Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

finished h22 into cx, now having a rubberband effect?!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default finished h22 into cx, now having a rubberband effect?!!

its a h22a4 usdm into a 92 cx. i have lsd on it and skunk coilovers/w tokico adj. when i turn, its a lot heavier than before, i had a b18 before also, and it was fine. well the heavy turning isnt too much of the problem, its just when i turn, the steering wheel wants to just really pull back straight, really hard. is this normal? while im turning, my inside wheel will chirp. i guess thats the lsd. also how are the vac. lines supposed to be hooked up? which ones plugged and which goes somewhere? its pretty crazy to drive though, just trying to see if thats normal. in a straight line its killer though! thanks
Old 05-09-2003, 05:20 AM

Default Re: finished h22 into cx, now having a rubberband effect?!! (boostindoo)

Get a rear sway bar and you will be fine.. ITR/beaks kit is good but you can use anything else. As for your vacumn lines get a helms or post a pic of your setup.
Old 05-09-2003, 05:27 AM
overrated.

Default Re: finished h22 into cx, now having a rubberband effect?!! (boostindoo)

it's called having an h22 in a hatch, welcome to hell!!

H22 swaps in EG's are strictly straight line. Daily Driving with that motor WILL be hell.
Old 05-09-2003, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just wanted to find out, but yeah, all the suspension crap is going to have to be done. i would appreciate it if i could find out what to do with the vac lines.
Old 05-09-2003, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: finished h22 into cx, now having a rubberband effect?!! (OnePointFive)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OnePointFive &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it's called having an h22 in a hatch, welcome to hell!!

H22 swaps in EG's are strictly straight line. Daily Driving with that motor WILL be hell.</TD></TR></TABLE>

There are plenty of people with H22 powered Civics that enjoy their ride because they have a nice suspension setup.
Old 05-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: finished h22 into cx, now having a rubberband effect?!! (OnePointFive)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OnePointFive &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it's called having an h22 in a hatch, welcome to hell!!

H22 swaps in EG's are strictly straight line. Daily Driving with that motor WILL be hell.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks to your comment I'm sure everyone that reads this will be a little more stupid so Thank you very much.

Why do you even bother answering if you don't know??

With good suspension meaning everything not just coils and shocks an H22 HB can handle very nicely ESPECIALLY for a daily driver(road racing can still be nice). The H22 is only 75lbs heavier than a B series motor so get a nice light carbon fiber hood and there's about 40-50 pounds right there.

If you don't know then don't talk, thank you.
Old 05-09-2003, 05:07 PM

Default Re: finished h22 into cx, now having a rubberband effect?!! (CIVICVTI2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CIVICVTI2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thanks to your comment I'm sure everyone that reads this will be a little more stupid so Thank you very much.

Why do you even bother answering if you don't know??

With good suspension meaning everything not just coils and shocks an H22 HB can handle very nicely ESPECIALLY for a daily driver(road racing can still be nice). The H22 is only 75lbs heavier than a B series motor so get a nice light carbon fiber hood and there's about 40-50 pounds right there.

If you don't know then don't talk, thank you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly. The majority of the guys that talk bad about the H22 probably never ridden in one!

Don't forget getting a lighter flywheel and aftermarket header to reduce weight as well.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how come the h22 is so much more heavier than the b18? i dont think anything is wrong. im using the accord int. and integ. axles. i will raise the car up some. i didnt think that it would be that much harder because it is only 75 lbs. maybe the car is too low. does anyone know what to do with the vac lines? thanks.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:41 PM

Default Re: finished h22 into cx, now having a rubberband effect?!! (lazy bum shaughn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lazy bum shaughn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Exactly. The majority of the guys that talk bad about the H22 probably never ridden in one!

Don't forget getting a lighter flywheel and aftermarket header to reduce weight as well. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Removing AC (you don't need it, wimps) and relocating your battery (or just going with an ultra lightweight battery) will also help.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

totally not true, I drive my H22 EG everyday to and from work 50 miles a day and its actually bliss.... even w/o swaybars the hatch is pretty stable. Post ONLY if you have experienced one.

Back to the topic, make sure your axles aren't binding and also make sure the LSD diff is not broken, I say because when I broke the diff on my car it would refuse to go around a turn, I would turn the wheel but the car would continue to go straight it was weird. Sort a like understeer but at 10 MPH.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:13 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CIVICVTI2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

so get a nice light carbon fiber hood and there's about 40-50 pounds right there.

If you don't know then don't talk, thank you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

.... and the cycle continues
Old 05-09-2003, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: finished h22 into cx, now having a rubberband effect?!! (euclid)

EUCLID I don't know if your saying that I don't know what I'm talking about but either way it don't matter. A stock hood is about 40-50 pounds heavier then a light carbonfiber one. I'm not talking like a VIS carbon fiber hood which is not that much lighter then stock but a REAL lightweight made for racing one.

