Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Everyone please look and give me some input on this problem.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Everyone please look and give me some input on this problem.....

OK here's the problem....someone told me that I had the ground strap coming from my valve cover to my radiator support attatched to the wrong bolt on my valve cover....could anyone tell me if it is attached to the right one or not? Here's a pic.....
Old 07-13-2003, 06:17 PM

its sopposed to be on the that one bolt just beside the the spark plug wire
Old 07-13-2003, 06:19 PM

Default Re: (DevLishPlaya)

so i don't have it on the right one?
Old 07-13-2003, 06:21 PM

yup... just move it to the one just above it, and its gonna be aiiyte
Old 07-13-2003, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Everyone please look and give me some input on this problem..... (99D16VTECCivic)

valve cover looks good is there any technical difference if you ground it at one bolt vs the other?
Old 07-13-2003, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Everyone please look and give me some input on this problem..... (teal_dx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teal_dx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">valve cover looks good is there any technical difference if you ground it at one bolt vs the other?</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanx man...the reason i ask is b/c my car drops idle sometimes and stalls out and i talked to someone off of here today and he said that it could be b/c i have the valve cover grounded instead of the spark plugs....he said that if i move the ground to that other bolt that it would probably fix my problem but i wanted to get some other input before i did it.....he said that my spark plugs are having to pull a ground from somewhere else on my car which could be causing it to stall out....anyone else....and could someone post some pix of their valve cover and where it is grounded at?
Old 07-13-2003, 07:42 PM
big strong guy

Default Re: Everyone please look and give me some input on this problem..... (99D16VTECCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99D16VTECCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

thanx man...the reason i ask is b/c my car drops idle sometimes and stalls out and i talked to someone off of here today and he said that it could be b/c i have the valve cover grounded instead of the spark plugs....he said that if i move the ground to that other bolt that it would probably fix my problem but i wanted to get some other input before i did it.....he said that my spark plugs are having to pull a ground from somewhere else on my car which could be causing it to stall out....anyone else....and could someone post some pix of their valve cover and where it is grounded at?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Where you have it grounded Will be Sufficiant!

If you want, You can move it to a valve cover bolt? But i presume You will notice No differnce!

Eric
Old 07-14-2003, 04:39 AM

Default Re: Everyone please look and give me some input on this problem..... (rainmanEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rainmanEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Where you have it grounded Will be Sufficiant!

If you want, You can move it to a valve cover bolt? But i presume You will notice No differnce!

Eric </TD></TR></TABLE>

so you're sayin' that it probably won't fix my problem?
Old 07-14-2003, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Everyone please look and give me some input on this problem..... (DSeriesBeeKilla)

I really don't think it matters.

Mine was up front on the Cx motor. But, when I dropped the GSR in I noticed it looked so much cleaner with that wire out of the way.....

So, mine is on the rear top side of the valve cover and grounds out over by the shock tower
Old 07-14-2003, 07:12 AM

Default Re: Everyone please look and give me some input on this problem..... (DSeriesBeeKilla)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DSeriesBeeKilla &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

so you're sayin' that it probably won't fix my problem?</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's where I have my ground on my engine
Old 07-14-2003, 07:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Everyone please look and give me some input on this problem..... (brcivic411)

Regardless of whether it fixes the prolem or not, you should move it to the right spot...
Old 07-14-2003, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Everyone please look and give me some input on this problem..... (Nameless EJ6)

funny...that's where mine was since i've had it...can't imagine why else that bolt would be there... i've never had an electrical problem, either.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

as long as the point where its suposed to go is decently electrically connected to the same point as you have it now (which im pretty sure it is) you won't notice any difference at all, most importantly check the connection for corrosion etc, and like someone said dont have it too tight so it snaps when you rag it...
Old 07-14-2003, 03:43 PM

Default Re: (goodbyegti)

ok today at work i tried to put it on top of the valve cover...but b/c of the rubber gromet that is on that bolt, the ground wire cannot be attached to that bolt so therefore it has been in the right place....thanks for all the input....
Old 07-14-2003, 04:23 PM

Default Re: (DSeriesBeeKilla)

How many times is this topic going to be covered. You have it in the wrong place, plain and simple. You're grounding the valve cover, not the head. Grounding the valve cover does JACK ****. If you want it to be right, put it on a head bolt.
Old 07-14-2003, 04:32 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (743)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 743 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How many times is this topic going to be covered. You have it in the wrong place, plain and simple. You're grounding the valve cover, not the head. Grounding the valve cover does JACK ****. If you want it to be right, put it on a head bolt.</TD></TR></TABLE>

go ahead and try grounding a head bolt

He has it in the correct place. If you had power steering, it mounts to the top of the power steering bracket, and if you don;t, it mounts to the threaded location there on the valve cover.

You simply cannot ground the wire to a valve cover bolt, period.

It's in the right location, don't listen to anybody that says otherwise.

