Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Fogs not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fogs not working

i jus bought a 92 hatch..the car came with jdm fogs but they dont work...where should i begin troubleshooting? i tried to find an obvious fuse to switch out..but all i saw was the "backup light" one..swapped those and nothing...the guy i bout it from said he never looked into the fogs...is there a common fuse everyone hooks their fogs too? maybe the fog switch? the lights themselves? any help is greatly appreciated..thanks in advance..
Old 01-09-2007, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Fogs not working (aych2h)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aych2h &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i jus bought a 92 hatch..the car came with jdm fogs but they dont work...where should i begin troubleshooting? i tried to find an obvious fuse to switch out..but all i saw was the "backup light" one..swapped those and nothing...the guy i bout it from said he never looked into the fogs...is there a common fuse everyone hooks their fogs too? maybe the fog switch? the lights themselves? any help is greatly appreciated..thanks in advance..</TD></TR></TABLE>

If the fogs were installed aftermarket you probably won't find the fuse in the fusebox..(although you might...). Start by seeing if you can jump the power wire to the battery and seeing if they turn on with a ground to the chassis (overriding any switches). Then see where you are from there.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Fogs not working (Syndacate)

most likely the fuse is along the line of the foglight harness
Old 01-09-2007, 06:25 PM
New User

Default Re: Fogs not working (bpkmrtoes)

remember they only work with the lights on
i had mine wired up for the longest time and was so pissed off they didnt work and then i read somewhere on here that you must have your lights on for your fogs to work

if not it sould be its own seperate harness
take the cover off under the steering wheel and start looking there
Old 01-09-2007, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fogs not working (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If the fogs were installed aftermarket you probably won't find the fuse in the fusebox..(although you might...). Start by seeing if you can jump the power wire to the battery and seeing if they turn on with a ground to the chassis (overriding any switches). Then see where you are from there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

are the fogs jus power and ground? im assuming so...and in that case i can take either or and ground one out and jump one straight to the battery right? dumb question but...how would i jump the wire? if i have no extra wire?
Old 01-09-2007, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fogs not working (williejohnson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by williejohnson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">remember they only work with the lights on
i had mine wired up for the longest time and was so pissed off they didnt work and then i read somewhere on here that you must have your lights on for your fogs to work

if not it sould be its own seperate harness
take the cover off under the steering wheel and start looking there</TD></TR></TABLE>

ill try that..but im sure thats not it..caus the previous owner told me the stopped working...look under the steering whell as in the fuse comp? i already looked....
Old 01-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can anyone else help?? i really wanna get them working
Old 01-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (aych2h)

If it's a Depo (or other aftermarket brand), the fuse should be behind the passenger headlight inline between the battery and the foglight.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlueIntegraBoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If it's a Depo (or other aftermarket brand), the fuse should be behind the passenger headlight inline between the battery and the foglight.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks!..jus realized i have the box for the fogs..duh!!..and i think the install directions are in there..so imma start diggin through that...im so stupid..
Old 01-09-2007, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok..there definetly wasnt any instructions in the box....i jus went out there and i couldnt find the fuse you were talking about...are you talking bout the fuse comp next to the battery? only thing i saw in there wsa the "lamp" fuse..and that looked fine..the filliment still there...i have another set of the same fogs so i was gonna try swapping parts...swapped the switch..didnt work..and i was tryna lok for, what looks like, a 12 volt relay..no idea where that is on the car..if anyone can tell me where the directions say to mount that , that would be nice...anyone know where i can find the install instructions?
Old 01-09-2007, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looking at a black box along the side of the engine bay behind the passenger headlight. thats your relay for the fogs, and nearby should be another black box with wires directly going into it. one from the battery, and another from the relay...that will be the fuse
Old 01-09-2007, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what size fuse does it use?
Old 01-09-2007, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone kno where i can get some install directions?
Old 01-09-2007, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

help someone!!
Old 01-10-2007, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fogs not working (aych2h)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by williejohnson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">remember they only work with the lights on </TD></TR></TABLE>
not true, you just have to put the plugs in different spots, they will also stay on any time the car is running, no matter if the lights or brights are on or not