If this was not directed towards me then my bad but for some reason I think your saying I don't know what I'm talking about in which case I'll prove my point if need be.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The proof is in the pudding ...Straight from a website that sells Carbon Fiber hoods

"Kline Racing has developed an OEM-quality carbon fiber hood for all Civic models. This hood saves 55 pounds compared to a stock hood * equal to the same weight savings as converting a iron block motor to aluminum.

This hood fits the stock hinges and will easily bolt onto any Civic.

List price is $3,000. Racer net is $2,300."
Old 05-09-2003, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's impossible...literally.

The stock hood doesn't even weigh 55 lbs, so it can't save that much.

BTW, I just did an H22 swap.

Daily driving, it doesn't feel a FREAKIN TAD different than a B series. NOT AT ALL.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: finished h22 into cx, now having a rubberband effect?!! (sappsycho)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sappsycho &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Removing AC (you don't need it, wimps) and relocating your battery (or just going with an ultra lightweight battery) will also help.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can't run AC with an H22 swaped hatch. And $2300 for a CF hood?!?!? I know you get what you pay for, but seriously $2300, and that is supposed to be discounted from $3000? I like my $400 VIS hood, it may not be the lightest, but it sure doesn't cost $2300.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:34 PM

i want a h22
Old 05-09-2003, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I must love driving in hell everyday then. My car handles awesome, does killer in a straight line, and will soon see some autox as well. I have never talked with anyone with a H22 in a hatch that had a problem with handling that had to do only with the swap itself. There are way too many variables that could lead to his problem and is ******* rediculous to blame it only on the motor itself.

And yes you can retain A/C. HCP makes a relocater so you can run A/C, and thanks to Hot_EH he has it with the Hasport mounts as well.
Old 05-10-2003, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i drive a h22 for a daily driver and i love it. not that bad. my car doesn't want to go back... i dunno what it would be
Old 05-10-2003, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: finished h22 into cx, now having a rubberband effect?!! (fastwanabe)

im not saying the car handles bad, say like on the highway or driving around. it handles pretty much the same there. but when i try and turn, it seems like it wanted to go straight like u describe. it drives very smoothly, also when i turn, the inner wheel will chirp the whole way, i guess the lsd is working. sorry i wasnt more clear. can anyone help with the vac. lines? a pic of the intake man. on an h22a4 would be great. im gonna put some bigger rims on the car and raise it up some see if that will help. i dont mind it being a little tougher to turn, just trying to make sure that everything is ok, normal. thanks for everones comments.
Old 05-10-2003, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh ****!... its Hammer Time! ******' idiot!

i have a Boosted H22 Hatch,, seems to me that i like drivin in hell too.... i take turns fine ...

good suspension is the key.

Old 05-10-2003, 09:01 AM

To whoever said a/c can't be kept w/ an H22 in a civic...that is just a stupid post, I'm sorry, surf the web, you'll see plenty, I have 4 people local that have H22 HB and they don't complain, 1 has a/c and said it really wasn't hard to do, just took some time...I'm sorry I can't post vacuum hook ups but if you want help call 478-475-1455 ask for Chris and tell him ALEX told you to contact him...he'll help as much as he can for you...good luck (BTW he has done probably 10+ H22A civic/ integra swaps so I think he'd know, his brother also had one in an eg).
Old 05-10-2003, 09:18 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">EUCLID I don't know if your saying that I don't know what I'm talking about but either way it don't matter. A stock hood is about 40-50 pounds heavier then a light carbonfiber one. I'm not talking like a VIS carbon fiber hood which is not that much lighter then stock but a REAL lightweight made for racing one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

your a moron...a civic oem hood weighs 35lbs give or take a lb or two.

my ViS hood weighs like 15 or under.
Old 05-10-2003, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostindoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> also how are the vac. lines supposed to be hooked up? which ones plugged and which goes somewhere?</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.cardomain.com/membe...age=2

down in the middle of the page.
Old 05-10-2003, 09:56 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostindoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also when i turn, the inner wheel will chirp the whole way, i guess the lsd is working</TD></TR></TABLE>

um... isn't the point of limited slip to stop the inside wheel from spinning? Because when turning the wheels need to turn at different speeds. Open diffs let the power transfer to the wheel that's not gripping ( bad ) while limited slip diffs keep the power to the wheel that is gripping ( good )...basically letting the diff. slip just enough to let the wheels turn at different speeds, but keeping the power there...

if the wheel is chirping ( spinning? ) i don't think its working.
Old 05-10-2003, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: finished h22 into cx, now having a rubberband effect?!! (sivik2nr)

I figured it out.

It has NOTHING at all to do with your swap, or your LSD.

Get an alignment....I bet it fixes the problem.

One major sign of a bad alignment is that when you try to turn the steering wheel will fight you all the way until it is back in the straight position.

I betcha it's a bad alignment

Quick Reply: finished h22 into cx, now having a rubberband effect?!!