Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

First Honda project...DD EJ8

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 06:12 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Honda project...DD EJ8

This is the first Honda I've ever owned...and it was a hell of an adventure finding a close to stock sixth gen anywhere close to me that wasn't a 4 door.

I did about a month or more of looking and had finally settled on a milano red 99 ex...cost...5200...a little pricey but it was *from the pictures* in amazing condition...had 16" rims of some sort, and aftermarket cd player...aside from that it appeared to have been completely stock. Drove about an hour to find out there was massive clearcoat issues...interior was in amazing condition though. I planned on repainting soon so it was no big deal. Hopped in for a test drive...HORRIBLE knock...and everytime I rolled up to a stop-light...put it in neutral...it would die. **** that!

Looked a little longer to find a 2000 ex...black...with about 100k miles on it...I can't remember exactly but I think it ended up being 4800 after tax tag and title. Bone stock except for an alpine cd player and a signal cable going to the trunk.

As you can see in this next picture...there was a wonderful dent right in the crease of the rear driver's quarter panel. That's gonna be fun...

Clean interior...

Little bit of curb love on the front bumper...

Old 08-28-2010, 06:19 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: My first build...EJ8!

This is hours worth of bondo work using lots of tape and a thick dowel wrapped in 320 grit to re-create the crease that had disappeared in that dent. I'm happy with the results...

A little bit more dent repair along with the first piece of moulding I shaved.

Moulding shave complete...

This is what happens when you don't have anywhere available to do your own paint job...

It's a pop up gazebo type thing used for beaches...merch booths...whatever...
Old 08-28-2010, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you spent $5,000 on that!, and then repainted it anyway.. that doesn't make much sense to me but ok. and definitely imo shaving the molding was a bad idea. car just doesn't look right without that seperation.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:36 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by D16SiHatch
you spent $5,000 on that!, and then repainted it anyway.. that doesn't make much sense to me but ok. and definitely imo shaving the molding was a bad idea. car just doesn't look right without that seperation.
It started out 4500 or so tax tag and title transfer are expensive as hell now in FL...

I've had the car for almost a year and it's been extremely reliable...and 4500 for a civic that has low mileage...and hasn't been butchered by some kid with painted dash parts/cut up climate control/indiglo gauges/rusting drilled out wing holes in the trunk for some nasty looking APC ****...isn't bad for the area that I'm in...it's not bad at all...I did my share of shopping and I still look and they still average anywhere from 4500 to 5500. I wanted bone stock...

The side moulding shave ended up looking really good...I'll post pictures up soon with the paint finished...it looks really clean and I've gotten alot of compliments on it...but it is you're opinion and you're entitled to that.

Thanks for your input, as negative as it may have been.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:42 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Did the door inserts and center console with red tweed...

Got a set of SI wheels...I wanted to polish them but there was some damages that prevented that...and I got a good deal so I decided to fix the pits and stuff, primed and painted them black.

Just had them installed and wrapped in Khumos...I'll post pics as soon as it stops raining here
Old 08-28-2010, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand you spending the money. Sure, you could have gotten something cheaper, maybe with some mods, but there is sometimes an extra cost you pay after the sale.

He has a clean slate to start from that hasn't already been tore into and possibly had shoddy work done to it. Nothing like finding crappy wiring and unmentioned (badly done/installed) mods after you own the car.

So to each his own.

Nice job on the moldings. I personally think that most people don't like the sans-moldings look because they are so used to seeing something there. Overall I believe it's a cleaner look, but I fully understand if someone doesn't care for it. I still am kind of on the edge over it depending on the car.

Good luck though! Diggin' the merch tent!
Old 08-28-2010, 09:00 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Bwill9886
I understand you spending the money. Sure, you could have gotten something cheaper, maybe with some mods, but there is sometimes an extra cost you pay after the sale.

He has a clean slate to start from that hasn't already been tore into and possibly had shoddy work done to it. Nothing like finding crappy wiring and unmentioned (badly done/installed) mods after you own the car.
EXACTLY! I don't know how many people I called...and had responses like "Well you can come check it out as soon as I get it running" or..."Yeah it's in great shape except you'll have to replace the...or tinker with the..."...didn't want to deal with that.

I didn't want to get into the dash and see hacked up harnesses from crapped out stereo installation and whatnot either.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TwoFacedCustoms
EXACTLY! I don't know how many people I called...and had responses like "Well you can come check it out as soon as I get it running" or..."Yeah it's in great shape except you'll have to replace the...or tinker with the..."...didn't want to deal with that.

I didn't want to get into the dash and see hacked up harnesses from crapped out stereo installation and whatnot either.
Yep, been down that road and as you know it gets old.

