Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EX tranny on a HX??

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EX tranny on a HX??

OK....so my tranny and stall converter from my 97 Civic HX just messed up. I just recently purchased a 97 Civic EX tranny and well I was wondering if it should work in my car? I have heard lots of rumors that supposably they are not the same, and well I know that but would it work in my car? Would the car run without a problem? I know that the HX tranny has some sensors and stuff like that and the EX dont. Would the car still work? Has anyone done this before? I would really appreciated if someone could help me out. THANKS!!!!
Old 07-09-2007, 02:01 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is your HX an automatic?
Old 07-09-2007, 02:04 PM
Stouts 'n' Scotch

Default Re: (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is your HX an automatic?</TD></TR></TABLE>

He said he has a stall converter, so it must be.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:06 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (wiZCo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wiZCo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">He said he has a stall converter, so it must be.</TD></TR></TABLE>

He could be mistaken ... it's known to happen. I've had people think they have transmission coolers and torque converters on their manual Hondas.

That being said, I'm relatively sure you can't use the EX automatic transmission with the stock wiring harness and ecu, being as the HX auto is a CVT, and thus feeds information from different sensors into the ECU about what "gear" it's in.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

He could be mistaken ... it's known to happen. I've had people think they have transmission coolers and torque converters on their manual Hondas.

That being said, I'm relatively sure you can't use the EX automatic transmission with the stock wiring harness and ecu, being as the HX auto is a CVT, and thus feeds information from different sensors into the ECU about what "gear" it's in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah its an auto.....so is the car going to work with the EX tranny without changing ECU's or anything like that? I just wanted to know what else I was going to have to change since I know my car has a CVT tranny....
Old 07-10-2007, 11:16 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (JesusGLS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JesusGLS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah its an auto.....so is the car going to work with the EX tranny without changing ECU's or anything like that? I just wanted to know what else I was going to have to change since I know my car has a CVT tranny....</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That being said, I'm relatively sure you can't use the EX automatic transmission with the stock wiring harness and ecu, being as the HX auto is a CVT, and thus feeds information from different sensors into the ECU about what "gear" it's in.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-10-2007, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does any1 else know anything about this?..Do I really have to change the harness? I really appreciate your help Eran !!! but trying to see if any other members know anything about this...
Old 07-10-2007, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not only that but the HX automatic transmission mounts and also passenger side frame rail are different then any other 96-00 civic
Old 07-11-2007, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (USDMCIVICHATCH)

OK.....now where to you get all this info from...this is starting to su*k......jaja.. o well..is there anything else that its different?
Old 07-11-2007, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OK....thanks for your help guys....I just went and checked it out myself and compared both of the trannys and they are way fuc*ing different....Wouldnt recommend for someone to mess up their auto HX tranny...jajaja...thanks anyways!!!
Old 07-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, and if you changed ecu's to the Y8 one then you'd have a tranny that worked decent but your HX engine wouldn't work right!
Old 07-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (klungemonger)

By any chance does any of you have a HX auto tranny for sale? or know any1 that might have one?
Old 07-12-2007, 03:22 PM
im hench irl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think an auto to manual swap would be cheaper than buying a new cvt tranny, eh?