Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Father Needs Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Father Needs Help!!!

Hello My name is Dan. Two months ago my son(Mike) was hit by a drunk driver leaving him perolized from the neck down. He was 21 years old and like all of you, loved his Honda. His 99 civic si was trashed, leaving nothing reusable. Not too sure of all the modifications he had done, but I do know it was built from his blood sweat and tears. As any father would do, I bought him a new 2000 civic EX. I know it is not an Si nor can he ever drive again, but I want to build this car into his dream car and give it as a gift to him for being strong throughout this whole thing. I know he will never be able to drive it, so maybe we can build into a show car, but I know my sone too well for me not to put any power under the hood. So this is where all of you come in. I am 47 years old and do not know very much about your Honda world. I need suggestions on the motor swap. Waht engine to swap in? What do I need to make the swap as easy as possible. Do I need a new ECU and what are some good power add ons. As you can tell I am lost, so I hope someone can help me out a little or just point me in the right direction.

As my son told me- To "The greatest car enthusiasts" Thank you
Old 12-09-2002, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Father Needs Help!!! (HondaForMike)

bump 4 mike
Old 12-09-2002, 09:23 AM

I think it is cool that you are trying to help your son reach his dream. And I am sorry for your son. But hope this helps him out. As for a swap this is what I would do if I were you. B18C5 is the Swap that everyone wants. It is by far the most powerful bolt in like factory B-series 4 cylinder engine. Has more aggressive cams, LSD tranny, Ported and polished from the factory and also is blue printed from Honda. I think this will be your best bet. Also this motor is from a 97-2001 Integra so it already uses a OBD2 computer which will be very helpful in helping you in this swap. If you need any other advise let me know and I will help however I can. Try this link for that motor. They have about the cheapest prices around..

http://www.osakajdmmotors.com Talk to Mark he is a good guy.

Also this is a straight forward swap nothing real hard.

[Modified by Extreme_Hybrid_Hatch, 10:24 AM 12/9/2002]
Old 12-09-2002, 09:23 AM

Im so sorry about your son --- its heartwarming to see the love you have for him.
What is your budget ---- ?

Old 12-09-2002, 09:26 AM

It all depends on how much you are will to spend. I think the best swap right now is a B18C1 it's the Integra GSR motor and it runs anywheres from 2800-3300 dollars and up. This is a pretty good starting point for the car with 180 hp. If you want to spend a little more you can get the Integra Type R motor (B18C5) This is a 200 Hp (I am pretty sure) motor. It runs about 4000-4500. Or if you want to go the relatively cheap way you can get your son's SI motor (B16A2) for around 1000, this has 160 Hp. Or finally you can get a B16A Sir II motor this gives you 170 HP for around 2000-2300. Those are the best motor swaps that I can think of right now. I am not too sure of the Torque specs on them but whichever you choose will be a good motor as a little side note all of the motors I mentioned at Osaka Motors and they are all JDM Spec. USDM motors are generally less powerful due to Emissions. Also with every motor swap you order they SHOULD come with an ECU for it. From there you will have to decide between going Normally Aspirated or Turbo, I am not too sure what to do with turbo's but for a normally aspirated engine Some boltons that you can do are Exhaust systems, Intakes, Headers (these 3 are generally the first done to an NA car) From there you can get Intake Manifold and continue with Cam's, Cam Gears, etc. There are many aspects of the car you can play with and I'm sure it'll look great. You found a good Forum Board to help you along your way!!! Good luck with your car and you are an awesome father to do this!!!! Kudos!

If you decide to do a B16A Swap here is a good website to go to for a check list of everything that needs to be collected to perform the swap and recommendations on which motor to get:
http://b16a.honda-perf.org/prelim.html

Scott

[Modified by SlippylesKB, 1:38 PM 12/9/2002]
Old 12-09-2002, 09:28 AM

You've come to the rite place.
Your best option would be to put another b16 engine in there (99-00 si) and build upon that,Or you could always shoehorn a prelude engine in there.
You will need the ecu,engine,tranny,axles,mounts,and shift linkage from a civic si or integra.The swap is pretty strait forward and will be easy to do if you have any experience with cars.It sounds intimidating but is actually not as hard as it sounds.Post any specific question you have and i'm sure most will be willing to help.
Sorry to hear about your sons accident.

