Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

first post. tech with d16y8 issues...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 03:36 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first post. tech with d16y8 issues...

hello to the forum. i have been lurking/learning here before , but i joined because for the first time since in 10 years , ill bee buying another honda. i guess a bit of info is in order...

i work at a used lot. guy has a preference for pontiacs , but had one or two imports/euro's on the lot. the 00' civic im looking at is an ex iirc , and has the y8. from the looks of it , there is header , msd super cap , msd box (going to supercap) , msd super con wires , no name warm air intake , no name cone flow blocker... magnaflow fart can , but im not sure about anything under it yet.

i already had to get some fuel rail nuts , cause there was only one on the rail. the hardline that mounts to the rail to the fpr is not bolted down , and to boot , there was no o-ring behind the fpr so once i got it running , i still had to order the o-ring... then i see it down on the motor mount. its like some special kid was allowed to play with this thing. anyways , i like it , and the wife ok'd the purchase , so i finally got that all fixed today , and i start it up and pull it to the garage to check the CEL , and i notice some steam on the right side (when i was sitting in it)...

so long story short , its pissing coolant from the passenger side of the motor. basically , i think its the iacv , but i was just trying to see where it was coming form , not the parts associated with the area. anyways , it looks like the intake to head isnt sealed perhaps , but i dont know if the d16y8 has coolant passing through the intake. its like where the thermostat connects to the engine , just a bit above there. i thought it was the headgasket , but it doesnt look like it , it looks like its dripping off the intake area ...

thanks , and look forward to being able to post...
-hov
Old 06-30-2011, 03:56 PM
Trial User

Default Re: first post. tech with d16y8 issues...

heres a picture i found of the area. its not my pic , i just added the red lines. the long line is where i see the fluid moving. its on the underside of this. the two short arrows are where the drips come off(below). its a pretty steady stream , and based on the previous problems , its probably a missing gasket or bolt that was just decided wasnt needed...

thanks in advance...
-hov
Old 07-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Trial User

update : pulled the offending oil part off (shown in the pic) , pressurized the coolant with about 10 psi shop air , and had air whisting out. thought it was coming out of the oil thing , but turns out its the intake mani , shooting the fluid up at the oil part.

thanks for all the help , good thing im not buyin this after all...
Old 07-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The red lines, looks like the vtec solinoid, but that will leak oil. As for the coolant is wasn't the thermo switch connected to the thermo housing was it?
Old 07-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Trial User

when i took the vtec solenoid off (some reason i was thinking that was the thermo housing , it was a long *** day , and i know dick about vtec...

anyways , i pessurized the system and it was spraying out the intake manifold , right at the side where the hose goes in , and the vtec sol is right next to it. it is spraying upwards , all over the bottom of the vtec , thats why i thought that was what was leaking.

the guy i work for , has the miles for this car listed at 36,000mi almost two years ago , now the odom says 58k. the tranny is super stiff (not sure if its been messed with ) , has just a couple few cosmetic issues , and even though i work for him , i would still be paying $5300 or so just for the car , and then after two years of 300$/mo paymenyts , i would have somewhere around 7300 into it.

its only a 2000 , with 58k... i didnt become a mechanic so i never had to hear the words "its priced below blue book" ever again. nothing against honda's , i had an 87 accord that i ABSOLUTELY loved , and was really looking forward to the sheer magnitude of parts/etc i can get around here dirt cheap.

just going to keep my eyes open for an mk1 or mk4 vw golf. i totaled my mk4 almost a year ago , and i miss that car... paid 3100 for a 99.5 vw , so thats why i have issues with $7k for a honda (again not bashing , but i can get a bone stock civic that i know hasnt been dicked with by some 14 year old moron who doesnt understand the concept that gaskets and bolts are there for a reason...

gonna stay on , cause we get a fair amount of honda's thru the dealer and theres not always easy to figure out stuff on these...

-hov