Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Fitting rear sway bar and lower tie bar?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 06:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting rear sway bar and lower tie bar?

Currently I've got a 19mm ST rear bar on my '93 Si and am upgrading to a 24mm Progress bar soon, and in addition, I'd like to get a lower tie bar. However, it looks like the mounts for the sway bar get in the way of the lower tie bar and I see a lot of kits out there that sell them as a package and I'm assuming that is the reason. Anybody else out there either have had problems with mounting a combination of the 2 or perhaps you know of a tie bar that mounts well with another sway bar. If I have to I can just machine a custom mount but I don't want to do all that if I don't have to. Thanks for the help,

Sean
Old 03-16-2006, 08:16 AM
I forgot more about hondas then you will ever know....

Location: hop,skip, and a jump from the city,, new friggin york, USA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Fitting rear sway bar and lower tie bar? (SCCAsean)

i see you are an scca guy. what class do you run? for the most part, i suggest leaving the bar alone, as upping the front bar will increase understeer.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:56 AM

Default Re: Fitting rear sway bar and lower tie bar? (Rodney)

I'm running STS. I'm sorry I guess that wasn't clear, I'm upgrading the rear bar to a 24mm adjustable. There was a cheap brand lower tie bar that came with my car that I never put on (but similar in design to all of the rest, DC Sports...) The problem is that the bracket for the tie bar won't go on with the sway bar mounted. Companies like ST, Comptech, Hotchkis, make a rear sway bar + lower tie bar combo which combines the mounting into one bracket, obviously to avoid the problem I am seeing. I was just wondering if there was another type of tie bar that mounts better to avoid the need for a special combo bracket. I might have to do some machine work to make a good bracket or just get one of those combo kits.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:31 AM

i'd skip the tie bar. no need for it.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:48 AM

Well, I've read that when going with such a large rear sway bar it 's good to have a tie bar on it. But I did find that the Tanabe bar mounts differently and looks stronger.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:29 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SCCAsean &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, I've read that when going with such a large rear sway bar it 's good to have a tie bar on it. But I did find that the Tanabe bar mounts differently and looks stronger.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well, depends on your spring rates. if you mount the rear bar correctly, you will be fine. i ran 550# springs in the rear and a 26mm rear bar since 1999, and i had ZERO subframe issues. recently i upped to a 32mm rear bar and 1000# rates, and i inspected the chassis, with no wear whatsoever.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:55 PM

*edit* since youre running in sts, http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/162172.aspx
it looks like products such as the comptech that function as both a tie bar/mounting plate are out. I dont know of any tie bars that will work with relocated swaybar mounts, the progress moved the mounting point down slightly so it mounts over the lca bolt or am i remembering a different kit?
Old 03-22-2006, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Fitting rear sway bar and lower tie bar? (Voyage34)

yeah, that's the bar. I put it on before the Test N Tune this weekend and it was awesome. So much better than the 19mm ST bar. I think I am going to get the tanabe lower barce bar (for 92-95 civics it is a 2 point bar). It mounts to the LCA on both sides of the bolt. So it looks like:

Sean
Old 03-23-2006, 12:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

. you might want to research subframe tearout with a bar that big. also, like stated above, if you autocross, the best two setups(imo) that prevent this are outlawed for sts from what i read.
also like to say that james from tanabe is a d!ckhead. i would never buy from them again. they screwed me on the front and rear tie bar. the rear i got looked just like that. the "powdercoat" looked like crappy latex paint put on by 1st grader. they slap a crooked piece of tape over the sustec badge instead of putting it on after coating. i believe this is because they are made by two different taiwanese company's. the rear tie on one end-the piece on the end that sandwiches the subframe around lca- was severely crooked. very poor quality. he said it was" not a warranty issue so you cannot return it or exchange it." it is sad because all of their cars(tanabe/signal auto) look fat as hell. my experience. sorry to threadjack and rant.