Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

fidenza vs. exedy flywheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fidenza vs. exedy flywheels

im lokin at a clutch flywheel set for my 95 civic, the exedy stage 1 organic clutch with the fidenza 7lb flywheel is like 100 dollars cheaper than the stage 1 exedy clutch with the pro streey exedy flywheel 11.75 flywheel, just wonder if its worth the 100 dollars and do those fidenza wheels last long with the replacable frition area cause i want it to last thanks
Old 12-07-2005, 08:05 AM

Default Re: fidenza vs. exedy flywheels (f150harleytruck7)

i have an exedy clutch and fidanza 7lb flywheel... that is all.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i too have an exedy oem clutch replacement with the fidenza flywheel...no complaints
Old 12-07-2005, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are rare reports of Fidanza flywheels coming apart, but I've never seen actual evidence of it happening. I've used both and was happy with both, but I keep going back to the Fidanza's becuase they're lighter and cheaper.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: fidenza vs. exedy flywheels (pumatec8)

Have the same combo... More than happy with it.

It's been on for like 4-5k miles and it's fine IMO.

The only FW I'd spend the extra on is the ACT combo but unless you've got some serious power mods it's really not neccisary at all.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

fidanza flywheels are made by the same people to make the cluchmasters. go figure
Old 12-07-2005, 01:46 PM

go with the fidenza fly wheel much better Exedy for me no good.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:06 PM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: (spooncivic1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spooncivic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">fidanza flywheels are made by the same people to make the cluchmasters. go figure</TD></TR></TABLE>

More accurately, Clutch Masters flywheels are made by Fidanza.

To address the original poster's question, I would recommend the Fidanza / Clutch Masters.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've got an exedy stage 1 clutch(mild mods) and light flywheel. Love it. I didn't go with an aluminum one because I've heard horror stories about the teeth ring coming apart, or something like that. And if you plan on going forced induction, lighter is not always neccesarily better. For NA the lighter the better. Also be aware that a lighter flywheel makes driving in heavy traffic a big PITA over OEM .
Old 12-07-2005, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: fidenza vs. exedy flywheels (broketuner-egb16a)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by broketuner-egb16a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've got an exedy stage 1 clutch(mild mods) and light flywheel. Love it. I didn't go with an aluminum one because I've heard horror stories about the teeth ring coming apart, or something like that. And if you plan on going forced induction, lighter is not always neccesarily better. For NA the lighter the better. Also be aware that a lighter flywheel makes driving in heavy traffic a big PITA over OEM . </TD></TR></TABLE>

y is driving a PITA with lighter flywheels? im looking into a fidanza myself at the moment.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

used fidanza before and would use them again on next build
Old 12-07-2005, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have the exedy stage 1 with the exedy flywheel. i have no problems. does anyone know how much the replacement piece for the fidanza is? is it really worth it to try to take the piece out and replace? i always replace my flywheel while i'm changing the clutch. it saves me time and i can finish the job all at once.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:34 PM

personally, I wouldnt recommend getting to light of a flywheel, it will just **** you off in the long run. Just get something in the 12 lbs range you will notice the difference but it wont turn daily driving into a chore.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: fidenza vs. exedy flywheels (akteamster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by akteamster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

y is driving a PITA with lighter flywheels? im looking into a fidanza myself at the moment.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's not in normal conditions(on open roads and off the line it gives the car a high revving sports car feel) but heavy traffic sucks because the flywheel pics up speed and loses speed much quicker than OEM. Basically with a light flywheel in traffic, one of two things will happen(or maybe a combination of both) you'll stall more or get much quicker feet .
Old 12-08-2005, 08:35 AM

Default Re: fidenza vs. exedy flywheels (akteamster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by akteamster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">y is driving a PITA with lighter flywheels? im looking into a fidanza myself at the moment.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've heard that there is a much smaller "sweet-spot" where you can launch from.

