Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Finer filtering fuel filter? Injectors clogging

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finer filtering fuel filter? Injectors clogging

Got a 94 Integra on a trade and it's having one issue. After you drive the thing for maybe a hundred miles, it starts missing and drives horribly.

If I pull the fuel rail and get the injectors out, they are clogged with fine crap. What the heck. Keeps happening. Clean them out, and your good to go for a while, but it happens again. Super fine particles. I've never had this happen before in any Honda I've owned.

what do you guys think I should do? Is the fuel filter bad? Would that normally catch these particles? Obviously it's getting through... so if it were clogged... that's not the issue I guess?

Is there a finer fuel filter I could throw on to catch this stuff before it gets to the rail and injectors??

Thanks for any advice.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finer filtering fuel filter? Injectors clogging

Might be the tank or the pump coming apart. If you need, you can somehow rig up a second fuel filter inline.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, i'm assuming it's particles in the tank... i havent looked in there to see.if its rusty or not. Its a southern car, no rust anywhere, not that that means the inside of the tank wouodnt rust i guess. I know the previous owner whos had the car for years as his daily, and this problem just started before I got it. Just wondered if there was such a thing as a super finer then oem filter.I could buy from somewhere? Any recommendations or links?

has this happened to anyone else?
Old 08-03-2017, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would start with throwing a new OEM or OE style fuel filter in, then pull the fuel sending unit assembly out of the tank and make sure the sock/pre filter for the fuel pump is still attached. While you have that out you can look around in the tank a bit and see if it has junk floating around in it.

The only time I have really heard of this happening is when the lines (rubber/steel) or the tank start to deteriorate and it can cause all kinds of issues. But this is usually on cars that sat for long periods of time with old gas in them or they ended up getting a lot moisture in the fuel lines.

Also I am not sure if these were on OBD2 injectors only or if the OBD1 injectors had them, but there are suppose to be these little fuel injector pre filters that sit inside the injector (they slide in and out) where the top of the injector meets the fuel rail.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

You haven't even replaced the filter under the hood once yet? Sounds like it has a hole in the media and is just letting everything through.

This does not happen to cars that are stock, so there is no need for special filters.

You may consider draining the gas tank if there is a lot of crud in it.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would take the back seat out and pull the pump out. Maybe the pump is missing the sock that filters the fine particles on the bottom. You can also take a flashlight and see if there is junk in the tank.

edit: Just read 1999 Civic Si's post and I agree lol
Old 08-03-2017, 07:09 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts

You could also remove the fuel-tank drain plug and drain all the fuel out to see what was lurking within. If the fuel looks clean and not full of water, pour it back in.

But definitely replace the OEM fuel filter (with OEM) if you haven't done so yet.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol woops, just noticed I posted this in the civic forum not the Integra forum. Habit.

there is a plug on the fuel tank?
Old 08-03-2017, 12:59 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts

Yup (on OEM tanks, not aftermarket). drivers side rear corner. Just noticed it the other day on the parts diagrams and confirmed under my own car. #40