a 25 dollar one do just as good a job as a $160 dollar on? also, are they worth it? i know i see lots of cars with them.. thanks for the info
Old 12-04-2003, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front Strut Tower Brace, does it matter?? (Can't Afford Boost)

From what i heard only the 3-point bars make a whole lot of difference.Like on Cheezy's Car
Old 12-04-2003, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front Strut Tower Brace, does it matter?? (Skip01)

Benen makes a really nice 3 point. And like anything else, you get what you pay for.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:32 AM
Boba Connoisseur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Front Strut Tower Brace, does it matter?? (aphex23)

Buy a non-adjustable bar.
As is, strut tower bars make almost no difference besides in your head.
Triangulated bars aren't legal in many SCCA classes, if that makes any difference to you.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There may be a noticeable difference but not to the average. Joe. I was goign to get a cheapo set off ebay fro my 240 and everyone was flaming, but when a knowledgable respecte guy said hey I have one and it owrks good for it is intended for..everyone changed their tune. Their will always be people who will flame you for not buying some 200 strut bar. Thats just how it is. My friend has been running a chepo ebay for a year already and has had no "durability" problems
Old 12-04-2003, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (specv5150)

A strut bar won't make a difference on a stock suspension, but it will on a modified suspension. Buy a quality bar. You can get a neuspeed or skunk2 bar for around $100. No need to buy a $160 bar.
Old 12-04-2003, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kommon_sense)

hmm, ok cool, so a two point will do fine?? or is 3 point the way to go?? got two different answeres, i suppose its one of those preferance deals eh? and as far as the suspension goes, i would guess that, i am getting new stuff soon, new shocks and springs etc..
Old 12-04-2003, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (aphex23)

2pt will be fine.
Old 12-04-2003, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just a question but why is his dizzy on the intake side?
Old 12-04-2003, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aphex23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey folks, all right, like the topic, does it matter what brand you go with?? would a 25 dollar one do just as good a job as a $160 dollar on? also, are they worth it? i know i see lots of cars with them.. thanks for the info </TD></TR></TABLE>
They all do the same job!! so no difference!! they're most for look so take your pick!!
Old 12-04-2003, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Front Strut Tower Brace, does it matter?? (GReddy SI)

Thats where they all are?
Old 12-04-2003, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Front Strut Tower Brace, does it matter?? (XratedSi)

notice how its called a strut bar, not a shock bar. Struts locate the suspension, i.e. they can adjust camber and caster. That is not so with shocks on a double wishbone car. If the strut towers flex on a strut equipped car, it will have a much bigger effect than if they do on a double wishbone car.

With that said, "strut bars" that connect to the UCA's like the neuspeed ones probably work the best on our cars. Don't waste your money on jdm bling bars, because most of the effect will be in your head.
Old 12-04-2003, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front Strut Tower Brace, does it matter?? (743)

oh man, haha, i hate asking questions, you always get so many different aswers! its not that i trust one or the other, i just dont know the actual facts so its hard to tell who is right, thanks for the info though folks
Old 12-04-2003, 03:00 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Front Strut Tower Brace, does it matter?? (GReddy SI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GReddy SI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just a question but why is his dizzy on the intake side?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's where they've always been on B series.

H series has the dizzy on exhaust cam though
Old 12-04-2003, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front Strut Tower Brace, does it matter?? (Emerika)

do those neospeed ones bolt right on too? or am i going to have to do some drilling? ive never done this, and its dark out, so i cant think of how these would go..
Old 12-04-2003, 09:28 PM

Yup, don't get much easier:

remove nutsfrom Upper control Arm bolts (4 of 'em, two on each side)

put Neuspeed bar on bolts

put bolts back on (actually Neuspeed includes new bolts with the bar) & tighten down

presto!

