Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Forgot to put spark plugs in and tried to start car....

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forgot to put spark plugs in and tried to start car....

So, I was repainting my valve cover and had the spark plug wires out. So, I went to move the car a few hours later and forot the plug wires were out.

It cranked for maybe 3 seconds before I realized what I'd done.

I went back this evening and properly reassembled everything, went to crank the car and it won't start. It turns over and sounds like it wants to go, but won't "catch". If I crank it long enouh, I being to smell fuel.

I did not unhook the wires from the dizzy, just had them loose from the holes. I pulled the valve cover off and the cam gears look to be correct.

All fuses in both panels are good. Since the car won't start, there is no CEL and no codes. The CEL light comes on, then goes back of as it usually does when the car is operating properly.

Just for input, it is a JDM GSR in a 95 hatch, and it's run perfectly for months.

Any input is appreciated.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like you burned out the igniter.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Max Kling)

Anyway to test that?
Old 04-13-2007, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

trying to start without plugs isnt going to do squat...especially 3 seconds
hell, ive done it for over 10 before for priming.

your wires are probably in the wrong places

although, you do have a lot of extra fuel in each now from the sound of it...that will hinder startup
Old 04-13-2007, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did'nt unhook the wires from the dizzy. I simply had them laying loose in the bay. I got in, tried to start the car, and remembered what I'd done.

Maybe a spark plug wire grounded out?

The wires on the dizzy are nice and tight, and it wants to start, just won't "catch"...
Old 04-13-2007, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

doesnt mean you didnt mix them up...are you sure theyre correct

you can ground plug wires to check for spark..
Speaking of...why dont you check that.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1922346

cranking doesnt mean it wants to start
Old 04-13-2007, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This car has NEVER given me any problems until now. I've been driving this car since the swap was done almost vyday nd now this.

Something leads me to believe maybe the dizzy was damaged? I do not have access to a timing light.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:09 PM

Default Re: (tweeter)

check for spark first by cranking with one plug out and grounded. If spark is present, then try heating the plugs up (propane torch works well) and get them a little hot. This will help if the cylinders are flooded.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

timing light? wtf for?
Test for spark...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
How to check spark.

#1. Get a spark tester (very cheap).

#2. Use a spark plug. Take a spark plug, plug it into the wire. Use a pair of INSULATED pliers (the kind with the rubber handles), and hold the spark plug (steel part, base or threads) against a ground on the engine (steel bracket or something steel). So while holding the rubber part of the pliers, holding the plug, and it's touching metal to metal, have someone turn the vehicle over. Does it spark???

If not, then post NO SPARK, where do I go from here????

If it does, what color is it, Bright Blue = Good spark. Red/Orange/Yellow = not strong spark

note: Honda's have notorious coil problems, sometimes you have spark, but then again it's not strong enough to light the fuel off. Remember that.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-13-2007, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

might of flooded ur motor with fuel but u doubt 3sec would do nething
Old 04-13-2007, 06:16 PM

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">timing light? wtf for?
Test for spark...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly.

What is the problem here? Just listen to this guy, he obviously knows what hes talking about!
Old 04-13-2007, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1995Civic)

Wow, I am shocked by the lack of knowledge. Please if you don't know what your talking about then don't give suggestions.
First of all, verify your plug wires are exactly where they need to be. Pull one of your spark plugs out and leave the rest in and connected. Place it in the spark plug boot and put it near a chassis ground, start the car and watch for spark if no spark, you probably toasted your ignition coil, or rotor button. Pull the distributor housing off and do a visual inspection. There is no need for a timing light in this situation, and there is no way on god's green earth you flooded this thing!!
Old 04-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

golly.....isnt that the exact same thing ive been saying since the start?
good ol honda tech...where no one can read
Old 04-13-2007, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (p00n)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by p00n &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow, I am shocked by the lack of knowledge. Please if you don't know what your talking about then don't give suggestions.
First of all, verify your plug wires are exactly where they need to be. Pull one of your spark plugs out and leave the rest in and connected. Place it in the spark plug boot and put it near a chassis ground, start the car and watch for spark if no spark, you probably toasted your ignition coil, or rotor button. Pull the distributor housing off and do a visual inspection. There is no need for a timing light in this situation, and there is no way on god's green earth you flooded this thing!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Following your directions, I did this on the number one and number two cylinder. I held the plug to the shock tower bolt and I saw NO spark. I actually strectched the spark plug wire/spark plug to the negative battery terminal, and once again, no spark.

So, by doing this and these results, I'm assuming there is something wrong in the distributor/igniter?
Old 04-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tweeter &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Following your directions, I did this on the number one and number two cylinder. I held the plug to the shock tower bolt and I saw NO spark. I actually strectched the spark plug wire/spark plug to the negative battery terminal, and once again, no spark.

So, by doing this and these results, I'm assuming there is something wrong in the distributor/igniter?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Did you have a spark plug in? If your plug wires are good enough, the spark won't just jump out of the sparkplug wire in 99% of the stuff I've worked on(unless it needed new wires). If you had a spark plug in the wire when you were testing it, then I'd say coil, but I have no way of verifing it unless I would have your car infront of me.
later and good luck
Old 04-13-2007, 07:34 PM

Whoops. Nevermind. I just seen your post that you have no spark.

(Removed Reply)
Old 04-13-2007, 07:52 PM

Could you have flooded the combustion chamber?

Thought I would throw that out there.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:38 PM

i did this once on my car. it was the coil. you can check the resistance on the coil.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (sohc-8)

As mentioned in the first response (and the one above mine), you probably burned out the ignitor and/or the coil. A coil first builds up voltage and when the ECU wants a spark, it 'releases' it. Well if you don't have a plug hooked to the wire, the voltage is still wanting to go somewhere. This is why people who do compression tests without disconnecting the distributor seem to make these exact same threads.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EE_Chris)

Looks like I will be ordering a new distributor Monday. Thank you all for your input.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update:

I borrowed a friend's distributor off his B16 hatch. Removed mine, attatched his, and the car fired right up. So, I will be ordering new one on Monday.

Thank you everyone who contributed. Especially pdiggity for repeating things multiple times.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same EXACT thing happened to me. Back then I didn't know much about my car so I had to get it towed. I tried starting by mistake with the wires just there... After I plugged them in, I too thought I flooded my engine which did not happen. My coil went bad. There are times where it ALMOSTTTTT tried to start but wouldnt with the bad coil.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, it really sucks. I have better ways to spend my money. Live and learn....
Old 04-15-2007, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most likely lunched the coil. Having the plug wires disconnected and cranking the engine over is bad for them. Seen it several times with people doing compression tests.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:45 AM

This is coincidental. turning the car over w/o the plug wires on will hurt nothing. how do yout hink you do a compression test?

Either way, since it work with your buddies coil, i'm sure that it. But like i said, coincidental.

Good luck..

Quick Reply: Forgot to put spark plugs in and tried to start car....