Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Front LCA

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front LCA

so i just started getting the rest of my suspention componets front and rear camber kits rear toe kit rear lca all new bushings and im doing everything in blue is there front lower control arms that are preferably blue or is it one of those things that if i want it pretty im going to have to pull them and have them powder coated?

probably a stupid question but im new to doing the pretty stuff im more used to puting what works and deal with it. so if anyone knows let me know thanks
Old 07-12-2011, 03:04 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Front LCA

It's kinda stupid. Selecting components based on what color they are. I hope they're quality at least. If you cannot find any then, yes, you will have to pull them to get them powdercoated.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:50 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I hope someone told you that camber and toe kits are a complete waste of money and often wear out more quickly than oem parts. New bushings are a good thing if you bought quality bushings like from PIC, Hardrace, or Energy Suspension.

I would get your money back from whoever told you camber/toe kits are a wise investment, they aren't. They're 100% a false marketing scheme perpetuated by stupid alignment techs and magazines who don't know anything about tire wear. Your toe is already adjustable, 100% waste. The camber kits might only be a 90% waste since the stock arms aren't adjustable, but they're really 100% waste since they're unnecessary. I've been running 2 degrees of camber for years with even tire wear. My first car about 2.5 degrees of camber all through two years of high school with even wear.

I can tell you right now you'll be a lot better off and save money by having your OEM parts sandblasted and powder-coated to the colors you want. The parts will last longer and function better. I personally think it will look stupid and no one will ever see those painted parts except you when you pull it off, and it will probably just look like Ronald McDonald orders your parts.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ umm i dunno where your get your info but ive seen plenty of car that NEED camber adjusment from being lowered, and i dont mean slammed to the ground.. they're def not a waste of money.. yea the rear you can use washers and space out to get the camber right, but the front no..
Old 07-12-2011, 04:35 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ReDHaTcHyGuy
^ umm i dunno where your get your info but ive seen plenty of car that NEED camber adjusment from being lowered, and i dont mean slammed to the ground.. they're def not a waste of money.. yea the rear you can use washers and space out to get the camber right, but the front no..
Read this, if you haven't, then see if this changes your mind.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/no-you-do-not-need-camber-kits-2614449/
Old 07-12-2011, 05:56 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by ReDHaTcHyGuy
I get my info from personal experience. And just because cars have camber doesn't mean they need camber kits. 0 camber is bad for the cars handling, you want 1-2 degrees of camber for the car to handle well. Maybe more if you autocross the car strictly. The tires will wear fine with proper tire rotation.

Even from the factory honda civics and most cars have .5 camber or so to make them safer and handle a bit better. This typically goes for double wishbone suspension cars.

I don't know where you get your superstition but maybe you just like spending $400 on parts that aren't necessary to maintain proper tire wear. Especially when those products when used reduce suspension travel more often than not.

Now, if you bought a camber kit to ADD camber that I would approve of. But 99/100 people don't do that.

Like I said, in high school I had 2.4 or so camber on the front and 2 in the rear with my first civic and went through two sets of tires with even tire wear. I put 55,000 miles on that car and never had uneven wear. It was a piece of junk civic. I sold it and bought the one I have now 5 years ago. I've now been at 1.6 camber on all four wheels for 8,000 miles on 280 treadwear tires and they're wearing perfectly even. Just rotated them last week.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my car has over 4 degrees negative camber and visably lean in so yes camber is a major issue on my car. i went threw 7 sets of tires in 4 years strictly due to camber ware with proper rotations concidering ive been turning wrenches since i was 15 im sure i would know what will fix it. so and if you use the proper bushings and higher quality parts they can be very reliable. the color is strickly a pretty aspect of replacing the parts.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:37 PM
Ek Forever y0!

I'd like to see a scan of your Alignment. Even with 4 degrees of camber you should be able to get reasonable wear with proper rotation and your toe set properly at ~.03-05 out in the front and ~.05 in in the rear.

How the hell did you get 4 degrees of camber without adding camber with a camber kit? My car is tucking in the front and one finger in the rear and I've only got 1.6/1.4 camber.

My civic in high school was even lower and only had 2'ish.

I'll agree to disagree with you on aesthetic values.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its slamed the aesthetic values are not an absolute need just something id like to have. if i have to pull the front lcas and powder coat them so they look nice then they will stay black
Old 07-14-2011, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The OEM Upper arms come with the balljoint, and are expensive as hell. Would probably be cheaper to just get a damn camber kit and set it to -2*
Old 07-14-2011, 02:18 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by hyperblu
The OEM Upper arms come with the balljoint, and are expensive as hell. Would probably be cheaper to just get a damn camber kit and set it to -2*
Why would you need new OEM upper arms? Unless your stock ones are bent, just clean/degrease and sand/paint your OEM ones and replace the bushings.

Could be done for $30.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ek forever guy
Why would you need new OEM upper arms? Unless your stock ones are bent, just clean/degrease and sand/paint your OEM ones and replace the bushings.

Could be done for $30.
Ball joints and arms are made in one piece...