Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2002, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust questions - ES oval

Ok, so I've pretty much decided i'll be going the ES oval muffer/exhaust shop custom bent 2.25" tubing route with my exhaust... but I have a few questions...

For those of you with this combo on a civic (mine's a 5th generation coupe, but i assume the procedure is similar for most civics), how much did it cost you to have the mandrel bent tubing made, and did you have the shop install the whole thing after they made the tubing, or did you take it home and do it yourself?

Next question: what size is the flange/opening on the back of the stock cat... does it matter if the cat-back piping is larger than the outlet on the cat? If it's larger, should the transition be made right at the flange, or should a funnel-shaped piece be fashioned for the transition?

What about the resonator after the cat in the stock setup? I assume this is left out of the cat-back exhaust setup, and will also mean slightly more noise... but how much? Am I going to be surprised when my ES oval muffler that I thought would be relatively quiet at low RPMS ends up sounding like a swarm of bees?

Finally, how is everything mounted? I assume hangers for the muffler... did the shop have to fabricate these, or did the muffler come with ones that would work?

Sorry if I seem a bit ignorant... first exhaust I've ever done... I want to get it right the first time.

Also, anyone have any suggestions as to where I should take my car in the puget sound area of WA? Any shops that have done this setup before on a civic and are reputable and knowledgeable?

Whew, you made it to the end... thanks for reading this far

[Modified by matt-eg, 6:40 AM 6/6/2002]

[Modified by matt-eg, 7:39 AM 6/6/2002]
Old 06-05-2002, 10:57 PM

Default Re: Exhaust questions - ES oval (matt-eg)

anyone? pretty please? Ok, i'll go to bed now... maybe somebody will reply in the morning...
Old 06-06-2002, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust questions - ES oval (matt-eg)

You're worrying too much - no worries! Just tell the shop you want a 2.25 mandrel bent exhaust system with the muffler and cat you got. They'll know what to do if its what they do.