Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Foglight install.. Where Does this go?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 04:09 AM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Foglight install.. Where Does this go?

I plugged the harness that has two clips on it.. Into the harness that has 3 clips on it.. Meaning theres one left hanging.. Then i plugged it into the 2nd to the top right part of the fuse panel where it belongs and it worked for like 5 minutes.. Then i blew the instrument panel fuse.. Replaced fuse.. turn the key on.. hit the foglight switch and blew the fuse again.. Obviously it's in the wrong place, but i have no idea where it goes due to no instructions.. Any help is appriciated
Old 11-03-2006, 04:15 AM
Global Moderator

Bump
Old 11-03-2006, 10:11 AM
Global Moderator

bump!
Old 11-03-2006, 12:13 PM
Global Moderator

anyone know?
Old 11-03-2006, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Jimmy)

well i don't know about those plugs but I did have the same exact problem where my fuse would blow every time when i turn it on. I found out that my foglight and foglight bracket itself touched the chassis of the car and that caused the fuse to pop. I covered it up with electrical tape and now it's fine, check to see if yours is touching the chassis?
Old 11-03-2006, 08:35 PM
Global Moderator

Default Re: (byronl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by byronl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i don't know about those plugs but I did have the same exact problem where my fuse would blow every time when i turn it on. I found out that my foglight and foglight bracket itself touched the chassis of the car and that caused the fuse to pop. I covered it up with electrical tape and now it's fine, check to see if yours is touching the chassis? </TD></TR></TABLE>

How would that cause it to pop though, There's one harness that clips in on the foglights and it grounds it out and pops the fuse?
Old 11-03-2006, 10:18 PM

try above all the fuses in the fuse box under the dash there should be a couple of empty spaces. you have to try the plug in each space one at a time until the lights light up. that is what I did with mine, and they work perfectly, no problems at all after more than a year.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:33 PM

Default Re: (98akcivic)

me too but i kept blowing the climate control fuse so i just plugged it in somewhere else and now its fine
i also have a question though i have a 96 civic and i just plugged in the two connectors both into the plugs on top of the fuse box is that right or does only one go there
and another one somwhere else
i have a red and a white wire
Old 11-03-2006, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (98akcivic)

Judging from the picture, you have an Esuse harness. That is definitely NOT a Depo harness.

I'll try to be simple as possible.

From that pic, the top caption is pointing to two male connectors. One male connecter is a white wire, the other is a red wire.

From the 2nd caption, the one you have pictured has 3 female plug ends, with all 3 wires leading to 1 male end. Henceforth, I will refer it to 3f/1m.

The one not pictured most likely has 2 female ends and 1 male end. I will call this 2f/1m.

Take the red wired male connector and plug it into any one of the 3 female connectors on 3f/1m. Then take that male end of 3f/1m and plug it into the #2 slot in the under dash fuse box.

Take the white wired male connector and plug it into any one of the 2 femal connectors on 2f/1m. Then take the male plug of 2f/1m and plug it into the #5 slot of the fuse box.

Good luck.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:10 AM
Global Moderator

Default Re: (White95SiHB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White95SiHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Judging from the picture, you have an Esuse harness. That is definitely NOT a Depo harness.

I'll try to be simple as possible.

From that pic, the top caption is pointing to two male connectors. One male connecter is a white wire, the other is a red wire.

From the 2nd caption, the one you have pictured has 3 female plug ends, with all 3 wires leading to 1 male end. Henceforth, I will refer it to 3f/1m.

The one not pictured most likely has 2 female ends and 1 male end. I will call this 2f/1m.

Take the red wired male connector and plug it into any one of the 3 female connectors on 3f/1m. Then take that male end of 3f/1m and plug it into the #2 slot in the under dash fuse box.

Take the white wired male connector and plug it into any one of the 2 femal connectors on 2f/1m. Then take the male plug of 2f/1m and plug it into the #5 slot of the fuse box.

Good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Okay.. One problem both wires on the two male connectors are RED. I went ahead and tried them anyways in the #2 and the #5 slot and i reversed them.. The foglight switch comes on and says they're lit up, but no foglights.. Even with the key in, car started headlights on,etc.

Thanks man
Old 11-04-2006, 11:16 AM
Global Moderator

Could this be because the brackets on the foglights are touching the chassis?
Old 11-04-2006, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jimmy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Could this be because the brackets on the foglights are touching the chassis?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's a possibility. On my hatchback, my first set of foglights were Esuse. It kept blowing the fuse so I put electrical tape on the chassis. Bout a couple of years later part of the tape eventually came off. I made the mistake of putting in a cheap fuse in the fuse holder to replace the blown fuse. So when the tape came off, the fuse didn't blow properly, so there was still a current going through. I noticed there was a burning smell, so I turned off the foglights, check the harness, and pulled my hand back since it was smoldering hot.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by byronl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i don't know about those plugs but I did have the same exact problem where my fuse would blow every time when i turn it on. I found out that my foglight and foglight bracket itself touched the chassis of the car and that caused the fuse to pop. I covered it up with electrical tape and now it's fine, check to see if yours is touching the chassis? </TD></TR></TABLE>

hollly **** haha i had that same problem but i just hooked it up so that they came on whenever the key is on and put in a bigger fuse hahah
Old 11-04-2006, 01:06 PM
Global Moderator

So i don't understand.. Both of the male connectors have RED wires instead of a red and white..

