Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Engine starts but then dies

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 03:48 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine starts but then dies

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with my Civic Aerodeck 1.5 (year 2000). In the morning it starts normally but then, after about a minute or less, the rpm starts dropping until the engine dies. If I try to start it again it starts, but it dies sooner than the previous time. Trying to start it a few more times and it doesn't start anymore. On the same day, at night, if I try to start it again I get the same results: starts normally but then dies. Today I tried to start it and then throttle it while it was warming up. The engine started and was responding to the throttle but after minute or less it stopped responding, rpm dropped and died. Never got the MIL (Malfunctioning Indication Lamp) blinking.

Any clue on this?

Thank you.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Engine starts but then dies

How's the fuel pressure? Can you hook up a gauge and see?
how does the main relay look?
Old 02-04-2017, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Starting Problems
Old 02-05-2017, 02:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Check your main relay
Old 02-05-2017, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

never hurts to fire up the soldering iron lol:

Honda Acura Essential Electrical Repair Website. Troubleshooting Main Relay, Coil, Igniter, etc.

if you cant handle that get a used tested good mitsuba or denso unit from fleabay.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by zoso1981
Hi all,

I'm having a problem with my Civic Aerodeck 1.5 (year 2000). In the morning it starts normally but then, after about a minute or less, the rpm starts dropping until the engine dies. If I try to start it again it starts, but it dies sooner than the previous time. Trying to start it a few more times and it doesn't start anymore. On the same day, at night, if I try to start it again I get the same results: starts normally but then dies. Today I tried to start it and then throttle it while it was warming up. The engine started and was responding to the throttle but after minute or less it stopped responding, rpm dropped and died. Never got the MIL (Malfunctioning Indication Lamp) blinking.

Any clue on this?

Thank you.

I had this very same problem, check fuel relay, fuses, pressure, injectors, filter. Mine turned out to be the pump was burnt out from trying to keep up
Old 02-07-2017, 01:48 AM
Trial User

Hello all,

thank you very much for your inputs. Regarding to your suggestions:
- I cannot measure the fuel pressure;
- main relay - difficult access. It is located on the left side near the direction column, but the plug is towards the floor. I was able to remove the plug but I could not remove the relay. I was even trying to remove the inner part leaving the outer box in place, but my capabilities are not the best; I could only release one of the sides of the relay, but I'll give it another try today.

Thank you all once again.

Hugo
Old 02-07-2017, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by zoso1981
Hello all,

thank you very much for your inputs. Regarding to your suggestions:
- I cannot measure the fuel pressure;
- main relay - difficult access. It is located on the left side near the direction column, but the plug is towards the floor. I was able to remove the plug but I could not remove the relay. I was even trying to remove the inner part leaving the outer box in place, but my capabilities are not the best; I could only release one of the sides of the relay, but I'll give it another try today.

Thank you all once again.

Hugo
To check the relay, simply turn your key to "on" position without starting engine, and listen closely for it to click allowing the pump to prime the lines, also take back seat out of the car and listen for the pump priming. It should be a high pitch sound but it's quiet. If it's a low tone, you pump could be on the way out and if you don't hear it then you may need to replace it. As for pressure goes, try an get a hold of a pressure gauge, around $80ish and we'll worth it knowing you have pressure and how much. Hope this helps!