Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Engine upgrade or engine swop ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine upgrade or engine swop ?

Greeting's

Firstly, abit of background, my F'onda (can't swear in here) is a 1995 SR4 Ballade (Civic) 4Dr 1500 5spd. Engine upgrades are polished and recessed valves (higher compression as a result), slight mod to air intake (90mm K&N cone filter with more mods coming soon), uprated clutch assembly, Group C racing spec sparkplugs and HT leads, but most of all, an AMG Stage II 70mm exhaust (3 boxes), stock branches for now. Engine is serviced only on a load testing duno and runs on 100octane fuel. A 45mm drop all round Bilstein shocks & springs, uprated/replaced/renewed all suspension components from damping bushings to stearing locating points! 17" ATS Reflex rims with Dunlop Supersport 7000 rubber, uprated and balanced braking system (discs all round) front and rear. I am thinking about uprating the shock towers to accept the larger VTEC brake discs and calipers.

The reason why I've done so is because I love slalom racing, I used to race off road in sandmasters and Baja bugs and so I am not interested in top ends or drags, although my car does regularly see 7000rpm, mainly when I'm chasing and surprising VTEC's and Audi 1.8Turbo's.

What I would like to know from persons of better understanding is I was thinking either to shoe-horn the DOCK engine (1.6L 16V DOHC) & gearbox or using the current powerplant and trick it out. Namely adding a slip diff, trick cam gear, double valve springs, Weber Carb (36DCD) and then using a Jackson Racing supercharger on said 1.5L .

My reasoning is I want better punch midrange for overtaking and better powered inertia through cornering. I have spoken to some people but as with the motor industry, everyone has there opinion, now the problem is that in South Africa, not many people know how to modify Honda's, especially anything that isn't a VTEC.
So here I am on the net...

Any help would be appreciated.

regards

a Mini Cooper S hater ...