[Modified by b16ahybrid, 10:30 AM 12/9/2002]
Old 12-09-2002, 09:28 AM

Default Re: Father Needs Help!!! (Extreme_Hybrid_Hatch)

They are really nice people and I have been searching for a swap for about a year now and they have by far the best prices.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Father Needs Help!!! (neo1z)

for a swap you will need complete motor,ecu,trans,axel's,wire harness,shift linkage, i dont know what your budget is but id go with a dohc vtec maybe b18c1,b18c or b16a(those are motor codes it makes it easier if you learn them because we talk about them alot and it might be easyto get lost or confused)...and does he want a show car or does he have a style of cars that he likes? he might not be into the whole body kit/neon lights thing but i dont know....sorry about what happened to your son and good luck with the project the civic ex is a great car to start with

have any more questions? just ask anyone on h-t
Old 12-09-2002, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Father Needs Help!!! (DV98CVC)

Well first off, let me say how sorry I am to hear about this tragedy. I know it must be hard on your family for you son to be paralyzed by an incident he had no control over....best of luck to you and your son and your entire family for getting through all of this.

Second, that is probably one of the nicest things you could do for your son to show how much you care and he means to you! You sound like a really good father.

If you are looking into anything related to building up the new Civic you bought him, I am sure everyone on Honda-Tech will have no problem giving you advice and technical support.

If you are looking into swapping motors, i would maybe look into the Integra GSR motor (B18C1). That is a nice motor to work with and will provide a lot of driving pleasure for you and your son. Like i said, if , and when, you need technical advice, we will all be more than happy to help you out.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:31 AM

Default Re: Father Needs Help!!! (SlippylesKB)

There is not a price tag one the pride and courage my son has shown me. All I want from him is a smile and for him to know I understood how much he loved his hobbie no matter how many times he kept me up all hours of the night working on his car.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Father Needs Help!!! (b16a ferio)

i forgot to say ..you only have 5 posts per day so use them wisely until you become a member then you can ask away
Old 12-09-2002, 09:40 AM

There is not a price tag one the pride and courage my son has shown me. All I want from him is a smile and for him to know I understood how much he loved his hobbie no matter how many times he kept me up all hours of the night working on his car.
that shows crazy love for him, but still, you have a budget. if you were to give us a number on how much you wanted to spend, then we could give you a whole car setup for that amount. each persons setup would be different of course, but you could choose which make most sense to mike.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:47 AM

Default Re: Father Needs Help!!! (one-syk)

Wow, alot of you have responded so quickly and appreciate that from the bottom of my heart. It seems to me that I have ALOT of research to do and few websites to visit, even a few phone calls to make. You honda folks are simply amazing and I understand even more why my son loved his honda. The blood, sweat, and tears my son put into his car will never be replaced. I just hope I can do the same for him and with all of your help, your blood, sweat, and tears will be a big part of this. THANK YOU, ALL OF YOU!

I am sure I will have tons more questions, but a gentleman told me I only have 5 posts per day, so I need to use these post wisley.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:53 AM

hahaha, we all pretty much live on this Forum... no matter what time of day, if you have a question you will probably get immediate responses! And I guess I will be the first one to say Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Old 12-09-2002, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Father Needs Help!!! (SlippylesKB)

welcome to h-t dan
Old 12-09-2002, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Father Needs Help!!! (one-syk)

Welcome man, thats pretty cool what you are doing. I say go with a b18c5 for the engine swap.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Father Needs Help!!! (black2kcivic)

Sorry to hear about your son, i pray his life only gets better from now on.

