Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Falken Azenis

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 04:50 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Falken Azenis

Hey,

I've been doing some research and I get the feeling that most of you guys are running Falken Azenis on your street setups.

So far, the only downfalls I've found out about them are that they don't have the best traction in the rain, and that they don't last too long.

My questions:

1) From your personal opinions, how bad are they in the rain?

AND,

2) From your experiences, how long do they typically last?

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:56 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Falken Azenis (litterbox)

1) People who say they aren't great in the rain must drive like idiots. I use mine as my wet race tires when I'm lazy. I also drive my car about 150 miles a day with 205-50-15's.....in Seattle, through rain and all and have NEVER felt unstable at highway speeds, except for major standing water- where I've never had a tire feel stable before.

On wet ground, I feel like they are a great tire, given your tire pressure is good and your tread is good. Just don't drive like a moron in the rain and you'll be fine.

2) I've never ran a set down to the cords, or close to bald, I change wheels too much. BUT, the set I have on now, I've had since last April and put on about 10k miles...tread is still great. Just make sure your allignment is good and don't be doing burnouts or have JDM camber, and they should last you 15-20k miles
Old 10-15-2004, 04:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

1) As long as the driver isn't driving like a moron in the rain, they should be fine.
2) That depends on many factors. Road condition and temperature(not that big of factor), the way you drive. Stuff like that can cause the longevity of them to vary.
Old 10-15-2004, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Falken Azenis (DOHC4life)

ya you have to pay extra attention when driving in the rain. but even if u r just doing the speed limit on the highway, it is very easy to hydroplane.

if you are just driving around town and what not, i wouldnty run these tires. the only reason i run them is because i autox.

and my last set lasted for about 7 autox meets. but thats really hard driving. so you should easily be able to get an entire summer out of them with no problem, on the street.
Old 10-15-2004, 05:14 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: Falken Azenis (99b18)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99b18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
if you are just driving around town and what not, i wouldnty run these tires. the only reason i run them is because i autox.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why wouldn't you drive these around on the street?
Old 10-15-2004, 06:43 PM

1. totally fine in the rain. even when they're totally bald, you can still get around - but drive slow and lookout for puddles. when they have lots of tread left, they're actually pretty good rain tires.

2. depends. if you never autox or race they'll last a long time. i've gotten about 20000 street miles + 1 track day + 10000 autocrosses + 4 passes down the strip - and they have no tread left, but i'm gonna run them till i see a cord.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:11 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Falken Azenis (jwn7)

they are fine in the rain.. standing water is what you have to worry about and that goes for just about every tire. i drove home in a down pour tonight and I didn't have any problem.

I am up around 20,000 miles on my azenis.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Falken Azenis (Dengar)

I've got 2 years on mine. 20 autox events to. Greats tire for the money. Ran them last year in the winter and 3 snow storms. HIGHLY not recommended but they did get me home. Might i say 30mph but home.
Old 10-16-2004, 02:14 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: Falken Azenis (toadolson)

Thanks for all the info! I'm gonna get them.
Old 10-16-2004, 02:18 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Why wouldn't you drive these around on the street?</TD></TR></TABLE>

because whats the sense in running a race tire, that will not last very long and have terrible performance in the rain. just to get from point a to point b?? there are many other tires out there for that will give you decent performance when you wanna screw around and still give you many miles of life, as well as good wet performance.

i just dont see the point in a race tire, unless you are actually racing. but thats just my opinion.
Old 10-16-2004, 02:29 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: Falken Azenis (99b18)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99b18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
because whats the sense in running a race tire, that will not last very long and have terrible performance in the rain. just to get from point a to point b?? there are many other tires out there for that will give you decent performance when you wanna screw around and still give you many miles of life, as well as good wet performance.
i just dont see the point in a race tire, unless you are actually racing. but thats just my opinion.</TD></TR></TABLE>

From the info I've gathered, these tires are quite inexpensive compared to the competition. You can get them for around $300 shipped, probably less than that.

