Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

FAILED STATE REFEREE

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAILED STATE REFEREE

i got a ticket a few weeks ago for my intake. it had no carb number. i figured i just need a stock intake and i'll be fine. my state ref appointment was today. i failed.
on the emissions i only failed the HC(PPM) section. max was 97(15 mph) and 62(25mph), my measurements were 97, 63. i barely failed. my timing was also off a little. my car model is a vx. i have a dx motor in it. so i had to do the o2 sensor wire conversion to the ecu. the guy there told me he wouldn't pass me because of that. is there any way around this? this is turning into a nightmare for me. thanks in advance.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:42 AM

Default Re: FAILED STATE REFEREE (hatch_)

dont fix it, go to court, and tell them u sold the car (if its pending your name)...or put it under someones name...the court will either let it go, or charge a 20 dollar few...i have a GSR TURBO EG...and i just put under homies name and took the bill of sale copy and the ticket was let go...
Old 07-16-2008, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One ppm. darn it.

Explain a little on the 02 conversion. Is it the one that has two o2 sensors in the ex manifold, and the D15 has a bung for one only.

Didn't the vx come with a d series motor? if so I believe you can run that ex manifold on the d15.

Set your timing to spec and give the car a good run before you go for the next test.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i didn't think there would be a way around the o2 sensor to ecu conversion either. to make it look legit that is.
the car is under my name. the guy there told me i had to get this fix asap. he also said that i can't sell it or retire it. and if i ignore the ticket...the police would come and arrest me blah blah blah. bullshit! i know.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FAILED STATE REFEREE (thesmogman)

the o2 conversion...i had to run wires straight from the o2 to the ecu. i think its called the 4-5 wire o2 conversion.
yes...dx is d series. i don't have a ex manifold. everything is from a dx.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the vx has an egr and a wide band o2

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skeletonskater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont fix it, go to court, and tell them u sold the car (if its pending your name)...or put it under someones name...the court will either let it go, or charge a 20 dollar few...i have a GSR TURBO EG...and i just put under homies name and took the bill of sale copy and the ticket was let go...</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats pretty shady there.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FAILED STATE REFEREE (skeletonskater)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skeletonskater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont fix it, go to court, and tell them u sold the car (if its pending your name)...or put it under someones name...the court will either let it go, or charge a 20 dollar few...i have a GSR TURBO EG...and i just put under homies name and took the bill of sale copy and the ticket was let go...</TD></TR></TABLE>

the above quoted seems like it might work....
Old 07-16-2008, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if u got a reff ticket and u fix it and pass the reff do u still have to pay the fulll amount?
Old 07-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what full amount are you talking about?
if i was to pass the emissions test...can they still fail me just because of my modified o2 wires?
Old 07-16-2008, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hatch_)

just wondering cuz i got a reff ticket and its for $483.... but i could go to reff.....wooulld i still have to pay if i pass.. cuz my friend just paid the ticket and didnt go to the reff...but i want to see if i go i can pay less?.

i dont think that they'll fail u as long as the car is running good
Old 07-16-2008, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you pass the state ref you won't have to pay the fine. thats what happend to this guy i talked to last time. how long was it until you got the fine in the mail?
Old 07-17-2008, 09:03 AM

most of the times when its a swap, its hard to pass, even if the same motor, well thats here in Cali. Thats why i put it in someones else's name instead of paying all that amount. But u were also close to passing the test, maybe try again, they dont charge anyways..
Old 07-17-2008, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

where do you guys live that keep getting tickets for a manifold ? low suspension thats shorter than a cops night stick etc etc, and wtf is a state referee ?
Can someone that speaks english please translate for me ?
Old 07-17-2008, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatch_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you pass the state ref you won't have to pay the fine. thats what happend to this guy i talked to last time. how long was it until you got the fine in the mail?</TD></TR></TABLE>

