Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Exhaust fitment issues on b18 swapped ej coupe

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust fitment issues on b18 swapped ej coupe

Ok guys, so my wife had an eg hatch with a b18b1 a couple years ago, and got hit not too long ago, so we took the whole swap and put into my 94 civic coupe. Since then, I've had issues finding an exhaust to actually fit. Everything seems to be about 3 to 4 inches too short. I've tried a new stock catback exhaust, and we had to cut, and extend it to make it fit, so I got an aftermarket catback exhaust, and the same thing is happening. Got the resonator pipe bolted up to the test pipe, but the S pipe is still 3 to 4 inches from sitting in the exhaust tunnel properly.
I'm really trying not to have to cut and weld another new exhaust.
My question is, how can I tell if the header and test pipe is the correct length seeing as its a swap?
I'm almost to the point where I'm about to just cut and extend the test pipe instead of the resonator piping.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:20 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 221 Likes on 198 Posts
Default Re: Exhaust fitment issues on b18 swapped eg couoe

go to a muffler shop and get it done. It's not that difficult
Old 06-06-2017, 03:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So don't try to help at all. Just tell me to take it somewhere, and let someone else figure it out. Great advice. I'll definitely look into that.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:21 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

mugen 3 inch exhaust adapter, or ebay replicas.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:30 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Originally Posted by Josh DeMoss
So don't try to help at all. Just tell me to take it somewhere, and let someone else figure it out. Great advice. I'll definitely look into that.
How else are you going to learn? Did you think we had someone hold our precious hand and show us every single thing when it comes to working on cars? Get real..
Old 06-06-2017, 11:45 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts

The OEM route...

If it's a US-spec B18B1 from the 94+ Integra, the B-pipe and catalytic converter from an Integra that came with that motor (I'm guessing LS & RS) will work perfectly. Then just use your choice of Axle-back muffler from an EG or EK.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NVturbo
How else are you going to learn? Did you think we had someone hold our precious hand and show us every single thing when it comes to working on cars? Get real..
I was being a smart ***. Obviously, I want to fix it myself, or else I wouldn't have come here for advice. I don't like taking my **** to someone else. I like knowing that that it's done right, and done by me.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94eg!
The OEM route...

If it's a US-spec B18B1 from the 94+ Integra, the B-pipe and catalytic converter from an Integra that came with that motor (I'm guessing LS & RS) will work perfectly. Then just use your choice of Axle-back muffler from an EG or EK.
I have a 4-2-1 header with what looks to be the b1 A pipe, and a test pipe. I've tried putting an oem catback on (guy I bought it from said it was for an eg coupe, but the part number said it was for a 94 ls integra) and it was still 3 inches short. So I ordered another aftermarket catback exhaust hoping that it would actually fit because double, triple checked to make sure that it was for a 94 civic coupe, and it's still 3 inches or so short of the tunnel for the S pipe.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
mugen 3 inch exhaust adapter, or ebay replicas.
Is that just a test pipe, or some kind of extension?
Old 06-06-2017, 04:07 PM
Fish Twig

Bro.... It's a simple search....
Old 06-06-2017, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Bro.... It's a simple search....
And it would've taken you just as long to just tell me, as it took you to write that out. But ok. Thanks.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:41 AM
#1 Super Guy

Default Re: Exhaust fitment issues on b18 swapped ej coupe

My favorite part is that now when you search the internet for something, all you find is people telling other people to search. The actual content is all lost in the ether of BS.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:25 AM
Fish Twig

Keep the trolling alive, if I was able to Google for it than it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:16 AM
#1 Super Guy

Sure, sure. But cutting & pasting your results below your snarky comment (a less-than minimal effort) would definitely make the internet a better place. Especially when future people....who ARE searching first...end up in this thread (and they will) simply because it's newer.

Sorry, I've just been annoyed with the internet lately. I can no longer find anything except commercials and threads telling people to search. It sucks.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:26 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

These cars are well over 20yrs old. It's not like it's 1995 or something where no one cares to share info on how to work on these cars. However, working on these cars isn't ROCKET SCIENCE. If it's that difficult, then maybe you should either pay someone to do the work or figure it out yourself. They do make Haynes/Chilton work manuals, sold online...AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, flea market, etc.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same issue with my Del Sol. I was just talking with one of the guys over at DC Sports about it and I'll paste his comment below. I ended up purchasing a DC Sports LS Header and CAT + Del Sol Cat-Back Exhaust system. If I remember I'll post back when they arrive on how they fit.