My car's main purpose is to drive me around daily, to and from work and such. HOWEVER, every once in a while I like to open it up on the Parkway. Performance in this area is what I'm looking for because that's why I'm building my car. Also, if these tires will last 15000-20000miles they have a good life span for a high performance tire. Why not have a race tire if they last long and are affordable? Also, I trust HT members when they say that the Azenis have decent performance in the rain. Even if they don't, I won't be screwing around in the rain.
Old 10-16-2004, 02:32 PM
TSPeed Factory

my experience with azenis is that they make a lot of road noise. imo if your purpose for these tires is for daily driving then i'd go with something else more streetable.
Old 10-16-2004, 02:33 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: Falken Azenis (AzntaggeR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AzntaggeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my experience with azenis is that they make a lot of road noise. imo if your purpose for these tires is for daily driving then i'd go with something else more streetable.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok, what makes them unstreetable IYO?
Old 10-16-2004, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AzntaggeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my experience with azenis is that they make a lot of road noise. imo if your purpose for these tires is for daily driving then i'd go with something else more streetable.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm surprised people say this. Noise is definately not a problem with these in my opinion. My tires:

Azenis vs. Nitto 450
Day-----------Night
Old 10-16-2004, 03:26 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Falken Azenis (CRXDelSol!)

they do make noise at they get older, but it isn't really that noticeable.
Old 10-16-2004, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Falken Azenis (Dengar)

I hear noise on mine now, after almost one year of driving on them. Kinda sounds like a very faint super swamper tire sound, hehe if that makes any sense. It's not gonna be a fun rain season though for me, since this is the first time I'll be driving in the rain with the B20 w/B16 tranny. Gonna have to be extra cautious now...since it's soo easy to spin the tires.
Old 10-16-2004, 03:55 PM

Default Re: Falken Azenis (DjGuamstyles)

first off, they're not race tires. they're street tires.

second, if you complain about tire noise, sorry ... you're a *****.

turn your radio up
Old 10-16-2004, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">From your personal opinions, how bad are they in the rain? </TD></TR></TABLE>

i was driving on a wet road and i crashed my car and i died.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">From your experiences, how long do they typically last?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i get like 8-10K out of them suckers.

also i dont have a phat tyte st3rio system in my car, infact i dont even have a radio, and they're not that loud. my gutted rear hatch is louder actually.

peees.
Old 10-16-2004, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Falken Azenis (Chris y0!)

only thing about them is when its cold and u dont heat them up they suck bad... my stock 13's grab better on cold days without being heated up... next time im not getting azeins im goin for something else.... ps their not bad in rain and i have like 10k on them
Old 10-16-2004, 05:11 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: Falken Azenis (dropd4door)

I guess the real question is: Would you buy them again?
Old 10-16-2004, 05:42 PM

yes, without any hesitation
Old 10-17-2004, 01:38 PM
TSPeed Factory

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ok, what makes them unstreetable IYO?</TD></TR></TABLE>

the fact that it makes a lot of road and i don't like how they feel on the road.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had a set for the past 24K miles. My front two went out about 5K miles ago. When i say gave out I mean they had patches on them that were 3" x 4" of wires showing. But, the tires i had on the rear still had over 50% tread left. It all depends on how you drive, your alignment, and how much you rotate your tires. If you keep up on the maintenance of them they are awesome tires.

They are fine in the rain. I've done 80+ mph on a high way in the rain when i was late for school and they gave me no problems.

DO NOT DRIVE WITH THESE ON IN THE SNOW. I've got a c1 in my hatch and was doing a burnout while taking off in 5th gear when it was snowing. Not good.
Old 10-17-2004, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

azenis+wet weather+no ABS= Dangerous
Old 10-17-2004, 08:31 PM

Default Re: Falken Azenis (TurboTagTeam)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboTagTeam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">azenis + wet weather + no ABS = NOT Dangerous</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboTagTeam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">azenis + wet weather + driving like an ******* = Dangerous</TD></TR></TABLE>

fixed

Quick Reply: Falken Azenis