Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EVAP control system leakage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVAP control system leakage?

First off sorry to post in here but im getting no help at all from the accord forum. My GF's 99 accord ex is throwing 2 codes. 67 and 90. From searching I know the 67 is a bad cat. converter. The 90 is EVAP control system leakage and i have no idea what that is. Also my search gave me nothing. Any help guys?
Old 04-07-2004, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: EVAP control system leakage? (civic-si-2000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic-si-2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First off sorry to post in here but im getting no help at all from the accord forum. My GF's 99 accord ex is throwing 2 codes. 67 and 90. From searching I know the 67 is a bad cat. converter. The 90 is EVAP control system leakage and i have no idea what that is. Also my search gave me nothing. Any help guys?</TD></TR></TABLE>

the evap control system normally consist of the evaporative charcoal cansiter. it's a round black cylinder that's usually mounted against the back of the firewall. it will have two tubes going to the intake manifold and the other going back to the fuel tank. the purpose of this thing is since the engine might not always burn the air/fuel mixture completely, it will capture the remaining unburn fuel and return it to the fuel tank instead of the atmosphere.this is all OBD1 stuff I'm describing the OBD2 will have a few more sensors.

also look up under the hood. there's usually a diagram of the vacuum lines, emission parts, proper spark plug gaps, and correct idle speed. that little white sticker will show you what the evap control system will look like.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: EVAP control system leakage? (sleeperciv)

Nah, thats not how it works at all.

Fuel will evaporate by itself...so with it sitting in your tank, and the EPA not wanting these vapors to escape to the atomsphere, they route them to the charcoal canister. Under certain conditions, the ECU will open the EVAP purge solenoid thus allowing vaccum from the manifold to suck out these fuel vapors from the canister.

The EPA also wanted to make sure that the ECU had a way to determine if there were holes in the EVAP plumbing lines. In order to do this, the ECU will close a valve to prevent fuel vapors from getting to the canister. When this happens, pressure should build within the tank and this is reported to the ECU by way of the fuel tank pressure sensor. So you either have a hole somewhere or perhaps you left the gas cap loose or off (common problem).

To troubleshoot, you need a Helms and a vaccum pump.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EVAP control system leakage? (EE_Chris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nah, thats not how it works at all.

Fuel will evaporate by itself...so with it sitting in your tank, and the EPA not wanting these vapors to escape to the atomsphere, they route them to the charcoal canister. Under certain conditions, the ECU will open the EVAP purge solenoid thus allowing vaccum from the manifold to suck out these fuel vapors from the canister.

The EPA also wanted to make sure that the ECU had a way to determine if there were holes in the EVAP plumbing lines. In order to do this, the ECU will close a valve to prevent fuel vapors from getting to the canister. When this happens, pressure should build within the tank and this is reported to the ECU by way of the fuel tank pressure sensor. So you either have a hole somewhere or perhaps you left the gas cap loose or off (common problem).

To troubleshoot, you need a Helms and a vaccum pump.</TD></TR></TABLE>

and just to add some OT info, JDM ECU's do not look for this sensor because it does not have the evap purge valve.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guys i knew this forum wouldn't let me down.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i got the same code on my obd1 gsr with obd2 sensors, harness and ecu. I need to get this sucker fig. out nobody can fig it out. Never heard of the canister guess i will check it out 2nite