Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

front driver caliper

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front driver caliper

my driver side front caliper is leaking brake fluid, most likely at that boot area...

on kragen's web site, some caliper boot/seal repair kits are available..(it has the boot and some other metal ring)....

is it hard to replace the boot and the metal ring?(the ring is inside the piston right?)

when i replace that boot i'm really rebuilding the caliper isn't it? do i have to take it outta the car to do it? i'm planning to disconnect the brake line, so i can take it off the car to work on it...

anything else i should be looking for while doing this?

94 civic lx non abs..

Modified by hondmywrld at 8:40 PM 4/1/2007
Old 04-01-2007, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: front driver caliper (hondmywrld)

Please re-read what you posted and revise..
Old 04-02-2007, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

first thing u gotta do is remove the caliper from the rotor.... make sure u use a hose clamp so fluid does not leak....use compressed air to remove the piston from the caliper...make sure u place a couple of rags in front of the piston or else it will get damage when using compress air...blow compress air through the opening where the line was connected....when piston is remove make sure u check for the usually wear and tear...clean it up....inside there caliper there should be a square cut seal remove it and also remove the dust boot that's on the outside...clean the entire caliper assembly remove any contaminant.....when that's done just reverse the step....and hopefully you'll have a new caliper....make sure the dust boot is seated in the groove or else it will leak again.....it best to installed the dust boot before the piston....add a little brake fluid inside the caliper for ease of install....and flush ur entire system...try to get rid of the old fluid inside the resevoir and clean the net that's inside......i think that's it .....
Old 04-02-2007, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: front driver caliper (dubzxallxstar)

thank you for much for ur info!

i don't have compressed air... is there any other way to do it?

can it just leave the brake line on and have someone else press the brake in the car?
then i remove the brake line after the piston is out?

i know brake fluid will shoot all over the place but i don't have an air compressor nor the budget to purchase one
Old 04-02-2007, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondmywrld &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thank you for much for ur info!

i don't have compressed air... is there any other way to do it?

can it just leave the brake line on and have someone else press the brake in the car?
then i remove the brake line after the piston is out?

i know brake fluid will shoot all over the place but i don't have an air compressor nor the budget to purchase one</TD></TR></TABLE>

i guess its possible i never tried it that way before...it should work, if not you can alway take it to your local mechanic and ask them to pop it out for you it only take couples seconds......