Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Front Mount Intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Mount Intake

i was watching some of my old high-rev tunerz vids and i saw the front mount intake dyno 15hp and that was in the shop with a fan on it, i know peeps will think im a poser but i would like to here your feedback if you have used it or know someon who has. please just dont say it gay or stupid, i want to know performance wise from peeps that own it.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Front Mount Intake (hotcivicgurl)

it adds ****...this guy i kno has one and thinks its a "turbo" and raced me(i got a 99 Honda Civic With an H22A4 in it) and lost so bad, and still thinks it has more HP than me..
Old 02-24-2004, 11:30 AM
B A N N E D

Received 2 Likes on 0 Posts

the arospeed one? i've been told it adds a few more hp, but i believe that may just be because of where the filter is located.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:32 AM

i would not purchase it because the aem is better i am sure of it. Also the thing would suck up so much water(not good). Also someone could just rip that bitch off the car if the wanted to.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:38 AM

Default Re: (DrkSi)

I live in indiana the only battle would be snow and rain, plus it comes with a plastic sheild, as far as intake i would definatley buy an aem (that will fit my b16 right) the only thing is my car has the front grill cut out and grill craft grills are 125$$ what are my options intake and grill wise
Old 02-24-2004, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DrkSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You are just begging for Hydrolock with one of those!</TD></TR></TABLE>

wouldnt any air cold intake cause that??
Old 02-24-2004, 12:39 PM

Default Re: (JCracer723)

honestly...
It's a gay cheap look...
It's power is minimal compared to any CAI which is still slightly more than a short ram intake.

The reasoning:
The intake filter is located furthur away from the intake manifold, leaving more tube for the air to flow through to get to the mani/engine. Bring that the filter is located so far away and closer to the ground it allows for it to suck up all kinds of water/moisture which You don't want. A plain old CAI is a more direct feed to the intake alowing the air to flow there quicker and cooler, but still has the ability to suck up water. The short Ram intake allows for the quickest flow of air to the engine, with hardly a fear of sucking water. As for ByPass Valves unless you fully submerger your filter the bypass valve will do nothing (straight from AEM). I had a CAI then went to Short ram intake, the loss of power (about 1-2 hp) was well worth the peace of mind...
Old 02-24-2004, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Grimm)

front mount intakes suck *****
Old 02-24-2004, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JCracer723)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JCracer723 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

wouldnt any air cold intake cause that?? </TD></TR></TABLE>

It could, but less likey to happen when comparing the FMCAI.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:43 PM

I believe those are more for looks than power. The almost endless amount of piping the air has to go through before it reaches your TB is retarded. If they were effective you would see pro N/A racers use it and the cost would be much more. Here's something you might be interested in:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=679224
Old 02-24-2004, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would only buy it if you want a fabricated charge pipe for a REAL turbo
Old 02-24-2004, 12:52 PM

Default Re: (MrIllegalX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MrIllegalX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> If they were effective you would see pro N/A racers use it and the cost would be much more. Here's something you might be interested in:

]</TD></TR></TABLE>

Usually they don't run a filter, so thats why they wouldn't be using them.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing those intakes are good for is buying them cheap from Ebay, throwing away the filter assembly and couplers, cutting the charge pipes up to use as Aluminum turbo charge pipes from a real intercooler to the T-body.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:12 PM

Default Re: (b16ahybrid)

ok let me brake it down for all of those who are oblivious to the matter...

Think as of your Intake Pipe as a straw... and your Intake manifold as your mouth... and you just got done running 3 miles... ok... When you go to take a pit stop and get a drink out of a cup with a straw in it... would you rather...

A: Take a long skinny straw and suck real real hard to get the Susbstanice out of it. ( AROspeed FMCAI )
Or...
B: Take a short Fat straw and suck as you please... ( any other style esp., J's racing )

Or C: TAP THE KEG!!!
Old 02-24-2004, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your best bet is to get either a different CAi or get a Short-ram intake. Or you could do what I did with my friend's civic and that's give her a short-ram intake with a cool air duct. You could also try looking at http://www.PRMRacing.com as they have a short-ram set-up but it sucks air from outside the engine bay. Good luck and seriously, the front mount ones are bad.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:16 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (civiksiracer1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civiksiracer1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok let me brake it down for all of those who are oblivious to the matter...

Think as of your Intake Pipe as a straw... and your Intake manifold as your mouth... and you just got done running 3 miles... ok... When you go to take a pit stop and get a drink out of a cup with a straw in it... would you rather...

A: Take a long skinny straw and suck real real hard to get the Susbstanice out of it. ( AROspeed FMCAI )
Or...
B: Take a short Fat straw and suck as you please... ( any other style esp., J's racing )

Or C: TAP THE KEG!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol
Old 02-24-2004, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civiksiracer1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civiksiracer1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok let me brake it down for all of those who are oblivious to the matter...

Or...

Or C: TAP THE KEG!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

good brake down...lol
Old 02-24-2004, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the purpose of putting it there would be to tell you that you are getting a "ram air" affect, which isnt going to happen with a peice of plastic in front of it. it has been discussed before and it is going to get bashed everytime. you might as well just buy a front mount intercooler and put it on your car. that way everyone will think you are boosted. make sure to get a bunch of NOS stickers on your cars too. they wont mess with you for sure
Old 02-24-2004, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front Mount Intake (lohatch)

thise are ricer intercoolers
Old 02-24-2004, 01:42 PM

I was going to get one but then decided to save for my APEXi turbo!
Old 02-24-2004, 01:52 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Front Mount Intake (H22A EG6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H22A EG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thise are ricer intercoolers</TD></TR></TABLE>

intercooler? how about interFOOLER
Old 02-24-2004, 02:29 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DrkSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You are just begging for Hydrolock with one of those!</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 02-24-2004, 06:06 PM

Default Re: (J.R.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ChkN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

intercooler? how about interFOOLER</TD></TR></TABLE>... LoL, get a short-ram intake
Old 02-24-2004, 06:08 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Grimm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">honestly...
It's a gay cheap look...
It's power is minimal compared to any CAI which is still slightly more than a short ram intake.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly
Old 02-24-2004, 06:38 PM

Default Re: (TwistedSI)

i recomend a ram .. over anything... AEm makes a nice CAI with a bypass valve to block out the water!! BUT i heard that only works when submerged in water... i do not know how true this is.. eityher way you are flirting with a high risk of hydrolokcing your motor...ram is def the safest bet .. the difference between CAI and ram are nothing major.. especially when it comes to keeping your motor

Quick Reply: Front Mount Intake