We have seen this happen before. There is a distinct difference between the various B series chassis’. Why did Honda do this we do not know. When we design and develop that parts we have to follow whatever the OEM lengths are so with that said. GS-R is the shortest of them all and do not have a O2 sensor on the header, they are located on the catalytic converter. With a shorter header the catalytic converter is more forward and the exhaust is longer. This is the opposite for the LS/RS/GS ( non -VTEC motors) the header is longer so the catalytic converter is further back with a shorter exhaust.Sometimes when people buy used cars or do motor swaps the parts are mismatched fit causing an issue for the next owner or service person.You either have a VTEC motor swap or are running non VTEC exhaust components on a VTEC chassisIf you are in the state of CA (or any state that follows CA emissions) and want to stay street legal( CARB approved) you have to use whoever header is correct for your motor and modify the exhaust as needed. If you are not concerned with that then you can use a LS version header.Hope this helps. If you have any other questions feel free to contact us.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NVturbo
These cars are well over 20yrs old. It's not like it's 1995 or something where no one cares to share info on how to work on these cars. However, working on these cars isn't ROCKET SCIENCE. If it's that difficult, then maybe you should either pay someone to do the work or figure it out yourself. They do make Haynes/Chilton work manuals, sold online...AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, flea market, etc.
I have done countless searches over the last week or so. Trust me, posting here is always a last resort for me because I always get fucked with for asking for advice. It's sad that I can't even ask fellow car enthusiasts for advice without getting talked down to. A week ago, I didn't know that there were 3 different "A pipes" for these motors, but yet, I've referenced it in my original post. I have done quite a bit of searching with no luck finding the answer to my question.
I was trying not to take the easy way out, and take it to a shop, or cut, and piece **** together. I like my cars to be done right. Not zip tied, and half assed.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jedhobbs
I had the same issue with my Del Sol. I was just talking with one of the guys over at DC Sports about it and I'll paste his comment below. I ended up purchasing a DC Sports LS Header and CAT + Del Sol Cat-Back Exhaust system. If I remember I'll post back when they arrive on how they fit.
Thank you for this!
Old 08-15-2017, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Update to my previous post.

I finally got around to putting the exhaust in. Everything fit perfectly except for the cat-back. I had to have the elbow between the resonator section and the axle-back section shortened by about two inches so it would fit. However, the advice from DC Sports about fitting the header and the Cat together was spot on.

Hope this helps!

Jed
Old 08-15-2017, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

It is unlikely that all of the manufacturers who create cat-back exhausts for '92-95 Civic Coupes are building them wrong exactly the same way... so your issue is likely a combination of the header and cat (or test pipe) combination. The response from DC Sports illustrates a common problem with using a pre-2000 GSR style header... there is no O2 sensor bung welded in them and the OE cat for that application is longer than a civic cat by about 4 inches. So, your solution is either to spend time and money trying to find a header and cat or test pipe that are the proper length for your car and new cat-back OR cut, lengthen and re-weld your test pipe to meet the inlet plate of your cat-back and be done with it. Either way, your cat-back will not need to be modified, and likely, if you change to a different one later, it will fit perfectly too.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FFS all this hand holding and demanding participation trophies. Get an adjustable test pipe and move on with your life.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Im a simple man, my cat back is 2 inches short. I buy 2 inch bolt in extension.

Name:  extension.jpg
Views: 1021
Size:  43.7 KB
Old 08-17-2017, 08:27 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Nave43
Im a simple man, my cat back is 2 inches short. I buy 2 inch bolt in extension.

Attachment 503018

Hey now, this guy is demanding a bolt-on, OEM fit and quality, off-the-shelf exhaust! Those extra 3 bolts are wayyy too much effort

Seriously tho, if you want everything to bolt up with OEM parts, maybe you shouldn't have an engine swap.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol this is great. That bolt on extension is a great idea though.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You should be able to do this with no issue, something is off

I was able to put a b16a into a 94 ex with stock exhaust and cat, using a dc sports header for a DOHC del sol

same motor and header into a 93si with stock cat and exhaust, no issues

I believe the LS and b16a headers are the same or similar, do you have a picture of your header from underneath? can you measure your cat ?