Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

fog light trick gone bad.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fog light trick gone bad.

Have a 99 civ si and about 4 years ago i did the fog light trick that enables you to turn your fog lights on with only your marker lights. Well about a year ago I noticed a burning smell and saw that there was smoke coming from under the steering column well apparently one of the connectors caught fire.

I went ahead and reversed the wiring to the original state did this about 5 months ago, but just yesterday I took an hour long drive and noticed it smelled like it was burning again the connector was hot to the touch.

One of the wires was a bit frayed from the original fire but i was able to reuse it, i'm wondering if this is the cause of my problem again. I'm not sure what it could be. Any help would be appreciated. I really do not know much about electrical work in a vehicle.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: fog light trick gone bad. (sidoe)

is it the wiring attached to the steering column? if so, I would replace that entire section. plus, recheck your fix. did you secure the grounds correctly?

I feel your pain though, I'm not an electrician either.

I had a mustang that was melting a fuse out of the box. the big problem was that everything worked fine except for the fuse melting issue. I started tracing the line to everything it was connected to. I ended up replacing the aftermarket radiator fan, which was still working, but was real hot when it was, and the problem finally went away.

you might need to check your fuse boxes and look for other "hot spots".