After a while you just become willing to pay a bit more if you can guarantee that it's unmolested.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey can you post final pics of it all finished. I was thinking of putting si rims on mine but idk how they would look. Thnx
Old 08-28-2010, 10:11 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by 1996CivicEXEJ8
Hey can you post final pics of it all finished. I was thinking of putting si rims on mine but idk how they would look. Thnx
For sure man...the weather has been nasty here so when the sun manages to come out for a minute ill snap some new pics
Old 09-15-2010, 03:50 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Made my own shiftboot out of the same tweed I used on my doors, just black...the red stitching looks a little uneven in the pictures because of how stiff the fabric was but it's been installed a little bit now and they've all even out.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:51 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Installed ctr replica grill too
Old 09-17-2010, 07:34 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

New Recaro seat for my son.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It started out 4500 or so tax tag and title transfer are expensive as hell now in FL...

I've had the car for almost a year and it's been extremely reliable...and 4500 for a civic that has low mileage...and hasn't been butchered by some kid with painted dash parts/cut up climate control/indiglo gauges/rusting drilled out wing holes in the trunk for some nasty looking APC ****...isn't bad for the area that I'm in...it's not bad at all...I did my share of shopping and I still look and they still average anywhere from 4500 to 5500. I wanted bone stock...

The side moulding shave ended up looking really good...I'll post pictures up soon with the paint finished...it looks really clean and I've gotten alot of compliments on it...but it is you're opinion and you're entitled to that.

Thanks for your input, as negative as it may have been.
you should have looked in other areas. Civics like that aren't even that expensive here in Miami. And cars here are expensive. Orlando has the biggest selection for cheap.
The shaved molding never looks right lol.
I also kind of find it funny how you went through all the trouble to find a civic that wasn't raped by retarded crap, and then you go and do all that same retarded crap to the one you find. Shaving the moldings, changing the interior fabrics to red, painting Si's black which is ugly as fk, CTR replica grill, and making a dumb fabric shift boot.

You could have gotten a dumb setup like that for like 2k here in miami. If you are getting compliments on it then the people in your area are all ricers. Also not sure how this is a build thread, since there are no "build" parts here. Changing a cars aesthetics (especially to something bad) is not considered building by any standard.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:51 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

New Recaro seat for my son.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:01 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Jimster480
you should have looked in other areas. Civics like that aren't even that expensive here in Miami. And cars here are expensive. Orlando has the biggest selection for cheap.
The shaved molding never looks right lol.
I also kind of find it funny how you went through all the trouble to find a civic that wasn't raped by retarded crap, and then you go and do all that same retarded crap to the one you find. Shaving the moldings, changing the interior fabrics to red, painting Si's black which is ugly as fk, CTR replica grill, and making a dumb fabric shift boot.

You could have gotten a dumb setup like that for like 2k here in miami. If you are getting compliments on it then the people in your area are all ricers. Also not sure how this is a build thread, since there are no "build" parts here. Changing a cars aesthetics (especially to something bad) is not considered building by any standard.
I hope you feel good about yourself...you're very mature.

As far as the build...I've put an intake on so far...I decided to work on the looks of it first...I don't have alot of extra money right now to throw into the engine...so it wasn't my first priority...it will come soon enough...

I've spent maybe 500 on it so far...I've had alot of fun...and it's turning out the way IIIIII like so far and it's safe and reliable for my family.

My interior fabric was starting to come off of the armrests and wear through on parts...so I replaced it with red...it's my favorite color. What would you suggest? Me going out to buy JDM panels for a couple hundred bucks so I can be as cool as you?

The dumb cloth shift boot? It cost me NOTHING. Mine had little holes in the vinyl that bothered me...and I've never sewn a boot for a civic...so I did it...it came out good...

SI's had alot of imperfections or I would have just polished them.

I didn't go to Miami or Orlando because I was returning from a deployment...my son was really young and I didn't want to drag him on a trip to see people I don't trust in an area I don't know....after the money it would've taken to drive all the way down there/get a hotel/food/gas/my lancer would've probably broken down hint the reason I got a new car in the first place...not to mention I may go check out a whole list of cars and none of them would be worth it and I would be **** out on all that money with nothing to show. This car was 15 minutes from my house.

Stop hating on me just cause you don't like what I've done to MY car. Did I fiberglass my whole interior and put zebra skin on my seats? Replace every interior part with carbon fiber look 3M? Did I chop up my door panels to throw 2 LCDs in each of them? No..

So don't be immature and try to argue back and forth with me on a thread I built because there hasn't been enough people for you to hate on.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I hope you feel good about yourself...you're very mature.

As far as the build...I've put an intake on so far...I decided to work on the looks of it first...I don't have alot of extra money right now to throw into the engine...so it wasn't my first priority...it will come soon enough...

I've spent maybe 500 on it so far...I've had alot of fun...and it's turning out the way IIIIII like so far and it's safe and reliable for my family.

My interior fabric was starting to come off of the armrests and wear through on parts...so I replaced it with red...it's my favorite color. What would you suggest? Me going out to buy JDM panels for a couple hundred bucks so I can be as cool as you?

The dumb cloth shift boot? It cost me NOTHING. Mine had little holes in the vinyl that bothered me...and I've never sewn a boot for a civic...so I did it...it came out good...

SI's had alot of imperfections or I would have just polished them.