In the esuse wiring harness is the white one power or what? Although i know they go in the #2 and the #5 slot and the foglight switch works and comes on but theres no foglights.. If they're ''touching'' wouldn't the foglights come on and blow a fuse..

I'd like to narrow the problem down before i pull that damn front bumper off again.. it's cold
Old 11-04-2006, 02:26 PM
Global Moderator

Alright, i put the connectors in the #4 and #5 spot in the fuse panel and the foglights work, however i believe that the brackets were touching because if push in on the bumper they would quit working..

pulled the bumper off and put electrical tape on the brackets and it's good..

Any reason why the foglights wouldn't turn on in the #2 and #5 spot.. Should it be okay in the #4 and #5? I don't want the **** to shortout and burn up..

Old 11-04-2006, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jimmy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alright, i put the connectors in the #4 and #5 spot in the fuse panel and the foglights work, however i believe that the brackets were touching because if push in on the bumper they would quit working..

pulled the bumper off and put electrical tape on the brackets and it's good..

Any reason why the foglights wouldn't turn on in the #2 and #5 spot.. Should it be okay in the #4 and #5? I don't want the **** to shortout and burn up..

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not sure why, I just did #2 and #5 cuz that's how my friend did his. I never bothered to think beyond that reasoning.

I'm guessing you should be fine with #4 and #5. I installed some universal foglights on my coupe last year, and I just tapped into one of the available slots (forgot which). So I'm guessing all those slots are there to provide power to any future electrical add-ons.

I have an Esuse set that I plan to put on my coupe this weekend, so I'll let you know how the install goes.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:24 AM
Global Moderator

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White95SiHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not sure why, I just did #2 and #5 cuz that's how my friend did his. I never bothered to think beyond that reasoning.

I'm guessing you should be fine with #4 and #5. I installed some universal foglights on my coupe last year, and I just tapped into one of the available slots (forgot which). So I'm guessing all those slots are there to provide power to any future electrical add-ons.

I have an Esuse set that I plan to put on my coupe this weekend, so I'll let you know how the install goes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bad news, i was driving with the foglights on earlier and i smelt a burning smell and cut them off.. No idea wtf is going on..
Old 11-05-2006, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the fuse in the foglight harness and check the harness itself.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Global Moderator

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White95SiHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check the fuse in the foglight harness and check the harness itself.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Will do, the foglights were still working they just seemed really really hot.. when i touched the harness the plastic wire loom was almost melted wth could that be?
Old 11-06-2006, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what is ur fuse rating? did you put a bigger rating fuse in than what it originaly was?
Old 11-06-2006, 12:51 PM
Global Moderator

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by byronl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what is ur fuse rating? did you put a bigger rating fuse in than what it originaly was?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Would that even matter? It's not blowing fuses, but no i didn't put in a bigger fuse.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jimmy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Would that even matter? It's not blowing fuses, but no i didn't put in a bigger fuse.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

check the fuse to make sure it blew out properly. Mine didn't, and my harness melted. The harness shouldn't even be hot to the touch at all.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:01 PM
Global Moderator

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White95SiHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check the fuse to make sure it blew out properly. Mine didn't, and my harness melted. The harness shouldn't even be hot to the touch at all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Whadda you mean blew out properly? The foglights turn on and work, but it smelt like something was melting.. Turn the foglights off and checked where the harness is plugges into the fuse panel in the #4 and #5 spot and the plastic on the harness is hot as HELL.. Is the because of this shitty *** ESUSE harness.. what should i check?
Old 11-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do u have a multimeter available to u? check how much voltage is running through ur wires.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jimmy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Whadda you mean blew out properly? The foglights turn on and work, but it smelt like something was melting.. Turn the foglights off and checked where the harness is plugges into the fuse panel in the #4 and #5 spot and the plastic on the harness is hot as HELL.. Is the because of this shitty *** ESUSE harness.. what should i check?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry for my wrong choice of words. Instead of saying the "fuse didn't blow properly" I should've said that the fuse didn't blow at all. But yeah, check the fuse holder in the harness. It uses a 15A blade fuse. Check to see if the fuse melted. If it did, then it didn't blow at all, which is why the harness is hot to the touch. I believe the fuse holder is under the dash. My Esuse set is at my parent's place, so I'll have to stop by there tomorrow to take a look at it.

Quick Reply: Foglight install.. Where Does this go?