passing ref or not you still have to pay a fine. im not sure on the exact dollar amount but with passing ref you pay $3??.00 and not paying ref you pay $400-500. law was pass around 5 years ago. somewhere around that time. before if you pass ref it was just a $10 fee.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (eg:R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg:R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

passing ref or not you still have to pay a fine. im not sure on the exact dollar amount but with passing ref you pay $3??.00 and not paying ref you pay $400-500. law was pass around 5 years ago. somewhere around that time. before if you pass ref it was just a $10 fee. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i think it's still $10 after passing ref ain't it?
Old 07-17-2008, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a guy i work with got a ref ticket a few weeks ago and he just recently got his ticket in the mail..he said that if he just paid the bail it would be $490 and if he passes state Ref it would be $360...he has a lowered truck and the stupid CHP gave him a ref ticket visit bcuzz of his air filter
Old 07-17-2008, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

change your oil and it will pass, seriously

SO DO IT

did the ref know about the o2, or did you tell him? is it a hack job butt connector setup?
Old 07-17-2008, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatch_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i didn't think there would be a way around the o2 sensor to ecu conversion either. to make it look legit that is.
the car is under my name. the guy there told me i had to get this fix asap. he also said that i can't sell it or retire it. and if i ignore the ticket...the police would come and arrest me blah blah blah. bullshit! i know.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so your saying the ref is not passing your car because of the modification of the o2 wires or is it that you have to have the 5 wire o2??

just thow in a dx engine hardness and call it a day or tape it a long the engine hardness with black tape and take it to another ref station. make it look factory

Old 07-17-2008, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its been a month and a week. nothings came in the mail yet. i didn't tell the guy there about the o2. but the wires were running straight from the o2 to the firewall, and to the ecu. he just simply said that wasn't acceptable. i'm wondering if there is any way to make the o2 conversion look any better.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatch_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its been a month and a week. nothings came in the mail yet. i didn't tell the guy there about the o2. but the wires were running straight from the o2 to the firewall, and to the ecu. he just simply said that wasn't acceptable. i'm wondering if there is any way to make the o2 conversion look any better.</TD></TR></TABLE>

im pretty sure the state ref guys want everything to look factory meaning no loose wires here and there and everything has to be covered up...i suggest takin the time to wrap up the loose wires or putting some kind of cover on the o2 wire so it looks like it came that way from the factory
Old 07-17-2008, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it was like a month for me to recieve my ticket...... its $483.... this blows............ does anyone knoe a way to get out of paying.. besides changing the name??
Old 07-17-2008, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (darksolguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by darksolguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it was like a month for me to recieve my ticket...... its $483.... this blows............ does anyone knoe a way to get out of paying.. besides changing the name??</TD></TR></TABLE>

ive been on here on the past few weeks lookin for ways to get pass this but its either pay it, go to the ref and pass or bar, change names, or sell the car..even if u pas ref u still have to pay $3xx or so i heard from my friend...everyone says if u change names or sell the car then the court will drop all charges and u just pay the court fees which is 10-20 bucks i guess
Old 07-17-2008, 06:28 PM

dude you were too close to pass it... but .. just change your oil, and make another visit.. but go to the one on Downtow L.A. They are not so mean with you.. they are cool..!! they even help you..
i got one reff tcket for a modified moffler, and just reaplce the moffler for a stock one..
but i also have an intake on my crx and they did not made a big deal for that.. they do not mind if you have a intake...

but if you manage to sell the car just like the buddy above says.. just do it.. do not let them get away with your money..

Modified by sorullo at 7:42 PM 7/17/2008
Old 07-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ekb16)

so if i "sell" my car ,, do i have to go to court or just go to the window and show them that i sold it... cuz i dont like going to the judge......
Old 07-17-2008, 06:36 PM

ohh and i forgot...... did you know that if you don't pass the test.. you can ask the State to fix it for you.. my bro in law did that last time.... jsut have to fill out some papers and all you info and they tell you to what smog check station will fix it for you without paying a penny..

Quick Reply: FAILED STATE REFEREE