if you have the real OEM fogs, the fuse will be in between the switch and the interior fuse box, if you have depo fakes, the fuse will be in between the battery and the fogs
Old 01-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they're depo fogs...i finally found the relay..that works caus i can hear it clicking over...can someone tell me EXACTLY where the fuse is supposed to be? is it supposed to come with the kit? and if so..where do the directions say to install it?
Old 01-10-2007, 12:41 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aych2h &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they're depo fogs...i finally found the relay..that works caus i can hear it clicking over...can someone tell me EXACTLY where the fuse is supposed to be? is it supposed to come with the kit? and if so..where do the directions say to install it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Depo Instructions

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1352749
Old 01-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (I Shot 50 Cent)

thanks...hopefully thatll help me out..whoever installed them didnt install them like that....
Old 01-10-2007, 01:15 PM

check fuse and ground and wiring
Old 01-10-2007, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i finally got a meter and some wire.....shot the connector at the foglight (car side) and got no power...shot for ground and..both posts got ground?? im guessing the power wire is shorted somewhere to the grounding wire...if a fuse was blown then i would be reading open when i shot it right? &lt;~~~ can someone verify that? an i jumped the light directly to the battery and a ground and it worked fine..so obviously thats not it...and when i shot the connecter i had the fog light button pushed it..would that for some reason caus both posts to read ground? i dont think so but i dont have a wiring diagram for the switch..but im guessing its open until you bush the button and then it gives the system a ground...anyways..if anyone can give their input...greatly appreciated...ill prolly end rewiring the whole thing though..exactly what i didnt wanna do..
Old 01-10-2007, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh..and where is this fuse everyone keeps talking about? i cant seem to find it..is it a fuse like the ones for radio,lights,radio etc?
Old 01-10-2007, 04:38 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aych2h &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh..and where is this fuse everyone keeps talking about? i cant seem to find it..is it a fuse like the ones for radio,lights,radio etc?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The fuse..if installed correctly...should be inline with the power wire from the relay to the battery. If no relay was used...follow the power wire all the way to the fog light housing, there SHOULD be a fuse on that line somewhere if the installer was competant. For instance, did you ever see those amplifier installation kits for low wattage amps? They'll come with that red power wire that has that little black fuse case a foot into the power line? You should be looking for something like that.

Its also very common with the cheaper kits to have the relays go bad. Since you said you already have another kit that you've been swapping parts from. Swap the relay and hopefully that solves your problem. If the installer didn't have a relay, I'd say your best bet is to scrap everything that he's done...follow the instructions I've linked you above...and do it yourself. How's that expression go..."If you want something done right, do it yourself!".

Good luck man! I HATE troubleshooting electrical work.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks everyone for there help..i finally found the fuse..and holy ****...it was blown..lol..i wasted a couple hours troubleshooting this crap...it was under my dash tucked next to the fuse box inside the car...seems like whoever installed it kinda jus did it there own way..hopefully the fuse dont blow again..then ill really kno its a short somewhere..
Old 01-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (I Shot 50 Cent)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I Shot 50 Cent &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Good luck man! I HATE troubleshooting electrical work. </TD></TR></TABLE>

ditto...and yet i do it everyday at work..lol
Old 01-10-2007, 05:03 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aych2h &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks everyone for there help..i finally found the fuse..and holy ****...it was blown..lol..i wasted a couple hours troubleshooting this crap...it was under my dash tucked next to the fuse box inside the car...seems like whoever installed it kinda jus did it there own way..hopefully the fuse dont blow again..then ill really kno its a short somewhere..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Awesome! Very good to hear. When you replace the fuse...be sure to let us know if everything is working properly. Also, since you said you do electrical stuff @ work I'm sure you already know this...but make sure you replace the fuse with the same amperage rating as the one you removed.

Other than that...hopefully you're in good shape! Glad H-T could be of help. Also..if the fuse you're replacing is the one inline w/ the power wire, under the dash is a very awkward location for it. If it IS the one I'm thinking of, the closer to the battery the fuse is located, the better. But thats just "technical" ****...you should be fine, although I can't help but wonder why the fuse blew in the first place.

Quick Reply: Fogs not working