And about grounding the spark plugs....they're already grounded in the head
Old 07-14-2003, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Everyone please look and give me some input on this problem..... (S8P-tuner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by S8P-tuner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">funny...that's where mine was since i've had it...can't imagine why else that bolt would be there... i've never had an electrical problem, either.</TD></TR></TABLE>

There is a reason it's there. It's either for something JDM (like a throttle cable), or something used when manufacturing it..
Old 07-14-2003, 05:37 PM
OG triple OG

Default Re: Everyone please look and give me some input on this problem..... (Nameless EJ6)

ur ***** in the right spot , mines there too and its been there ever since ive had the car
Old 07-14-2003, 06:05 PM

looks right to me
Old 07-14-2003, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Everyone please look and give me some input on this problem..... (TURSpoonEK)

these are facts, so save your ***-headed replies, i won't read them anyway.

1: Where it is grounded right now, that is doing nothing. The valve cover sits on a rubber gasket.

2: Rubber is a nonconductive material, therefore, not a good ground.

3: A gasket is something that separates two pieces of metal, therefore the valve cover is separated from the head, meaning that ground is not ever touching the head.

Now, i'll let you make this logical decision for yourself, why would honda ground a piece of metal that has no function electrically?

That's right, they would not.

So, unless that wire was intended to be a valve cover retention strap, which it wasn't, it's a ground, in fact, it is the the ground for your spark plugs.

I don't care what that guy says, "duh, the plugs are grounded to the head", not they aren't they are grounded to the head, and the head should be grounded to the car.

Disconnect the transmission ground (the only thing saving you) and see how well your car works buddy.

Okay, i'm sure there is some exact amount of resistence that a honda motor needs, but for my ****, more is better.

notice the twin 4 gauge grounds, one going directly to the head and the other to the transmission.

Oh, and my motor doesn't die, it sparks like hell.

Give it a try, not a bad mod.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=379490 a thread where i broke this down a long time ago.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:10 PM
OG triple OG

Default Re: Everyone please look and give me some input on this problem..... (Plan B)

ya im pickin up the t1r ground system this weekend
Old 07-14-2003, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: Everyone please look and give me some input on this problem..... (Plan B)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Plan B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I failed electronics class in high-school so i need some other peoples opinions.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

*edit*
Quoted from his "how-to" thread...
*/edit*

Yeah thanks for "breaking it down" for us...

because in my HELMS manual section 23-14 (grounding locations) it says... that connection "t3" for the "engine ground cable a" belongs on the VALVE COVER... funny it doesn't say head bolt... it says... VALVE COVER.

If that's not enough for you mine CAME like that from the factory... so Thanks for all the help there guy.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:23 PM

Default Re: (Emerika)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

go ahead and try grounding a head bolt

You simply cannot ground the wire to a valve cover bolt, period.

It's in the right location, don't listen to anybody that says otherwise.

And about grounding the spark plugs....they're already grounded in the head </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, you can't ground a head bolt, you're absolutely right, but in order to ground the head, you have to attach the wire to a bolt that is directly connected to the head.

Also, you're right about the spark plugs being grounded to the head, but if the head is grounded incorrectly, than are the spark plugs actually grounded?

This topic is way to opinionated to actually go anywhere. Plan B's old post was very informative, and some people in that post know what they are talking about. I guess if you are having no problems with your ground connected to your valve cover, and not to your head, than that is fine too. I am the kind of person who likes KNOWING that things are done right, and I know if I have my ground screwed into a hole in my valve cover, which is compltely insulated from my head, I know that's not right.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:56 PM

Default Re: (743)

my friends ground is in the same place as urs
Old 07-14-2003, 08:16 PM
In The Garage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YOU PEOPLE KILL ME!!!!! before you add a dumbfuck remark, think it through. (I'm not calling you a dumbfuck, Grant, just the people stating false info). The ground strap is supposed to be grounded to a bolt that goes into the head, not a "head bolt" (pretty damn obvious). the valve cover is totally spaced from the rest of the engine by the RUBBER valve cover gasket, and the RUBBER grommets on the valve cover bolts.

that ground strap is supposed to ground the head, which, in turn, grounds the spark plugs. just ****** think about it. Now, on to grounding the valve cover. WHY??? it does nothing but cause the spark plugs to draw a spark from the tranny ground, robbing ~20% spark strength. On models of civics that come with power steering, there is a bracket bolted into the head, and that strap is bolted to that bracket, thus grounding the head (and spark plugs). If you will notice, he is using a D16Z6 valve cover (on a D16Y8 motor), so of course the strap is too tight when bolted to a valve cover hold-down bolt, as it isn't designed the same.

Grant, the correct spot for the ground strap is on the power steering bracket that is bolted to the head. PLEASE everyone, please just understand that grounding a totally isolated piece of metal does absolutely NOTHING. If you know anything about electronic theory, you should understand this plain and simple, and if you don't, don't argue with me, as I am right about this. So is my boy Plan B.

Anyone who doesn't understand this can just go on grounding your spark plugs, ecu, and sensors through your transmission housing. Anyone who pulls their heads out of their asses and understands this, thank me later.
OWNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grant, please take no offense by this post, as you are cool as hell, and hooked a brotha up it's just that i've had this talk before with tons of people who "just know they know what they are talking about" because "they've seen it on their friend's cars"

You see, people who have serviced these cars in the past don't even think about what that ground strap is for, and think that the valve cover serves some kind of electrical purpose. sorry people, it's a damn valve cover. you're supposed to be grounding the damn head.

Quick Reply: Everyone please look and give me some input on this problem.....