I say go with the b18c5, and if you are building a show car for you son I personally like these body kits:

-Aerotrend's Jitsu

-Tsunami's T2000

[Modified by i2acerX, 11:14 AM 12/9/2002]
Old 12-09-2002, 10:09 AM

Wow, alot of you have responded so quickly and appreciate that from the bottom of my heart. It seems to me that I have ALOT of research to do and few websites to visit, even a few phone calls to make. You honda folks are simply amazing and I understand even more why my son loved his honda. The blood, sweat, and tears my son put into his car will never be replaced. I just hope I can do the same for him and with all of your help, your blood, sweat, and tears will be a big part of this. THANK YOU, ALL OF YOU!

I am sure I will have tons more questions, but a gentleman told me I only have 5 posts per day, so I need to use these post wisley.
.....Sign up so you can ask away unlimited.
You sound a lot like my father,Although he teases me about having half an engine (he grew up building v-8's) i know if he was put in the same situation he would do the same,He knows i have a passion for cars, and performance.... ..You sound like a truely great father... ....I'm sure all of your hard work will be greatly appreciated..
Old 12-09-2002, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Father Needs Help!!! (black2kcivic)

wish my dad was as cool as you, like everyone here said, honda-tech is the place to be if you want to learn how to build a mean honda. just browse around and im pretty sure, you'll get some good ideas. hope things work out for you, your son, and your present!!
Old 12-09-2002, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Father Needs Help!!! (pennies_hatchie)

Can't they make this gentlemen a member a bit more quickly so he can post as much as he needs to?
Old 12-09-2002, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Father Needs Help!!! (tolowhb)

I am sorry to hear about your son. I wish him well, and both him and your family will be in my prayer's.

Here are some links.

https://honda-tech.com/zerosearch There are a lot of posts on H-T about tons and tons of topics. Use the search and also search in the archived posts. There is a wealth of information in there.

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto.php Good General How to articles.

http://tech.hybridgarage.com/tech/index.html Great swap information.

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/ http://www.osakajdmmotors.com/ These are two places to get engines from, I would recommend looking strongly at Osaka.

http://www.importhorizon.com/links.html This page has links to a lot of different companies websites. Greddy, Apex'I, and more.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:56 AM
H-T Poker champion

Default Re: Father Needs Help!!! (tolowhb)

I'm sorry to hear about your son.. I hope everything works out. I would go with the B18C5 type-r swap. Thats the best bang for the buck. You should ask your son if he would rather of had Forced Induction or N/A on his SI.. and depending of whatever he replys thats the way you should go with the swap. You're a great dad man!
Old 12-09-2002, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Father Needs Help!!! (Majin-Hatchy-Ownzjo0)

welcome dann-o! you're in good hands with H-T
Old 12-09-2002, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Father Needs Help!!! (Extreme_Hybrid_Hatch)

I think it is cool that you are trying to help your son reach his dream. And I am sorry for your son. But hope this helps him out. As for a swap this is what I would do if I were you. B18C5 is the Swap that everyone wants. It is by far the most powerful bolt in like factory B-series 4 cylinder engine. Has more aggressive cams, LSD tranny, Ported and polished from the factory and also is blue printed from Honda. I think this will be your best bet. Also this motor is from a 97-2001 Integra so it already uses a OBD2 computer which will be very helpful in helping you in this swap. If you need any other advise let me know and I will help however I can. Try this link for that motor. They have about the cheapest prices around..

Also this is a straight forward swap nothing real hard.

[Modified by Extreme_Hybrid_Hatch, 10:24 AM 12/9/2002]
not to sound like a dick, but if he buys a JDM Motor, i thought they didnt use OBD Standards, or am i wrong?
Old 12-09-2002, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You've definitely come to the right place, good luck with everything. I would also like to say that I think this is truly a wonderful display of love from a father to his son. God Bless your son, you, and your entire family.

Quick Reply: Father Needs Help!!!