Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Found 99 civic hx ej7... is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found 99 civic hx ej7... is it worth it?

I've found a 99 civic hx for sale and was wondering how much that everyone thought it would be worth.

First off it's a 99 civic hx 200k miles that is milano red w/ 5 speed, a/c, power windows locks and also has keyless entry. The body is in great shape but has a small ding on one of the fenders and the front/rear bumpers aren't perfect either. I'm sure a good wax job would really bring the shine back out. The body has no rust coming through the paint and it's nice, clean and also straight. I ran a carfax which comes back all clean with only 2 previous owners, the first one had it 19 months and put 16k miles and the 2nd owner had it the rest of the time and put the rest of the miles on it. The mileage doesn't really concern me as it is a honda and as long as you take care and maintain it that it should be just fine.

It does have brand new bridgestone tires which a set of new ones cost at least $300 or so. I've driven the car which runs fairly well and has comparable power to my 97 hx. I looked underneath and it looks like the cv joint boots have been replaced somewhat recent.

Ok the bad... has a cel and the used stealership is not very helpful and selling it as is, it stumbles a little on take off but fine when going down the road which I'm sure the two are tied together. The front rotors could be turned, they aren't bad but you do feel a little in the pedal. The brakes doesn't concern me as I can fix that myself, I did install new pads along with brembo blanks on the 97.

The car definately has potential to be a good car and hopefully wouldn't take too much to get it back in good working condition. My 97 has 186k and is still in good working condition but needs body work and I can buy the 99 for what it would cost me to fix mine. I also have a brand new timing belt, tensioner, water pump, oil pump, all engine seals and gaskets that I had planned to use on mine but will work for both.

I can upload a picture that I took with my cell phone if needed but it's a red 99 civic coupe with d16y5 and hx rims.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:05 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Found 99 civic hx ej7... is it worth it?

What is the CEL on for? You might want to check this first, kind of sounds like it could be a primary O2 sensor, and ones for an HX are pretty pricey.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
What is the CEL on for? You might want to check this first, kind of sounds like it could be a primary O2 sensor, and ones for an HX are pretty pricey.
yeah the 5 wire is easily $300+... The stealer bought it from a new car stealership which traded it in on a new one. They are not helpful on finding out what it's on for. I guess I could go test drive it again and jump the two wires to get the codes from it and go from there. If I need parts I have the 97 but I'd rather try to refrain from doing that as much as possible, unless it was something major such as the engine, tranny, ecu, etc...

I know honda replaced mine under that extended emissions warranty, also cleaned my egr ports, new ecu and also I got a free tuneup and oil change from them as well but they only extended the warranty for 10yrs/150k so I'm sol for getting this one fixed for free.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I ended up picking it up this weekend so now I have two of them. They let me check the codes out to see what they were for. I got codes 12, 71-74. I told him him that one of them was for the egr valve and if that needed replacing it's not going to be too cheap from the dealer and that the rest of the codes could prob. be fixed with a tune up. 71-74 is a misfire in those cylinders so looks like the egr ports need a good cleaning and I've already replaced the plugs with some ngk's and I found someone selling oem honda tune-up kits which includes cap, rotor, and wires so hopefully that will come in this week.

So far it seems like I got a good deal and they was wanting $2800 and I ended up getting for $2500 and kbb lists it around $4k.

It could possibly use a new clutch because it releases all the way at the top but it's not slipping or anything so I think I'm going to hold off on that for a bit and look and see if the timing belt has been done or not before I do too much driving with it.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For the 5-wire O2 sensor, get it from ebay. You can get them for $75 or so (compared to $300 at Honda). Also, check the exhaust mani for cracks around the O2 sensor.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

buy it.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boostedef8!
buy it.

Originally Posted by Kista20
Well I ended up picking it up this weekend...
Old 10-31-2010, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

from what I've gathered from searching around on here is that the y5 is very picky on that primary o2 sensor. When I pulled the codes off I noticed that it has an L32 ecu which I found another thread on here that someone says that the L series is california spec but this car has been registered in va the whole time so I dunno if the previous owners had ecu problems and could only find a cali spec one to replace it with. The 99 hx ecu honda had a bad batch of them and the replacements are the L33 & K33.

So as long as it's working I'll leave it alone.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boostedef8!
buy it.

Not a bad pickup price wise.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was hoping to get it even cheaper and I know if I could've gotten it off an individual that I could've gotten it for $2k or perhaps even less. It was a decent deal but not great by any means. I plan on putting some pics up in the next day or so.

I've been fairly busy with it this weekend. I installed a pioneer cd player because the one that was installed wouldn't play any cd's. It was a pioneer as well but my keys wouldn't work for it so I had to tear the dash apart to find out the bracket didn't use the sleeve and it was bolted in. It's all good the one I had is a lot better anyways, both plays mp3's but mine has usb so I've ordered a short extension cable that I'm going to run to the glovebox to use with a flash drive.

Also I installed new door speakers with some infinity kappa 6-1/2" componets I had leftover but I still need to install the tweeters and get some 6x9's for the rear. One is blown in the rear and the other doesn't even work so you can imagine how much I've improved on it.