I didn't go to Miami or Orlando because I was returning from a deployment...my son was really young and I didn't want to drag him on a trip to see people I don't trust in an area I don't know....after the money it would've taken to drive all the way down there/get a hotel/food/gas/my lancer would've probably broken down hint the reason I got a new car in the first place...not to mention I may go check out a whole list of cars and none of them would be worth it and I would be **** out on all that money with nothing to show. This car was 15 minutes from my house.

Stop hating on me just cause you don't like what I've done to MY car. Did I fiberglass my whole interior and put zebra skin on my seats? Replace every interior part with carbon fiber look 3M? Did I chop up my door panels to throw 2 LCDs in each of them? No..

So don't be immature and try to argue back and forth with me on a thread I built because there hasn't been enough people for you to hate on.
I dont have JDM anything. That JDM bullshit is mad wack. And yes I am very mature. did you see me use any slang or act stupid in my post? No. I was stating that you went through alot of trouble to get a perfect car, and then basically desecrated it yourself.
You spent basically an extra 3 Grand + paint. Justify it all you want, it wont change anything.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ dude cut him a break...atleast he's doing all the work himself. Which is props..unlike many other guys having to pay for labor and all this and that.

I respect anyone who is willing to work on their car and bleed and sweat doing it. Thats what being an enthusiast is all about. Its his cash. He can spend it how ever he likes. And yes there are killer deals out there as far as pricing...but not all are able to find it. i got my clean *** 1 owner (lady) stock *** ej1 for 700. I consider that a F'en steal here in cali. Kind of felt sorry for the chick but she was leaving town.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey cars looking good and keep it up
Old 09-17-2010, 10:16 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I don't have to justify anything to anybody...it's my car...not yours.

Maturity would have been something like I don't understand why you would spend that much if you had the plans you did...

Supply some helpful advice...I personally don't know much about the Miami or Orlando scene...just be like yeah stock 6th gens are way cheaper down here if you're ever looking again...

Getting compliments on shaved molding has nothing to do with the whole scene where I'm located...generalizing the whole scene in the panhandle because people don't hate on my car constantly.

Just try to be more helpful to people...you notice it says FIRST in the thread title.

I didn't get a civic...paint it a pastel color...put a huge wing on it...paint all the dash parts...throw neons and leds in every place remotely possible.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pics since its been painted?
Old 09-17-2010, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't have to justify anything to anybody...it's my car...not yours.

Maturity would have been something like I don't understand why you would spend that much if you had the plans you did...

Supply some helpful advice...I personally don't know much about the Miami or Orlando scene...just be like yeah stock 6th gens are way cheaper down here if you're ever looking again...

Getting compliments on shaved molding has nothing to do with the whole scene where I'm located...generalizing the whole scene in the panhandle because people don't hate on my car constantly.

Just try to be more helpful to people...you notice it says FIRST in the thread title.

I didn't get a civic...paint it a pastel color...put a huge wing on it...paint all the dash parts...throw neons and leds in every place remotely possible.

By the way if you mind me asking where did you buy the red tweed. Ive been dying to try this but have no leads.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:50 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

@mortificationrock....I know this sounds ****in rediculous...but the website is called

http://ball2ufall.com/

lol...it was the only place I could find tweed that was UV fade resistant in red. The quanity you get is HUGE. I got a yard of red and a yard of black...the black to recover my sunshade because the top is all messed up and looks really sketchy.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:06 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

First off...thank you everyone who has provided positive support for my project...I'm new to the honda world...and wanted to build something comfortable for me and my son...make it look the way I want...and soon I will put a little bit more under the hood.

I've been decently busy recently...and this is all kind of out of order because I didn't post this stuff until way later....

Got the painted SI's on...wrapped in Khumos

Painted and installed a Mugen Replica lip...

New headlights with HID conversion and eyelids (creates a clean cutoff without having to retrofit projectors)

A local got drunk and wrecked his 4 door 2000 Integra...so he sold me the seats for 100 bucks...*very recent*

Almost done with the CarPC install...everything is functioning...I just have to install a panel mount usb...got a better quality video wire...wrap the wiring in braided shielding...and I'm going to run it under the carpet and have it come up under the seat *computer is already under the seat the wires just go under the seat rail and then into the bottom of the center console...you can only see about an inch of the wires as of now but it bothers me*

Here's some pics of what it looks like right now...

The new lights and eyelids...and that's the only decal on my car.

This is how the interior sits now...scored an SI cluster for 120 from a guy whose daughter wrapped her SI around a tree...and eventually I'd like a new steering wheel...something OEM...I don't feel like losing my airbag in the area I'm in with the shitty drivers I pass everyday to work.

The exterior is pretty much done for now...I didn't like the grillecraft lower grilles so I made my own out of powdercoated grill mesh...I haven't painted the center caps for the rims yet but I will soon...and I'm probably putting red H logos in the center caps *if you don't like it shove off*
Old 09-17-2010, 05:13 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

OH....and I tinted the front windows myself....

That's what the shift boot I made looks like installed....

...and the thing in the corner of the SI cluster is a wooden dinosaur my son fingerpainted when he was about 1 and 1/2

Quick Reply: First Honda project...DD EJ8