Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

FAILED E-test. Amazing Idle, Horrible 25mp/h. What Would Cause?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 01:55 PM
I want a CRX tattoed on my butt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FAILED E-test. Amazing Idle, Horrible 25mp/h. What Would Cause?

So I failed my e-test for the second time today

The car is a 90 Civic dx with a b16a 1st gen with a pr3 ecu

The tests are basically the same, except this time, I used a bit of seafoam, guaranteed to pass bottle of crap and a bit of denatured alcohol

The car runs aparently polution free @ idle, and like a bag of **** @ 25mp/h

Idle Test

Limit Reading

HC ppm 200 101

CO % 1.0 0.00

NOppm n/a n/a

25mph Test

Limit Reading

HC 75 221

CO% 0.42 2.38

NO ppm 864 545
Old 12-02-2006, 08:01 PM

Default Re: FAILED E-test. Amazing Idle, Horrible 25mp/h. What Would Cause? (PINKS)

so is my car a gas guzzling pig because of this 02 sensor or what?
Old 12-02-2006, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: FAILED E-test. Amazing Idle, Horrible 25mp/h. What Would Cause? (PINKS)

Are you running an o2 sensor? What about a cat? It looks like your not running both cause those are high *** numbers.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:39 AM

Default Re: FAILED E-test. Amazing Idle, Horrible 25mp/h. What Would Cause? (Luserkid)

cat is brand new, 02's i dunno how good they are as they were on the car when i nought it, not throwing an 02 code though
Old 12-03-2006, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How soon after using all those chemicals did you try to smog?

Has your car recently been burning oil or gas at a high rate?

Check out this link:
http://www.artsautomotive.com/thesmogstory.htm

Update 08-02-2003 -- Now that the Bay Area is an Enhanced Area, the NOx level is inspected with the smog check.

What causes high HC (hydrocarbon)? High HC is caused by incomplete combustion; in other words, the air and fuel that went in to the combustion chamber was not completely burned, now the unburned fuel has ended up in the tailpipe. Problems that can cause incomplete combustion include:

* An ignition misfire. If a spark plug does not spark, the air/fuel mixture in the combustion chamber does not burn and then goes out the tailpipe.
* Incorrect air fuel mixture. If there is not enough fuel in the combustion chamber to ignite, the fuel that is there goes out the tailpipe.
* Low compression. If the compression is too low the air/fuel mixture will not ignite and the unburned fuel will go out the tailpipe.
* A bad catalytic converter. The converter lives in the exhaust pipe and burns unburned gas as it passes through.

What causes high CO (carbon monoxide)? High CO is caused by a rich air/fuel mixture. The air fuel ratio should be 14.7 parts air to to 1 part fuel. Problems that can cause a rich mixture include:

* Problems with the feedback system (the system that regulates the fuel being added to the engine based on the amount of oxygen in the exhaust).
* Problems with a computer sensor such as the coolant temperature sensor, air flow meter, MAP sensor, etc..
* Problems with the fuel pressure. Fuel pressure that is too high can cause a rich mixture.

What causes high CO2 (carbon dioxide)? High CO2 is the product of a good running engine. The better your engine runs, the more CO2 it produces. The only way to reduce CO2 emissions is to buy a fuel efficient car. The bigger your gas guzzler, the more CO2 it makes. This is what's so sad about the recent SUV trend. In addition to depleting the worlds oil reserves, and putting our country in a position where "we will go to war to protect our oil supply", the trend of building increasingly inefficient behemoths is making the planet a less hospitable place for our species (and others) by contributing to global warming.

What causes high O2 (oxygen)? High O2 can be caused by a lean air/fuel mixture, but most of the time, noticeably high O2 is caused by either a leak in the exhaust pipe allowing air to enter, or air injection pumping air into the exhaust (this is done on some cars to aid in the burning of HC). High O2 is not a problem unless the smog machine decides the exhaust sample is too diluted to use; in which case, the car may fail the smog test for dilution.

What causes high NOx (nitric oxide)? NOx is not measured in our area currently, but if your car is registered in an enhanced area (an area that requires testing of NOx), you may run into this problem. High NOx is caused by high combustion temperatures and pressures. Problems that can cause high NOx include:

* An inoperative EGR system. The EGR system was designed specifically to reduce NOx; that's it's only function. The EGR, which stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation, allows exhaust gas to enter the combustion chamber through the intake. The exhaust gas has a cooling effect on the combustion chamber.
* Over advanced ignition timing. The more advanced the ignition timing, the higher the combustion chamber temperatures.
* Overheating. If the engine temperature is too high the NOx emissions will go up.
* Lean air/fuel mixture. If the air/fuel mixture is too lean the combustion temperature will go up.
* Compression over specification. Normally when we think of engines aging we think of the compression going down. However, there are a couple of ways the compression can increase as the engine is used. One is carbon buildup on the tops of the pistons. When carbon forms on the tops of the pistons, the combustion chamber area decreases and the compression ratio increases. The carbon can be manually scraped off the tops of the piston to correct this problem, but that would require disassembling the engine. Click here for cheap alternatives.
* Mysterious reasons. Sometimes NOx is too high and there's no obvious cause: the EGR works, the timing and advance work normally, the engine temperature is within range, the air fuel mixture is good, and the compression is within spec.. When this happens you can try a little tweaking. If there are two thermostats listed for the car, use the cooler one. If there are two spark plugs listed for the car, use the cooler one. Retard the timing 2 degrees (the maximum allowed). Clear out the EGR passage even if the passage seems fine. Cross your fingers.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FAILED E-test. Amazing Idle, Horrible 25mp/h. What Would Cause? (FuNkDrSpOt)

Now that I think about this, this question gets asked so much that I'm going to make a thread dedicated to it.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PINKS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So I failed my e-test for the second time today

The car is a 90 Civic dx with a b16a 1st gen with a pr3 ecu

The tests are basically the same, except this time, I used a bit of seafoam, guaranteed to pass bottle of crap and a bit of denatured alcohol

The car runs aparently polution free @ idle, and like a bag of **** @ 25mp/h

Idle Test

Limit Reading

HC ppm 200 101

CO % 1.0 0.00

NOppm n/a n/a

25mph Test

Limit Reading

HC 75 221

CO% 0.42 2.38

NO ppm 864 545 </TD></TR></TABLE>

Cliffnotes for you:

Your car is running extremely rich @ 25mph. Because of the richness, you're not getting a complete burn, which is increasing your HC count. Also, as a side effect, your CO is high because CO is the byproduct of combustion. Excessive combustion causes excessive CO. You have a couple of things to look at for each problem.

For HC's
* An ignition misfire. If a spark plug does not spark, the air/fuel mixture in the combustion chamber does not burn and then goes out the tailpipe.
* Incorrect air fuel mixture. If there is not enough fuel in the combustion chamber to ignite, the fuel that is there goes out the tailpipe.
* Low compression. If the compression is too low the air/fuel mixture will not ignite and the unburned fuel will go out the tailpipe.
* A bad catalytic converter. The converter lives in the exhaust pipe and burns unburned gas as it passes through.

for CO
* Problems with the feedback system (the system that regulates the fuel being added to the engine based on the amount of oxygen in the exhaust).
* Problems with a computer sensor such as the coolant temperature sensor, air flow meter, MAP sensor, etc..
* Problems with the fuel pressure. Fuel pressure that is too high can cause a rich mixture.