Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

engine swap help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine swap help!!!

Hey everyone sorry for asking but ive search an couldnt find much but i was wondering if the 97 civic ex harness will plug and play with the obd2 b18b motor or will i have to redo the wiring harnesses?
Old 08-06-2007, 10:03 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: engine swap help!!! (DCshoecompany)

you will keep the same harness. and the ObD 1 fuel injectors, alt and starter, the distributor you Will use the OBD 2 and just ree-pin it to the OBD 1 plugs. and that is basically it the rest is just plug and play.

any other Q.'s I'll be glad to help.

hope that this answered your question.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:30 AM

Default Re: engine swap help!!! (mustang5.slow)

thanks for that part of the info so the the 97 civic ex are obd1? what distributor do i need to use civic or the integra? and if the 97 ex was the single cam vtec motor will the harness still have the same fitment as what u describe? thanks if you could help out agian...
Old 08-06-2007, 11:43 AM
* B A N N E D *

no they are OBD2 and you can use the OBD 2 distributor with your OBD 1 harness.

and you will have to wire your vtec plugs. and get a p28 ECU.

BTW no prob. keep asking.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:38 AM

Default Re: engine swap help!!! (mustang5.slow)

So what happen if a ls vtec motor was getting drop in would it be the same as the above info???
Old 08-07-2007, 12:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't really like mustang5.slow's information on this one...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DCshoecompany &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey everyone sorry for asking but ive search an couldnt find much but i was wondering if the 97 civic ex harness will plug and play with the obd2 b18b motor or will i have to redo the wiring harnesses?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You don't have to do any plugs on the harness. The harness is OBD-II, the motor is OBD-II. It's 100% plug and play as far as plugs go, you don't need to use a diferent starter, alternator, nor injectors as mustang5.slow led you to believe.

Also, you can't use a P28 ECU without a conversion harness - and it's completely worthless if you did. Chipping an OBD-I ECU to run an LS basemap is probably the biggest waste on an OBD-II car.

Just plug in the stock LS ECU, it'll work fine unless the motor is 99/00 in which case you'll need a OBD-IIa to OBD-IIb conversion harness.

If you were to go with an LS/VTEC you'd need to tune it, so you'd have to go with a OBD-IIa to OBD-I conversion harness and run either a chipped ECU, or a tunable ECU such as AEM or Hondata.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:34 PM

Default Re: engine swap help!!! (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't really like mustang5.slow's information on this one...

You don't have to do any plugs on the harness. The harness is OBD-II, the motor is OBD-II. It's 100% plug and play as far as plugs go, you don't need to use a diferent starter, alternator, nor injectors as mustang5.slow led you to believe.

Also, you can't use a P28 ECU without a conversion harness - and it's completely worthless if you did. Chipping an OBD-I ECU to run an LS basemap is probably the biggest waste on an OBD-II car.

Just plug in the stock LS ECU, it'll work fine unless the motor is 99/00 in which case you'll need a OBD-IIa to OBD-IIb conversion harness.

If you were to go with an LS/VTEC you'd need to tune it, so you'd have to go with a OBD-IIa to OBD-I conversion harness and run either a chipped ECU, or a tunable ECU such as AEM or Hondata.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for that info it will be very useful to what i have planed for my car..also can i do the OBD-IIa to OBD-11b harness conversion my self or is there web sites that sells them?? thanks agian i have thought about it and am goin to do LS/VTEC

another question would i have to get diff exhaust pipping or will my stock ex pipping bolt up to the ls motor?
Old 08-07-2007, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DCshoecompany &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
thanks for that info it will be very useful to what i have planed for my car..also can i do the OBD-IIa to OBD-11b harness conversion my self or is there web sites that sells them?? thanks agian i have thought about it and am goin to do LS/VTEC</TD></TR></TABLE>

the engine harness would be a plug n play, the difference in the obd2's are the ecu's.

here this might help you for the vtec wiring on the lsvtec question:
http://www.rywire.com/store/
Old 08-07-2007, 01:02 PM

Default Re: engine swap help!!!

QUOTE=philosofy1]

the engine harness would be a plug n play, the difference in the obd2's are the ecu's.

here this might help you for the vtec wiring on the lsvtec question:
http://www.rywire.com/store/[/QUOTE]

thanks for that info

Does anyone know if i have to get a exhaust system or would my stock bolt up the ls stock headers????[