With a normal flywheel you have:

&lt;&lt;stall&lt;&lt;----------------fine---------------&gt;&gt;spin&gt;&gt;

as opposed to a lightweight flywheel where you have:

&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;stall&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;----fine----&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;spin&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;spin

I've heard that stock is better for coming off the line in drag racing because you have the energy stored in the rotating flywheel to put to the ground, whereas w/ a lightweight flywheel there is less stored energy, which makes it ideal for autocross/road racing.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:55 AM

The only people I've ever heard bitch about flywheel weight are people who suck at driving. The flywheel losing speed quickly is only really an issue is you take more than a second to shift. And God forbid anyone ever have to modulate the gas pedal when they take off from a dead stop.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:16 AM

Default Re: (Kendall)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kendall &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The only people I've ever heard bitch about flywheel weight are people who suck at driving. The flywheel losing speed quickly is only really an issue is you take more than a second to shift. And God forbid anyone ever have to modulate the gas pedal when they take off from a dead stop.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Can you explain what that means? You don't have to go into detail, I just want to have a basic understanding.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have no problems driving with my 8 lb flywheel. i sit in LA traffic 4 times a week, drive thru a canyon daily, and go to the track once in a while. i can only come up with good reasons to get one on a n/a car. on a turbo car, people say to use a heavier flywheel, but i don't see what the difference is... my friend has an s4, and they have a lighter flywheel as an upgrade...so would someone make a flywheel that would hurt your performance?
Old 12-08-2005, 09:35 AM

Default Re: (littleredcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by littleredcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have no problems driving with my 8 lb flywheel. i sit in LA traffic 4 times a week, drive thru a canyon daily, and go to the track once in a while. i can only come up with good reasons to get one on a n/a car. on a turbo car, people say to use a heavier flywheel, but i don't see what the difference is... my friend has an s4, and they have a lighter flywheel as an upgrade...so would someone make a flywheel that would hurt your performance?</TD></TR></TABLE>

They say no on turbo cars because it supposedly causes traction problems and because the car revs faster while going through the gears. To me that means:
1) don't mash the pedal all the time and you'll have more traction
2) faster revving while in gear means accelerating faster (at least to me)

I was thinking about pulling apart my spare tranny for a new final drive, ect, ect; then I was told that getting a lightweight flywheel will make the car go through the gears faster, which is exactly what I need because of the 3rd gear on my EX tranny.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Everyones Hero)

I have a Exedy Stage 1 organic with Exedy Flywheel and I have had no problem so far.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a exedy stage 1 and a act streetlight flywheel and love it. had a fidenza in my conquest and it did come apart. i heard the same thing dont by a fidenza. well i did and had too put a new one in 1200 miles later.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:11 AM

Hold on, I dont just blindly recommend something. I know and you know a lightened fly wheel is a PITA for driving. Just because you go used to it doesnt cover up that FACT. Let some one know ALL the problems they COULD have.

There was a really good thread here about flywheels, explaining that the lightest flywheel isnt always the best way to go for the majority of people.

Stop being all proud and act like there is no problems. Be serious and at least acknowledge anything some one might notice.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:33 AM

Default Re: fidenza vs. exedy flywheels (deadlock32)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deadlock32 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hold on, I dont just blindly recommend something. I know and you know a lightened fly wheel is a PITA for driving. Just because you go used to it doesnt cover up that FACT. Let some one know ALL the problems they COULD have.

There was a really good thread here about flywheels, explaining that the lightest flywheel isnt always the best way to go for the majority of people.

Stop being all proud and act like there is no problems. Be serious and at least acknowledge anything some one might notice.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It may be a PITA to drive if you haven't practiced with it and learned how to drive with it. It's just like anything else that you're new to. You'll suck at it until you figure out what you're doing, what the car does and does not like.

Using a lightweight just means you have less margin for error.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:49 AM

the lightweight flyywheel is definately a pain to drive... i started to learn a manual with a 7lb fidanza. my friend was talking **** about how it was just me and i cannot drive a manual. this dude has been driving a manual for at about 10 years and never driven a car with a lightweight fly ever. once he got into my sol, he stalled and rolled down the driveway. i laughed...
Old 12-08-2005, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i really don't find it hard to drive any of my cars with lightened flywheels. i can get my cars going without having to hit the gas... just let go of the clutch and go thru 3 gears without touching the gas... i think its the way you learned to drive stick. most people learned to put the tach at 1500 and slowly let the clutch out, that is not the preferred way IMO

Quick Reply: fidenza vs. exedy flywheels