I had an e-bay STB on my car before I bought the Neuspeed unit, and the difference between the two was suprising. For the price (especialy when compared to the price of some bling bling JDM bar) I would highly recommend it
Old 12-04-2003, 09:47 PM

Default Re: Front Strut Tower Brace, does it matter?? (SkyeC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkyeC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Buy a non-adjustable bar.
As is, strut tower bars make almost no difference besides in your head.
Triangulated bars aren't legal in many SCCA classes, if that makes any difference to you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

....Well actually I understand the theorys (well kinda lol) about Honda's suspension and a strut bar. However my wife (who could care less about what I do to my Hondas) one day borrowed my cx to run to the store. She had no clue that I just installed a "cheapo" strut bar....anyways when she came back from the store she asked why the car was handling so good.

BTW I (not that I get the driver of the year award or anything) finished first in my class this year (SM) and first overall in our local autox club. During the year I tried a very nicely built ebay front strut bar (all the other suspension goodies in place as well) then I tried a DIY three point strut bar and then no strut bar.

I didn't feel any difference and my times didn't drop in any of the applications. I think it has alot to do with my entire suspension but there you go....

EDIT* This was on my 93 Si.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front Strut Tower Brace, does it matter?? (RangerDan)

hmm, cool, so 2 points go the the neuspeed strut bar.. i may just get one of those then.. not quite as flashy looking, but if it does the job, thats all that matters right!
Old 12-05-2003, 12:22 PM
Boba Connoisseur

FWIW, hearsay has it that the Neuspeed bar is more effective because it connects to the A-arm bolts, which is a part of the suspension/shock tower that will flex the most, and not the upper shock bolts, which are relatively in less stressful area.

I think I will get a Neuspeed bar later this year, just for kicks.

I have had both an adjustable generic Cusco bar, stock GSR, and no strut bar. I've only raced on the Cusco, so I can't say which way feels the best. I don't drive even close to hard enough on the streets for it to matter.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:23 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Front Strut Tower Brace, does it matter?? (SkyeC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkyeC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">FWIW, hearsay has it that the Neuspeed bar is more effective because it connects to the A-arm bolts, which is a part of the suspension/shock tower that will flex the most, and not the upper shock bolts, which are relatively in less stressful area.

I think I will get a Neuspeed bar later this year, just for kicks.

I have had both an adjustable generic Cusco bar, stock GSR, and no strut bar. I've only raced on the Cusco, so I can't say which way feels the best. I don't drive even close to hard enough on the streets for it to matter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you're such a ricer, Skye
Old 12-05-2003, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol
Old 12-05-2003, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Skip01 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">From what i heard only the 3-point bars make a whole lot of difference.Like on Cheezy's Car
</TD></TR></TABLE>

and they give u a place to mount your nitrous solenoids
Old 12-05-2003, 12:30 PM

Essentially, don't all strut tower bars do the same exact thing? If not, please explain why they don't. What exactly is the purpose for the front strut tower bar? When people say adjustable, what are they talking about? What are you adjusting? I thought they were to stiffen the chassis against body roll. Either way I think they all serve the same purpose, regardless if you buy a 25 dollar one as compared to at 150 dollar one.
Old 12-05-2003, 01:32 PM
big strong guy

Default Re: Front Strut Tower Brace, does it matter?? (GQ Cowboy)

2000 and Older Civics DO NOT HAVE STRUTS, They have shocks

So lets call them "Shock Tower Bars"

BTW...I had the Carbing (see pic of my car) and I noticed more Feel within the Steering, But nothing else!

Eric
Old 12-05-2003, 02:05 PM

I not only work on my own civic, but on most of my friends cars (including nissans, mitsus, and toyotas), so I know a little about cars. My friend is a mechanic at GM and he's been working on cars for about 10 years; we both have lowered civics (Ek and Del Sol) and we both agree: front upper strut bar made a great impact on our handling. In fact, our talis run loose now, and we cant wait to put on rear strut bars on our rides.

On the other hand, my other boy has a built type R (ITR 00), and he swapped his stock sway bar for a better/more expensive one, and he never noticed any difference.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Front Strut Tower Brace, does it matter??