Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Faulty Vtec

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faulty Vtec

I have a problem with my Vtec i can hear it engage at around 5500 rpm but i don't feel the gain in power if anything it feels like a loss in power, also it seems that it sounds too aggressive like very loud, i've changed the solenoid gasket cause i saw some leaks around the solenoid and looked around in different threads and it looked like that was the cause of the oil leak

Could it be a broken solenoid or something else

i have a few mods, Blox Intake manifold, Cold air intake, headders, full exhaust, AEM fuel rail

any help would be great, i've looked around and i can't seem to find a propper solution to my problem
Old 07-17-2008, 01:03 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

are you running the proper ECU or did try using an RPM activated switch? If you use a switch vtec will sound like its functioning, but theres more to vtec than just the high cam profile, the ECU also dumps more fuel in the intake and i believe it changes the timing, RPM activated switch wont do any of that. Other than that i'm not sure, but i'm sure someone else will have an idea.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Faulty Vtec (LupeSI)

i'm running the stock ECU as far as i know of when i bought the car the previous owner didn't touch it, and im not using a switch vtec and as far as i know there was no major internal work done on it, i forgot to mention that my car is a 2000 civic SI

i don't really wanna change the solenoid till i get more oppinions cause thats the only other thing i can think off that might be faulty i'm not to experienced on the electrical side of it so i can't really say much
Old 07-17-2008, 05:58 PM

might be a dumb question but you need to start with the basics, VTEC also operates off of oil pressure...have you check your oil level?
Old 07-17-2008, 06:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heres a better question, do you have a single cam?
Old 07-17-2008, 07:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OMGWTFBBQ! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Heres a better question, do you have a single cam?</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LupeSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> my car is a 2000 civic SI</TD></TR></TABLE>

i hope not... that would just be retarded. i think speedracer had a better question.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:18 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm just guessing here, but i'm trying to do it with as much info as possible, the OP says he can hear vtec engaging at 5500 RPM, that should rule out the vtec solinoid and pressure switch as far as i can see. To me it sounds like either the ECU isn't giving it enough fuel, or the timing isn't right. Anyone else have any other ideas?
Old 07-17-2008, 08:30 PM

Default Re: (94EG8)

Its a Honda man VTEC suxs
Old 07-18-2008, 05:11 PM

Default Re: (Hondakid1)

dude u know wat it's normal....cuz b16 (99-00 civic si) vtec kicks like that.....the vtec would growl loud as [freak] but there is no power to it....have u heard of single cams can take on a b16......everything is normal...u can ask any civic si drivers....no upgrade no power to the b16.....i ganranteed u that everything is fine.....that's how a b16 works....
Old 07-18-2008, 06:14 PM

Default Re: (tonylor89)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tonylor89 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude u know wat it's normal....cuz b16 (99-00 civic si) vtec kicks like that.....the vtec would growl loud as [freak] but there is no power to it....have u heard of single cams can take on a b16......everything is normal...u can ask any civic si drivers....no upgrade no power to the b16.....i ganranteed u that everything is fine.....that's how a b16 works....</TD></TR></TABLE>

bad advice... and i guarantee you that

i've heard of single cams that have more then just i/h/e taking b16's but think of it this way that si coupe is a pig. i really doubt that a d16 could pull on a b16 in the same chasis, with the same mods.

also wtf the op describes what happens as

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LupeSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but i don't feel the gain in power if anything it feels like a loss in power</TD></TR></TABLE>

i know that with my b16 hits vtec i feel a gain in power definately not a loss. its not a dramatic gain in power but the car is a dog till it hits vtec.

to the OP do you get any check engine lights or anything when you hit vtec?
Old 07-19-2008, 02:41 PM

Yes i've checked my oil level its fine and still no power gain like i said feels more like a loss during vtec

no i don't have a single cam as i said i have a 2000 civic SI/SIR for you canadians which means its got a b16

as i also said i have some basic upgrades I/H/E, aem fuel rail, blox intake manifold so i'm guessing i'd feel a slight power gain from that even a little.

i don't get check engine light when i hit vtec i did have a check engine light but i fixed it, it was for front and rear O2 sensor and still the vtec feels like ****

and its not like i've just started driving this car its just i didn't use it durring winter months and drove it around when the good weather came never really booted it till few days ago and vtec feels like **** from what i remember last summer

to explain it a bit more like i said at around 5500 rpm i can hear vtec kick in and its VERY LOUD (so my buddies say compared to a integra gsr, and a swapped b16 coup on a 96 shell, not saying this has anything to do with the vtec porblem just mentioning it as information to help maybe solve my problem) and insted of feeling a slight gain in power i feel a slight loss insted, like its getting gutless in the higher rpm

my buddy said timing could be a possibility and maybe the ECU but i really don't know how to check that so i guess i'd have to go to a dealer or a honda expert for that, thx 94EG8 for the info

thx to all so far for ideas, if anyone else have any info it would be great i'd like to get more if possible b4 i spend the 200 bucks at Honda for a full check up and see if i can fix it my self and save some money
Old 07-19-2008, 04:22 PM

see if you know someone with a timing light... check the timing i wouldnt pay for a shop to do that. its pretty easy and im sure you could find a write up on it some where here.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:38 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (tonylor89)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tonylor89 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude u know wat it's normal....cuz b16 (99-00 civic si) vtec kicks like that.....the vtec would growl loud as [freak] but there is no power to it....have u heard of single cams can take on a b16......everything is normal...u can ask any civic si drivers....no upgrade no power to the b16.....i ganranteed u that everything is fine.....that's how a b16 works....</TD></TR></TABLE>

wheres your single cam at son?
Old 07-19-2008, 04:39 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (longshot)

as far as i know, i think you might need a valve adjustment,

this was happening to my friends prelude, and his exhaust was smashed shut...so check that out too.