Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Engine is shaking real hard i need some help

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine is shaking real hard i need some help

wats up all i turned on my car 2day and all of sudden is strted 2 shake real hard i think its called the gear meter but not sure with the 1-6 numbers keeps goin up and down and im not even pressing on the gas when i start 2 drive the engine stops shaking but once i stop it starts 2 shake again and the meter goes bak up and down so does any1 know the problem if so plz post up thnx
Old 02-24-2008, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont quite understand your post. but if the engine is shaking real bad, it could be a broke motor mount, or if its not running on all cylinders it will run really ruff and shake the motor. how does it do when your driving?
Old 02-24-2008, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Engine is shaking real hard i need some help (ahmedmonasar)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ahmedmonasar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wats up all i turned on my car 2day and all of sudden is strted 2 shake real hard i think its called the gear meter but not sure with the 1-6 numbers keeps goin up and down and im not even pressing on the gas when i start 2 drive the engine stops shaking but once i stop it starts 2 shake again and the meter goes bak up and down so does any1 know the problem if so plz post up thnx</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like a vacuum leak if I'm reading this correctly.

The "gear meter" you speak of, I do believe is the tachometer. What's happening is either A) The FITV, B) the IACV, or C) There's a leak in the vacuum system - is throwing off the vacuum of your intake system, which is creating a surging idle as your car can't hold a steady idle with random air coming in.

The tachometer reads RPM (engine speed).

As it gets very low, the car starts to shake a lot as it's ready to stall out, then it kicks back up and it's fine - that's why it's revving.

Generally a simple problem, generally a pain in the *** to diagnose.

Vacuum test the intake system, a FITV or IACV problem usually just makes the idle surge, but if it's accelerating like you're giving it gas (but you're not) that's usually the sign of a vacuum leak. Vacuum pressure test the intake system, find where it's leaking, fix the leak, and it should be fine.

EDIT:
Or I could be completely wrong and the "gear meter" you speak of could be something different altogether O.o
Old 02-24-2008, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine is shaking real hard i need some help (Syndacate)

One possiblity that might explain the shaking is that a spark plug is broken and you are losing compression. You'll see the ignition wire rise up and down each time the plug fires.